Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX-RIDER
    replied
    Phone works and I am asking her every couple of hours how she feels. "Fine Pahpaw..."

Yah know Missy ... every time some old fart starts in about "kids today... " I think about your kids and my Jenny-kins and the local high school senior who dove into a canal to extricate a good friend of mine from his upside down Suburban after he had a massive heart attack and then after pulling him to the bank did CPR until the ambulance arrived. That kid is now halfway thru Ranger training. He'll make it.

jennyrotc by mmelugin48, on Flickr

Jenny-kins at JROTC awards night. Three ribbons and two promotions and is the senior ranking member of her class.

Leave a comment:

• Missy B
    replied
    If that phone works, I'll be amazed, but good on her for the effort. Even if gross.

Kacie washed her iPhone and we tried the rice thing to no avail.

If needed, tip on getting a phone: buy one outright, factory unlocked version for her provider. I picked up mine on ebay brand new. Older model but I'm fed up with the cell phone companies now charging monthly payment plans for phones. Why anyone is ok with this vs the "upgrade every 2 years for free/minimal fees" option is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• OBX-RIDER
    replied
    So I'm watching the grandkids while the kids tour Europe. 15 yr. old Jenny tells me she is going to take Joker, her Australian Kelpie, for a hike.

About 30 minutes later Granddaughter bursts in door ... and I catch "need long pants and gloves .. dropped phone on spillway .. and it bounced into the pond .." .. Confused I ask "what?" and Jenny gives me an answer like I am totally clueless "Snapping turtles Pahpaw" as she goes out the door.

Snapping turtles? What? My brain slowly spools up. 'She's going into that nasty pond..?' (an overflow catch pool for a small lake)

I throw on shoes and head to the pond worried my granddaughter, the apple of my eye, is wading in that nasty pond. Nope. She's not wading. Shes swimming in it, diving down for 30-4o seconds at a time to feel along the bottom.

I'm like 'get outta there(!), I'll buy you a new phone, that ones old anyway and you'll never find it...' and Jenny is like "it's the new phone you bought me for my birthday and it's 100% my fault I dropped it and I can find it ... besides I am already as wet as I can get .. I'll find it .. please.."

I am lock and loading for full military type voice voice when Jenny surfaces with phone in hand.

Mouthwash, eardrops, eyedrops, shower .. long soapy hot shower for the kid ... and phone is in bag of rice. I'll quit worrying about her going in that nasty pond in about a week.

Kids today, They're twice as tough as we were.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxieman
    replied
    Snuck in a ride today since the rain was forecast to hold off until 8pm and I'll be out of town all week next week. Of course it's supposed to snow in the DC area this weekend since that's where I'm headed.

Leave a comment:

• OBX-RIDER
    replied
    The heat is about to drive me out of the Sonoran Desert. One more off-road ride planned for thurs. morning ... then time to start meandering Eastward.

Got to stop in Waco Texas at Munn's Racing 'cause a stock KTM 500 just doesn't provide enough off-road power ... .... nah ... actually stopping to add a steering damper and larger gas tank ... and a ECU mod that is mostly about smoothing out the power. 58hp in a 255 lb bike is just about right for an old feller of me advanced years ...

Still pondering dilly-dallying in Texas long enough to see the MotoGP race at COTA ... such ponderous problems ..

Leave a comment:

• Trials
    replied
    oh goodie it's snowing
    ... guess I should bundle up and go riding before all the dirt gets covered up

Leave a comment:

• Trials
    replied
    true that.
    but ... old bikes are nice to ... race ?

Leave a comment:

• taylorcraft07
    replied
    Originally posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    A long ride on my '67 BSA cures me of those kinda thoughts. Bikes are a bazillion times better today ...
    Fuel injection and disk brakes beat the crap out of my first bike. A 1968 Italian Harley 350. It was good to get rid of that one.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• OBX-RIDER
    replied
    A long ride on my '67 BSA cures me of those kinda thoughts. Bikes are a bazillion times better today ...

Leave a comment:

• taylorcraft07
    replied
    Originally posted by Trials View Post
    Add it to the long list of bikes I should have bought new in 1972 and just stored in a crate some place
    I need to be good and not go look at it. I also regret not buying the year newer than me Shovelhead back around 1982.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Trials
    replied
    Originally posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    ... 1972 Triumph, Bonneville, 650cc...
    Add it to the long list of bikes I should have bought new in 1972 and just stored in a crate some place
    Last edited by Trials; 03-29-2018, 07:07 AM. Reason: fixed a spell check boo-boo

Leave a comment:

• taylorcraft07
    replied
    Must resist..... This showed up on the local Faceplant garage sale list. Keep in mind that we are still covered in snow. I want. I blanked out his phone number.

Dave

1972 Triumph, Bonneville, 650cc, 5 speed, 17,000 miles
    $3,900
    Avon, New York

Licensed on the road with a transferable registration in my name. Original factory paint, numbers match, 2nd owner since new, overhauled engine, sludge tube cleaned, cylinders are +.020 and 9 to 1 compression. New valve guides, springs, all gaskets and seals in engine and transmission replaced, parting surfaces have HondaBond applied to seal leaks, internals measured to Triumph maintenance manual. New tires/tubes/chaff strips. New battery, speedometer drive, headlight bulb, fuel selectors, fuel lines. Chain has less than 500 miles since new. Carburetors cleaned and all passages blown out. Electrical system wrung out and all connections cleaned and tightened on ground and power sides. Some minor scratches on left side of tank and top consistent with a machine of this age. Runs correct, idles smooth and steady at 650 rpm. Original owners manual, high rise handle bars and period correct tires included if desired. 10 miles since overhaul. Can deliver within a reasonable distance from Avon, Ny. John L. 585-226-xxxx. Thank you for looking.

Leave a comment:

• liberpolly
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Trials
    replied
    Is still winter up here

but I am unofficially moved into my new house, ice conditions are fantastic
    and I seriously need to stud up a set of tires for next year

Leave a comment:

• OBX-RIDER
    replied
    I kept recalling the phrase "the only easy day was yesterday" only it was more like "the only easy mile was the last mile..." on this 46 mile ride which included Copper Bottom Pass.

copperbottompassupload_2018-3-6_18-54-51ss by mmelugin48, on Flickr

My new hardest offroad ride ever ... with my friend noshoes Neil ...

Yah don't quit doing stuff cause your old ... yah get old cause you quit doin stuff ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X