RIP "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

If you grew up watching wrestling, you know who Dusty Rhodes was. If not? Then you might not have ever heard of him.

Growing up, some of my best memories from my pre-teen and early teen years were from being among the first in our extended family to have cable and inviting all my cousins and their families over on Saturday evenings to watch wrestling from Georgia and the Mid-Atlantic areas on TBS.

Looking at the performers from today, you would never imagine he was a guy who could go for more than an hour, several days a week.

An amazing performer who even now, years after his in-ring retirement, will be missed.
    2007 Suzuki SV650 Naked - Daily Rider
    1994 Honda Nighthawk 250 - First Bike
    1981 Honda CB650 Custom - Project Bike

I grew up with the early days of WWF and am quite familiar with him and many others of that era. I used to work across the street from Caesar's Palace where Wrestlemania was hosted and served a lot of the wrestling stars that stayed at said property across the street, and some of them even frequented the property several times a year outside of WWF activities like Mark Calloway (the Undertaker). I even went to high school with Shawn Hickenbottom (AKA Shawn Michaels) when I lived in Texas. I never got to meet Rhodes though.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    sigpic
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

rip I never knew people admitted to watching wrestling

Roddy Piper is my favourite, though many stand out.
      2004 Sportster sold
      2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
      Sears putt put 109cc-- sold
      1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
      2016 T100 Bonny

Comment

I grew up watching WWF during the days of the Iron Sheik, Piper, the beginnings of Hulkamania, and Randy "macho man" Savage. Strangely I've never gotten into following MMA.
        When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
        sigpic
        08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
        Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
        my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
        MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

"Haystack" Calhoun was my hero. Go ahead, look him up!
          Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Being from Pittsburgh, the matches that Bruno had with Calhoun are still somewhat legendary.
            2007 Suzuki SV650 Naked - Daily Rider
            1994 Honda Nighthawk 250 - First Bike
            1981 Honda CB650 Custom - Project Bike

Comment

Working...
            X