Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's the littlest things...

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I can only imagine how difficult it must be right now for a city dweller.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What about a resident of a crowded third-world country that thinks it's second-world?

A friend living in the Philippines has been regularly updating me on his situation. They're on a lockdown where you can't go through checkpoints without a pass, and have been for a month. Only one pass can be issued to a household. Things like stores, ATMs, and even where you apply for the pass are on the OTHER SIDE of the checkpoint, and as an American, he isn't eligible for a pass.

April 1, the president issued a shoot-to-kill order for anyone resisting the lockdown. Today, the police at the checkpoints are being replaced with military, and what few things were open are being shut down.

He thinks I should move there. Um, NO.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Fella on another forum is a Canadian stuck in Mumbai
    If cops don't want you hanging around on the street there, they lay a beating on you or make you do pushups and deep knee bends,
    lol and then probably beat on you with sticks some more.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I was in Canada in March for a ski trip. Had to cut the trip short since we were worried the airports might close and we would be stuck there.

I had been at a remote lodge with no TV following the news on the internet. Quite different to see the news on TV. I flew out of Calgary and spent the night there before my flight. There was a report on Canadian TV of a woman who returned to Canada from India while not feeling well. She complained that "nobody stopped her", "nobody took her temperature". What about some personal responsibility?

As we reopen economies, we will have to expect people to use some common sense and take some personal responsibility. So far it seems people are behaving well enough in the US. But I wonder how long that can last and how much common sense we can expect as thing loosen up.

No matter how we ease restrictions, people are going to die. We will have to accept some loss of life in balance with moving on with life. That is going to be a difficult conversation to have. Even though we accept loss of life in balance with life all the time. People do not like to admit it, but it is necessary for society to function.

It's a world wide problem for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I was in Canada in March for a ski trip. Had to cut the trip short since we were worried the airports might close and we would be stuck there.

I had been at a remote lodge with no TV following the news on the internet. Quite different to see the news on TV. I flew out of Calgary and spent the night there before my flight. There was a report on Canadian TV of a woman who returned to Canada from India while not feeling well. She complained that "nobody stopped her", "nobody took her temperature". What about some personal responsibility?

As we reopen economies, we will have to expect people to use some common sense and take some personal responsibility. So far it seems people are behaving well enough in the US. But I wonder how long that can last and how much common sense we can expect as thing loosen up.

No matter how we ease restrictions, people are going to die. We will have to accept some loss of life in balance with moving on with life. That is going to be a difficult conversation to have. Even though we accept loss of life in balance with life all the time. People do not like to admit it, but it is necessary for society to function.
    Just seen todays death toll, what the heck are you guys doing down there!
    4928 dead in a 24 hour period is not business as usual.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of factors.

Our city has had 9 deaths in the last week attributed to COVID. 5 were in a nursing facility with 12 total patients and 14 staff. 4 were in an "assisted living facility", where there are now nearly 40 staff that tested positive.

A friend is moving to Tennessee. He called the local health department to ask about the 8 reported deaths in the county down there. All were in nursing homes.

There are people who are more susceptible to what this virus can do. I fall in two of the groups that tend to die from it more than others, but that means I have a 3 or 4% chance of dying if I get it, instead of a fraction of a percent. When I had pneumonia a few years back, I was told I was in a 5% mortality group. So, I keep way from sick people and self monitor rather frequently.

What people don't think about is that COVID deaths are about the same level, and affect the same groups, as your average influenza strain. But there's a face to put on this particular one, though - the puffer ball picture. There are tests to isolate this particular one. There is international blame to apply to [insert politician name here] for this particular one.

The old SARS is still around. So is Swine Flu and Bird Flu. They still kill people. But, if someone caught any of them right now, absent taking a specific test to isolate, they'd all be counted as COVID infections, since the classification criteria is "flu-like symptoms".
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Phew good, then I don't need to worry about it any more then I worry about tuberculosis.

Blog Entries
    Ah, TB... One of the stories on the lockdown in the Philippines was about a family of 5, 4 of which have TB and cannot get access to their medications, because they're not allowed to travel to the doctor. If they had COVID, they'd be all but dragged out of their home to be quarantined in a medical facility, but they don't, so they're quarantined at home, where they'll probably die.

But not of COVID-19!

I said elsewhere that lockdowns are the perfect political solution...

If people die in spite of them, it was because "local officials did not enforce it enough."

If people survive in spite of them, it was because "we moved quickly, so don't argue next time we impose one."

If people are found dead in their homes because they obeyed and didn't go out to get food or medicine, it's because "we need to improve our social welfare system, so don't complain when we boost your taxes."
    Jeff

'13 XT250

um, a third of the worlds population has TB in them,
    source: https://theconversation.com/tubercul...-stop-it-56645

IMHO the biggest difference between TB and Corona virus is TB is shaped like a worm and Corona is shaped like a bur.