Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu

So I have this PC that is driving me nuts with it's slow performance. And I no longer have work macs here at home so I'm forced to bear with the stupid PC. I would love to get a mac, but..for now, it seems Ubuntu is a cheaper solution.

Any reason I shouldn't back up all my stuff then reformat and install Ubuntu??? Besides that it's scary as hell to me, but...that's just how frustrated I am with Windows that I'm willing to try it. LOL
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

Ubuntu is a nice distro for Linux n00bs.
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
    Originally posted by mz33
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Comment

The only downside to Linux systems is that if you don't know what you're doing, they will quietly allow you to really screw things up.

Tom
      In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
        The only downside to Linux systems is that if you don't know what you're doing, they will quietly allow you to really screw things up.

Tom
        ... and if you do, they'll allow it loudly.

Missy -- what are the big frustrations? I think that'll be the big decider. I've run desktop Linux before, and I had some application issues; that's what drove me to a Mac at work, TBH. I needed a toolset that wasn't on the Windows platform, but couldn't deal with some linux issues (specifically related to very direct work functions and my custom kernel, I suspect.)

Maybe Hackintosh is an option? http://www.hackintosh.com/
        --
        M.I.T.G.C #11

Current bike: '11 Ducati MTS1200S, '08 WR250X
        Bikes I have owned: '06 Sprint ST, '06 KTM 950 SM, '03 KLR 650

Comment

Do eeeeet!
          ~Teri
          Originally posted by Bugguts
          Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
          2013 Triumph Tiger 800
          2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
          2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by expatbrit View Post
            Maybe Hackintosh is an option? http://www.hackintosh.com/
            Definitely look into Hackintosh. It takes a little bit of work to get it all setup correctly, but once you do, it can run the Mac environment smoothly and natively on your PC hardware.
            Tim
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT
            vroom

Comment

Originally posted by expatbrit View Post
              ... and if you do, they'll allow it loudly.

Missy -- what are the big frustrations? http://www.hackintosh.com/
              It's not a mac!

Ok, srsly...big frustrations...

Yesterday it wouldn't find my SD Card reader, for example. Restarted, still didn't see it..and of course, I can get up, take a shower, do the dishes, do 2 loads of laundry and then it's restarted. THEN I had to shut down and restart AGAIN! to see if that would work and it did see the card reader then.

Everything is running really slow, too, in general.

I guess that now that I've had the mac exposure, I'm totally against all things Windows. I don't like, too, that something just randomly updates without me knowing it. WTH? And who knows how manythings are running on my system without me knowing it?
              PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
              sigpic

Comment

It doesn't hurt anything to try Linux. But I suggest starting with a LiveCD distro, one that boots and runs from a DVD/CD without needing to be installed on the hard drive. I'm sure Ubuntu has a bootable CD/DVD version you can test-drive. For a faster download and quick test, check out DSL (Damn Small Linux). Doesn't have every Ubuntu feature (or Ubuntu's mass), but it'll give you a feel for Linux in general.

Don't expect the latest Ubuntu to run fast on an old resource-limited computer. If it runs Windows slow, it's probably going to run Ubuntu slow as well. If it's a ten year old computer, you need to find a ten year old Linux, or a Linux distribution that's oriented to slow/older computers.

And of course you realize that your existing Windows software won't run in Linux (without an emulator, which requires a fast computer). And your hardware may or may not be Linux compatible.

I would love to get a mac
                Nothing special about Mac hardware any more, since they switched to standard off-the-shelf PC components a few years ago. I don't like OSX, but I'd love to try building a "hackintosh" some day. Operating systems are a hobby of mine...

Maybe it's simply time for a new computer. For $500 or less you can snap together a basic machine that'll run Windows 7 (or Ubuntu) just fine.

I just did one for Liz so she can do some photo and video editing. The parts cost a bit more than $400, but it's got lots of task-specific extras and a few bells-and-whistles. Last year I did a high-quality-but-not-high-performance machine for some friends for about $800. Little Bob's was $600-ish, including monitor. Just set up a parts list for another friend who might want a new computer for his kids. Using quality parts, basic but functional specs, and some components he already owns (keyboard, monitor, speakers...), the order came to $423 including Windows 7.

I suppose you've considered the possibility that there might be something wrong with your computer? Or that the solution could be a simple upgrade or cleanup?

----------------------

How about a condescending lecture on not buying off-the-shelf computers from discount department stores and electronics chains? Would that be helpful?

Comment

I actually bought this from a local computer dealership/store back in 2007. It's not THAT old. I didn't want Vista so I bought it from them with XP installed instead.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missy B View Post
                    I don't like, too, that something just randomly updates without me knowing it. WTH?
                    Uhhh... Linux and OSX have automatic updates too, which are probably as easy to turn off as Windows Update.

And who knows how manythings are running on my system without me knowing it?
                    Good luck finding out what's running in the background of Linux, or making sense of it.

Comment

Windows updates actually install shit. Mac gives you the choice to look, explains what they are, etc. then download if you so wish.

Mebbe ubuntu isn't for me and I just need to bite the bullet and get a mac. I had two of them through work for the same amount of time as I have had this PC and the macs started up just as fast as the day I first got them.

I cannot say the same for the Windows machine. I don't know why, nor do I care why, but I just want a stable, fast booting machine that I can use without too much effort. That seems to be mac, for me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missy B View Post
                        I actually bought this from a local computer dealership/store back in 2007. It's not THAT old. I didn't want Vista so I bought it from them with XP installed instead.
                        Swing by tomorrow and I'll be happy to take a look at it. Could be something very simple like a virus, too many unnecessary running processes, or something the kids downloaded.

You're right, 2007 wasn't long ago and there's no reason why an average three-year-old computer shouldn't continue to be perfectly functional. My own computer is from 2006, also running XP, and I have no intent of replacing for years to come.

Comment

Pick up a Mac Mini and use your existing peripherals with it. My wife loves hers.
                          Tim
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT
                          vroom

Comment

Yeah, your problems sound more like a virus or a hardware malfunction than a Windows problem.

P.S. Since getting Win7 on my computer at work, I've become a little frustrated with how slowly my 2005 XP machine at home boots. However, since everything else works perfectly, I really won't complain.
                            sigpic

Comment

The mac never had any issues with viruses.

Ok, fine. I need a mac.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X