Started CDL training/school tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started CDL training/school tonight

I don't know that I'll ever go out on the road but I've started CDL training in the evenings and will be doing this through the end of May. I am the manager of the program and want to know more, so that's why I'm taking the program. And it never hurts to have more knowledge and get another credential, so.....

Putting yourself in the student role right now? Learning anything new?
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

That's a big 10-4 Rubber Ducky.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Comment

Kudos for being willing to learn more about it. I'm a firm believer that you don't have to be an expert in everything to be the "boss" but you should have enough knowledge about it to know what you're doing. It doesn't really matter if you plan on making long haul runs you're 2nd profession. Just have fun with it and use the new perspective to your advantage.

A couple of people in the state BMV, that administer the motorcycle training and licensing, have never been to a range, never been on a bike, never been to any of our training. Apparently, they're just miraculously gifted enough to know what it's about regardless of their personal experience.

When you're done, can you put up a post explaining how the drivers get the back of a 30' trailer within inches of a loading dock door in 1 try? I can't get my 8' landscape trailer straight in the driveway in 9 attempts.

Just in case Karl_L is reading: "South East bound and hammer down".
      My boss said to dress for the job I want, not the one I have.

Now, I'm waiting for my meeting with H.R. about my blue tights and cape.
      FML

sigpic

Comment

Good on ya, Missy! Never hurts to increase your skill sets, and once you learn it, nobody can say to you, "well, you couldn't know...."
        2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

Comment

Originally posted by Prof._HH View Post

When you're done, can you put up a post explaining how the drivers get the back of a 30' trailer within inches of a loading dock door in 1 try? I can't get my 8' landscape trailer straight in the driveway in 9 attempts.
          "Backing is easy" said our instructor, Miguel.

Me: Well, you have not seen me back the toy hauler, then.

We had just finished talking about helpers, so I was sure to add that it was prob because of my helper hubby.

He said it is harder with a shorter trailer. Fifty-three feet much easier.

I am not fully convinced.
          PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missy B View Post
            He's not lying. The longer wheel base is easier to control and slower to react. And i'm definitely out of practice, but as a teenager, I could back 32' cattle trailers a WHOLE LOT better than I can back a little lawn trailer as an adult. I never jack knifed a cattle trailer tying backing it up to the garden.
            SHONUFF

What I ride
            '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
            '01 Yamaha YZF600R
            '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
            '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
            '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
            '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
            '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Comment

1. I don't know that I'll ever go out on the road but I've started CDL training in the evenings and will be doing this through the end of May.
              2. And it never hurts to have more knowledge and get another credential, so.....
              1. CDL ?
              2. Good girl, way to go !
              Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

Commercial driver license
                sigpic

Comment

Me: Well, you have not seen me back the toy hauler, then.
                  But after this course we expect you to be EXPERT at it!

Semt usung tapatalk wuth my fat fingers snd a tiny keyboard!
                  Originally posted by Lezbert
                  * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
                  -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
                  -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

Okay ... this requires US to come up with Missy's Handle ... it's our duty really so ...

Let's begin ..
                    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
                    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

sigpic

Comment

How about Dragon Lady! Sounds fierce and don't-mess-with-me-ish.
                      Originally posted by Lezbert
                      * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
                      -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
                      -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

"Mohawk" something or other?
                        When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
                        sigpic
                        08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
                        Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
                        my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
                        MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

This. It's been awhile, but I can easily put a semi spot on in a loading dock.

I've also been known to unhook a tiny trailer with one motorcycle on it, push it to where I want it, and re-attach it to the tow vehicle so I wouldn't have to take 27 MORE attempts to get it where I want it.
                          Originally posted by CaptCrash
                          Look for what you're good at and lean into that corner.

Comment

Mohawk Mama??
                            Originally posted by CaptCrash
                            Look for what you're good at and lean into that corner.

Comment

I only have a class B from driving buses in college. Still - it's super helpful when u-haul is out of the 14 footer you reserved and you get this line

uhaul - "The only thing we have left is our 40 footer and you need a CDL to drive it."
                              Me - "Theoretically... would I get it at the same price at the 14 footer?"
                              Uhaul - "...sure I guess"
                              <present CDL>
                              Me - "Lets do it!"

Best move ever

We used to trailer our 48 ft hallberg rassy behind a suburban. So much easier to back than my 18 foot wakeboard boat
                              90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
                              WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
                              speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X