Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually prefer my Roberta to my Hansen for plying - and you don't necessarily need a table- you can put it on the floor - you just need a long leader to get it started. (and I have a high capacity battery for my hansen )

The Roberta is more of a workhorse and seems to do better for plying for me - it is Irish Tension tho, and that took some getting used to...

Comment

• I only tried Irish tension once (a Babe) and didn't like it. I almost exclusively spin very fine, and it felt grabby and I couldn't make it not feel grabby. If I got a Babe, I'd get the scotch tension conversion, but what I'd really like is an Ashford traditional set up for double drive, only built out of PVC pipe and wheelchair or bicycle parts. Yeah, I know, it doesn't exist.
      My two wheels:
      1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
      2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Comment

• Unbelievable !

Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninja Rebel View Post
          Unbelievable !

Go Ride! Get some pie, and be the next winner in "The Picture Game"
          Originally posted by Lezbert
          * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
          -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
          -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

• Originally posted by woodlandsprite View Post
            I rather enjoy my matchless I have a matchless and a kromski minstrel ...
            looks like a winning combination to me

Comment

• Originally posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
              These are good ideas! AL, you are an excellent pragmatist!
              Last edited by stevekozak; 08-05-2015, 07:25 AM. Reason: AL is not a cannibal.
              2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

Comment

• Originally posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
                You crack me up AL !
                I was bored cos' this morning I was trying to get some info from my insurance, and I waited on the telephone with this terrible music and the dude repeating "All our agents are..", every 30 seconds. I hung up and did it on line.
                All this because a woman at the insurance Cy which my wife called yesterday listened, but did everything wrong on the "PDF" she sent us...Grrr, unqualified personnel...Grrrr....

(must reckon that I was a bit annoyed about this sewing machine back & forth also (w/ respect to the authors) - maybe a thread on the sub. would be an option, even if it seems that Trials is pretty qualified about it )

No hassle though, we are moving out, so tons of things to do, bought a refrigerator today !
                Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

• This is the bar, where any conversation goes. Don't like the one you're seeing? Start a new one.
                  My two wheels:
                  1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninja Rebel View Post

(must reckon that I was a bit annoyed about this sewing machine back & forth also (w/ respect to the authors) ...
                    I knew this is waht you meant. I was just being a wiseguy.

I see nothing wrong with this train of conversation. Once it gets into the details, though, my eyes gloss over and I start skimming the entries for interesting content. If I'm really ambituous I'll start googling the items they're talking about. This does interest me though, because outside of living history museums, I never knew anyone actually spun yarn for a hobby.
                    Originally posted by Lezbert
                    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
                    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
                    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

• now that there is an interesting looking ride
                      but that's not the matchless I was talking about

it's this one:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	sch-0219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1451828

Comment

• What I like about the matchless is that it has buttery smoothness and good enough momentum to use as a single treadle. That and the sidekick, but the matchless fits me better and has better ratios for my purposes.

I don't know where you're located, but have you ever been to The Mannings in PA? It's closing at the end of this year. So depressing.
                        My two wheels:

Comment

• I'm in the desert southwest - I live for wool weather which is sadly only for a very short season. We are fairly lacking in fiber arts stores nearby - there are only a handful, and I haven't found one that I particularly enjoy, so it's proably good that I have laid in a prodigious stash and I also used to dye my own yarn and fiber...also thank goodness for online learning resources I'm an entirely self taught fiber artist.

I used to spin single treadle on my Kromski all the time - I do find that I have to sit on different furniture to spin on either wheel - the Minstrel requires a taller seating position than the Matchless (at least that's how it feels to me)

Comment

• I have two dyeing classes coming up at The Mannings. Fortunately, they're running their terrific classes up until closing. First one is later this month on natural plant dyeing. Second one is in late October, after Rhinebeck (which is a long drive for you but you need to put it on your bucket list. Take the bike. Motorcycles get front row parking. There. I talked about motorcycles.) on painted weaving warps, which is exciting for me because I'm also a painter.

I've only been to one yarn shop in the southwest, Yarn Durango. Great shop, but definitely just for knitters and crocheters.

One of my friends is currently at Vavstuga, a Swedish-focused weaving school in Mass. After Mannings is gone, I think it'll be my closest weaving studio, and it's 7 hours away instead of the 45 minutes it takes to get to Mannings.
                            My two wheels:

Comment

• oh enjoy the dyeing class - I would love to learn more about natural dyeing - I've done some, but wasn't happy with the hand of the yarn when it came out - I think I may have used too much mordant. Also, cochineal stinks while it's cooking (blech) - but it makes such a lovely color...

As for Rhinebeck, I've been a couple times and hope to make it out again this year - but without the bike. I should make sure to go look at the sheepskins - perhaps someone will be selling a motorcycle seat cover - my current bike has a seat that can be less than comfortable - they are going to be marketing an aftermarket upgrade, but not sure if that is going to adversely affect the seat height for me

(hey look! I'm back to talking about my bike! )

Comment

• Nothing matches the stink of an indigo pot.

There's an alpaca vendor that sells things like steering wheel covers made from alpaca skins. I bet those would make a great seat cover.

If you do make it this year, we should meet for a festival food lunch and reverse what is going on here in the bar by talking about bikes at a fiber festival in front of my non-rider friend I'm going with.
                                My two wheels:

Comment

Working...
                                X