Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: It's the littlest things...

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    There are a lot of factors. ...
    The concerning factor I see right now is a US attrition rate surpassing the rest of the world by a huge factor and that indicates you guys have a huge problem on your hands, but from a national perspective y'all seem to want to trivialize the danger by calling it just another flu with a slight chance of fatality.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What I see is similar to other "just discovered" diseases - as you test more people, you see more cases. I would venture to say that, right now, only a few percentage points of the population of the world has been tested for COVID19. As the percentage increases, so do the number of positive cases.

The spread of COVID hasn't been as steep a ramp as the graphs depict. And the number of undetected cases is probably great, too. Few people get tested unless they suspect that they're infected. And just because you test negative today, does not mean that you'll stay negative. The numbers given out in various places of "70% exposure" are likely to happen, over the next couple of years. A lot will depend on how close we live to transportation hubs, where it will continue to spread over time, and how much we and our friends travel.

Probably, once they start including COVID in our annual flu shots, we might "all" test positive for it.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Blog Entries
    Had to take an online Sexual Harassment training class as part of being employed by the college. In it, they said that the only person-to-person contact that was really acceptable in the work place was a handshake; anything else could be considered harassment by the other party. Ooops, COVID is taking that last safe haven of the touchy-feely crowd away.

While researching what the latest batch of restrictions being imposed by our governor, I found information about what they're going through in Michigan - if you don't sell something on the approved list of "emergency supplies", you're not allowed to open your store. If you do sell those things, you have to cordon off any part of your store that has non-approved items in it.

Is that an admission that they don't think "social distancing" is enough? Do they want to punish people for doing things like home repair, gardening, or reading books they didn't own before cower-in-place order was imposed?

It seems counter-intuitive, from from the standpoint of keeping the populace under control, to deny them access to the things they need to distract themselves. Not to mention that it's driving them to online vendors of non-approved stuff. This reduces tax revenue to local governments (the state has ensured that they get THEIR share of online sales taxes), and making it less likely that the local businesses will recover when things "settle down".

Maybe they just want to help Amazon sell more of their "Can't Realize A Profit" items?
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Sexual harassment lol I could help you fail that one fast, I was one of only 4 males working in an organization with over 200 nurses, almost all female right up to the CEO, it was awesome, I was always being sexually harassed. :I lived in a good time.

Rode all day today, it hurts everywhere, going riding all day tomorrow and see if I can fix that

Blog Entries
    If you ride on your head, everything will shake back to where it was. Net effect should be zero, assuming you don't crash while on your head.

The class covered M->F, F->M, M->M, and F->F, as well as saying just about anything to someone with their own personal opinion of their true gender. Including that the previous sentence could be deemed to be sexual harassment towards that last group.

Watching "live" TV in the era (error?) of Social Distancing is painful at best. It reminds me of every Zoom/Skype/Webex/whatever video conferencing call I've been on, and not in a good way. You really can't tell what's going on, you're distracted by the jerky video, and the participants have no clue how good or bad their audio is, or even where the microphone is so they can direct their voice toward it. Or they try to do it with a phone-based "selfie cam", so their backgrounds are spinning randomly as the all-important "them" is centered.
    Jeff

'13 XT250

Blog Entries
    Today, our governor activated the Emergency Broadcast System to tell us citizens that the new COVID emergency procedures are in place, and that, among other things, we should "celebrate the upcoming holidays virtually".

I guess that means we stay home and send each other pictures of the dishes we might have made if there was someone coming over to eat them...
    Jeff

'13 XT250

Going riding today
    in the woods, not too many coronaviruses roaming around out in the woods yet.
    I feel badly for city people, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to live in a hi-rise apartment building now.