Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJinPgh View Post
    ...assuming you own the copy of OsX that you're hacking, anyway...
    and Snow Leopard "Upgrade" disk is a full OS (no need for Leopard first) $30.
    i can make any bike look small! sigpic

2009 BMW K1300S -- Light Grey Metallic -- Herr Schwindigkeit von Natürlichen - (R.I.P. 5.9.2012)
    Herr Schwindigkeit's rides
    2002 Honda RC51 RVT1000 -- track weapon -- Gina -- Gina's poses
    Personal blog: Mordygan.net

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthearch View Post
      It booted through to the desktop after a series of scrolling information messages and IO errors...
      The desktop apps worked (played a game of Freecell) and everything was running smoothly. However... there was no sound and the operating system could not detect the network card. If installing on a hard drive there's a chance that the proper drivers could be downloaded and configured, but when running from a CD you cannot add drivers, software, or change any settings permanently. Still, it's a fast and easy way to see Linux in operation without making changes to the computer or installing anything on the hard drive.

Have you used a bootable CD before on that computer? Two simple issued that come to mind right away. An ISO is a disk image (the contents of the disk archived into a single file) that must be written to the CD; simply copying the ISO file to a CD won't work. Second, the boot order needs to be set in the computer's BIOS to attempt booting from a CD before the hard drive. Should be set up that way already, or else you could have never installed Windows.

-------------------------

Here's a list of 192 different Linux distros that can boot and run from CDs, DVDs, etc. without being installed on the hard drive.
      http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active

Ok, so it will start to boot, then get to the DSL splash screen. Then it tells me something to the effect of 'can't find knoppix shell' and then gives the prompt "knoppix#"
      SHONUFF

What I ride
      '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
      '01 Yamaha YZF600R
      '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
      '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
      '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
      '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
      '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
        Ok, so it will start to boot, then get to the DSL splash screen. Then it tells me something to the effect of 'can't find knoppix shell' and then gives the prompt "knoppix#"
        The knoppix filesystem is on the CD, so maybe a compatibility issue with the CD-ROM drive?

Two options at this point if you still want to try Linux:
        1) Choose another distro and go again;
        2) Google search for the exact error message and attempt troubleshooting

Welcome to Linux...

Comment

Working...
        X