Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here into Trials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Question Anybody here into Trials

Contributor 2000 Posts! Diane_N's Avatar
    Between the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains, NY
    Love to watch 'em, a bit too old and chubby to do 'em. Welcome to BBO.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/bikinbiddy/dsc01293-1.jpg

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane_N View Post
    Love to watch 'em, a bit too old and chubby to do 'em. Welcome to BBO.
    +1 to that! Let's see some more of the fun you have out there. Show us why we should be out there.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Thumbs up Too old !!! older then 56 ?

As for the chub part, Trials is a full body exercise!
    me:
    & here's a riding partner going clean on the same rock, he's 58 y.o
    notice the one and one finger,
    that's how it should be done, Not like the training course guys teach you!

Want to learn to ride so well the motorcycle test is just a joke, here is my best friend 2 years before he took his motorcycle training course: ...former skateboarder

same rock from a different angle just so you can see how big that rock really is:

Another one of me:

The cool thing about hosting Trials events is you get to mark out sections for the expert riders to attempt, here's one that has a 15 foot run at a 12 foot, undercut rock face. ...think a motorcycle could ride up that?

...the key is 3rd gear from a dead stop, rev it up and drop the clutch

It takes big stones to ride big rocks like that one, first guy to make it has the rock named after him

Time to take my dog Diesel for a run:

I'll see if I can find some pictures of some really rotund riders for you later
    They do exist and have a real traction advantage
    ...did I convince you yet ?

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Note this is not like a speeding event in the dirt like Scrambling, Cross County Racing, to Enduros. Also on some of the next to impossigle sections fellow competitors were there to give a competitor a hand if the competitor went down.

In the rare one where we had any bike to try out they could use KNOBBIE tyres when Tials competitors used Univiseral pattern tyres, PLUS one had to compete from start to finish, along with practicing in a standing position & Trials pointed out the fingers on the clutch & throttle position.

Though bikes at the start were almost normal bikes with a lot removed to cut down weight, ground clearance & such, while in the latter few year it has been an almost step though frame with a very small petroil tanks & that much better to where THEY tackle sections we would never have in the starting years.

Also my one advantage was that I live in the Okanagan Valley of B.C., which is in part of the ROCKIES. Though at the start I would look for rough riding areas in the bush, which is one of the advantages of an Observed Trials bike. Meaning you sort of needed a different bike for the paved roads or hwy riding. Oh yes at the starting years we did NOT wear a crash helmet, but then note an Observed Trials rider does not wear a full face helmet these days.
    Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you!!!!!!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    I spent a month laying our 40 sections, meaning one did not have 10 or 12 trials have to compete in both at least NOTHING WRONG with that. Also I have competed in Trials of where some one hauled some rocks for TOUGH sections.

We had some Jr. riders of 14 & I bunched them in three to start off. Gave them a piece of stiffer paper along with a part of a pencil. They wanted to know what this was. We did not have one knowing enough to be an observer at the different sections. So told all to mark this card like a golf game & not to cheat.

I often scooted to where these younger riders might be & they had never seen seen secions layed out for Junior, to Expert riders. These kids being such good riders they wanted to tackle the Expert sections & they often made those "clean in feet up riding" so believe me there are a are a group that are GOOD Trials rides & do nto need high speeding events.

Not you do not race to get to the section, but ride feet up & the Observer will tell you who will tackle the section before you do.

Also if you laid out the sections, or had halp in laying out the sections you cannot compete for you have tackled so many of the sections. I rad into this at an event I laid out & my Trials iron was a '47 Royal Enfield 350cc bike, but could NOT enter the sections due to prior experience.

Also the next dar or week later you & another rider will be removing some of the tapes & signs indicating the sections for the good of those that like to bicycle, hike or hunt in that terrain. SO there is more then just being a competitor in Observed Trials.
    Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you!!!!!!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    As for the chub part, Trials is a full body exercise!
    me:
    & here's a riding partner going clean on the same rock, he's 58 y.onotice the one and one finger,
    that's how it should be done, Not like the training course guys teach you!

Want to learn to ride so well the motorcycle test is just a joke, here is my best friend 2 years before he took his motorcycle training course: ...former skateboarder
    same rock from a different angle just so you can see how big that rock really is:

Another one of me:

The cool thing about hosting Trials events is you get to mark out sections for the expert riders to attempt, here's one that has a 15 foot run at a 12 foot, undercut rock face. ...think a motorcycle could ride up that?

...the key is 3rd gear from a dead stop, rev it up and drop the clutch

It takes big stones to ride big rocks like that one, first guy to make it has the rock named after him

Time to take my dog Diesel for a run:

I'll see if I can find some pictures of some really rotund riders for you later
    They do exist and have a real traction advantage
    ...did I convince you yet ?
    Waaaay cool Trials (ran into this one, glad I did), and Diesel is also cool
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

I wish I had 1/10 the skill to do it.
    Ride Naked
    77 KZ650
    03 ZRX1200R
    89 KX125
    01 ZX-9R
    18 H2SX SE

Quote Originally Posted by kthkern View Post
    KZ Is the best!!!

Truly awesome
    Ride Naked
    77 KZ650
    03 ZRX1200R
    89 KX125
    01 ZX-9R
    18 H2SX SE

Quote Originally Posted by kthkern View Post
    KZ Is the best!!!

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    I love watching, too, but I've never been tempted to try it. Years of falling off of horses were enough self-abuse for me.

Kudos to you for what you're doing - those are some great photos!