Remakes that you prefer to the original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remakes that you prefer to the original

I'm thinking music but this could be TV or movies too but ...

We were discussing music remakes at work, which ones we preferred to the original, two I thought of right off were

Hazy Shade Of Winter ... I prefer the Bangles version to that of Simon and Garfunkle

Venus ... I prefer the Bananarama version to that of the Shocking Blue version

I had several more, but as I write this I'm spacing it! lol Ya get a song stuck in your head and you can't think of the other ones! lol

Anyway, what remake do you prefer over the original?
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

sigpic

Dawn of the Dead - the old one sucked, plain and simple. The new one was much more fun.

Holy Diver - I actually like the Killswitch Engage version better than the Dio version.
    I Fought the Law - Dozens of covers on this one, but I still think The Clash did it best.
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.
    sigpic

Comment

Hurt by Johnny Cash vs the version by Nine Inch Nails.
      I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Comment

Originally posted by Repeater View Post
        I Fought the Law - Dozens of covers on this one, but I still think The Clash did it best.
        Phew! I thought I was going to have to call you bad names The Clash is one of my favorite bands. My four year old loves them, too, which was a surprise. I was watching one of their videos on youtube and she walks up and starts dancing and says 'What music is that? I like it!'

She also likes motorcycles, I tell my wife 'That's my girl!'

Comment

My problem with these song threads is that as soon as a song title is mentioned, my head is filled with that song, and I can't think of other songs when there's already one playing in there!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clair View Post
            I'm thinking music but this could be TV or movies too but ...

We were discussing music remakes at work, which ones we preferred to the original, two I thought of right off were

Hazy Shade Of Winter ... I prefer the Bangles version to that of Simon and Garfunkle

Venus ... I prefer the Bananarama version to that of the Shocking Blue version

I had several more, but as I write this I'm spacing it! lol Ya get a song stuck in your head and you can't think of the other ones! lol

Anyway, what remake do you prefer over the original?
            You are a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago - the 1986 "25 or 6 to 4" over their 1970 version.

Jeff Healy did a lot of remakes (I think he did a whole album of them IIRC) and I like them all better than the original.

Disturbed's "Land of Confusion"

Spiderbait's "Black Betty"

Those pop in my head, if I thought about it, I could probably come up with many more.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
            Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Comment

Crimson and Clover by Joan Jett... Puts a whole new spin on it!

Of course, I also like her cover of I Love Rock 'n Roll at least as much, but I don't really remember hearing the original...
              Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
              '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

Almost anything by Bob Dylan

Tom
                In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
                sigpic

Comment

Anything off of: In a Metal Mood: No More Mr Nice Guy ~ Pat Boone
                  1 You've Got Another Thing Comin'
                  2 Smoke on the Water
                  3 It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll)
                  4 Panama
                  5 No More Mr. Nice Guy
                  6 Love Hurts
                  7 Enter Sandman
                  8 Holy Diver
                  9 Paradise City
                  10 The Wind Cries Mary
                  11 Crazy Train
                  12 Stairway to Heaven

I Kid, I am a Kidder

"Mr Tambourine Man" William Shatner is my Fave

BwaHaHaHa

Actually the cover of "Soul Survivor" by Transatlantic on Whirlwind is pretty Hot.

mark
                  Last edited by Wolfie; 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM.
                  '03 Honda Silverwing ABS
                  It's right turn on red AFTER stop!

I see a light at the end of the tunnel, it is the end of the tunnel on fire.

Comment

2010 Clash of the Titans what a big ol steaming pile of @#$%. Ray Harryhausen should toss a lightning bolt from on high at the dumb S.O.B that butchered a classic like that.

Comment

As far as movies, the Cohen Bros "True Grit" is much much better than the John Wayne version. Also, Soderberg's "Solaris" was far more intense than the Tartakovsky version.

For music, there's so many covers I love. Ritchie Haven's Here comes The Sun, Cat Power "(can't Get No)Satisfaction" and Mary Lou Lord's "Speeding Motorcycle".
                      '03 Suzuki SV650
                      '02 Ninja 250--SOLD
                      "Down here, "revolutionary" means peasants storming the palace, not a really small phone that's also a camera." --Dan Walsh

sigpic

Comment

Dancing in the Street, You Really Got Me, and Oh Pretty Woman, by Van Halen
                        Smooth Criminal, by Alien Ant Farm
                        American Woman, by Lenny Kravitz
                        Live and let die, by Guns N' Roses
                        Signs, by Tesla
                        Smoking in the Boys Room, Motley Crue
                        With a little help from my friends, Joe Cocker.

And yes, Tom...everything from Bob Dylan by anyone else.
                        ~Teri
                        Originally posted by Bugguts
                        Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
                        2013 Triumph Tiger 800
                        2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
                        2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

sigpic

Comment

One that's in my head right now is Because We've Ended As Lovers. I usually prefer the Jeff Beck version over the original by Syreeta, although I like them both.
                          Tim
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT
                          vroom

Comment

Talking Heads "Take Me To the River". Don't get me wrong, Al Green does it well, but the version off of the original Stop Making Sense is far and away the best.

Agreed on the Clash. Guns N Roses "Live and Let Die" blows Sir Paul out of the water.
                            "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you." Frank Zappa

Comment

With respect to music, I gotta agree on "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. His rendition of that was just chilling and the video was gut wrenching.

With respect to anything else... I've made my thoughts on remakes in general pretty well known.

True Grit? Haven't seen it. Doubt I will unless it's on TV at some point. I have always been a big fan of the original and, while I wouldn't say it was Wayne's best film (despite winning the Oscar for it) it was still a great effort on the part of all involved. The previews I've seen for the new one look God awful. The scenes that look like they follow close to the original look like the ones that people automatically think of and they come across as rather forced. Visually I'm sure, like most modern remakes, it's stunning. But, that's where it's likely to end for me. It'll probably be better than the last time they tried to remake it, though.

I've seen precious few remakes that are better than the original. Cape Fear might be an exception. If I tried really hard I could probably come up with one or two other examples. Truthfully, it would require far less brain power to just write an original movie than it would to try and come up with a list of any more than a handful of good remakes.
                              2007 Suzuki SV650 Naked - Daily Rider
                              1994 Honda Nighthawk 250 - First Bike
                              1981 Honda CB650 Custom - Project Bike

Comment

Working...
                              X