Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hah! We're still taking about wheels...
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
      I'm hoping to buy a Canadian production wheel at some point ...
      I'm a Canadian, and I work with wood It can be arranged!

… knew a lady who collected every type of hair and wool like material she could get her hands on.
      She apparently had a museum class collection going, and that was in the 1970's

:I think it is important for the traditional arts to be practiced and taught to as many as possible. I think it would be cool to know how to spin dead animal hair into rope like material

Comment

• A museum class collection? So that's what we're calling our stashes now? I can't wait to tell all my knitter and spinner friends. They're gonna love that.
        My two wheels:
        1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trials View Post
          :I think it is important for the traditional arts to be practiced and taught to as many as possible.
          Hear hear!

In Japan, this is much more recognized...there are master craftsment who are supported (by government I believe) in order that they can continue to practice tradtional arts, such as hand woodworking, steelwork, laquerwork, etc. In contrast, when my wife has travelled in other Asian countries such as Vietnam and Cambodia, she found that the traditional arts are very much maligned--they're seen as "old" and the young people all seem to want "new."

Here in North America, if the traditional arts are to survive it will largely be through either hobbyists or "hippies"--those willing to sacrifice money for lifesttyle. Through my wife's work, and the place we live, I know several people who make their living through practicing traditional arts (blacksmiths, potters, craft jewellers, etc). It is not a good way to get rich...

Comment

• So, I see there is a spinner's forum several BBO members are part of. What other forums are people involved in?

Myself, I'm on (of course) a few other motorcycle forums (although not currently very active on them). I'm also on at least one barbecue forum and one pellet grill forum, a couple of whisky forums, several model-specific car forums, a couple of woodturning forums, and a few firefighting forums (one so specialized we only discuss rural water supplyy issues). Oh, and over the years I've been active in forums on whitewater kayaking, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, telemark skiing, "carving" snowboards, and there are probably a few others.I can't remember right now. It's the power of the Internet

Comment

• This and rav are my only topic specific forums, but I'm also *hangs head in shame* a redditor.
              My two wheels:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kootenanny View Post
                ...Here in North America, if the traditional arts are to survive it will largely be through either hobbyists or "hippies"--those willing to sacrifice money for lifesttyle. Through my wife's work, and the place we live, I know several people who make their living through practicing traditional arts (blacksmiths, potters, craft jewellers, etc). It is not a good way to get rich...
                That's why I'm an IT professional. Not that I'll get rich doing this, either, but I'm faring pretty well compared to if I had tried to make a living off of art.

Hipsters. We love to hate hipsters, but at some point, we must recognize that the hipster driven push for artisinal everything benefits us all. They're the reason beer isn't urine flavored water anymore. They're the reason my city has one of the best coffee roasters I've ever tasted. Most of the younger fiber artists I know have hipster tendencies. If they keep forgotten art forms alive, I'll put up with their hideous retro shit.
                My two wheels:

Comment

• Check it out! a little backpack sized spinning wheel that's some serious portable sewing kit going on there, you guys are hardcore!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kootenanny View Post
                    So, I see there is a spinner's forum several BBO members are part of. What other forums are people involved in?
                    I'm on a few other motorcycle forums, used to be very active on a Backpacking Gear Test forum, and was moderately active on a lightweight backpacking forum and a canyoneering forum - I'm down to lurking status on those...Used to also be on a ferret forum ages ago, but I no longer have ferrets...

Comment

• My problem with portable wheels is that I care less about size and more about materials. There are some really elegant designs, some involving direct drive bobbins (hitchhiker), some involving second drive wheels (queen bee), to get the size down, but they're still making the damned things from wood or wood products. I can't leave that in a hot or cold car all day. My idea of a portable wheel is the Babe wheels made from pvc frames and a composite wheel for a wheelchair. Unfortunately, there's no double drive option, which I prefer. I've considered building one myself based off the schacht matchless flyer so if I ever decide to get a matchless, the whorls and bobbins will be interchangeable and it's just the body that's different.
                      My two wheels:

Comment

• I have an electronic one even more portable
                        There is also another one that can be packed down into a pretty small bag...
                        http://www.spinawaywheels.com/wheels.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
                          I've considered building one myself based off the schacht matchless flyer so if I ever decide to get a matchless, the whorls and bobbins will be interchangeable and it's just the body that's different.
                          I rather enjoy my matchless I have a matchless and a kromski minstrel. I have 3-d printed bobbins for both....and I spin on them both in double drive (also my preferred drive method) I've thought of getting a saxony style wheel at some point, but again with the space limitations....

Comment

• Yeah, the hitchhiker and road bug are very similar to that, and they don't fit me. I'm big in both directions. The flyer hits my calves. The electric ones present some problems, too. If you don't have an outlet, you have to carry a battery, and you also need a table, so it starts to defeat the purpose of being a travel wheel, because you can't just plunk it down anywhere and start working. Also, many of them, like the Hansen ones, are made of wood and still can't be left in the car all day. I have a group that meets on Wednesdays, and the whole point in my quest for the perfect travel wheel is something I can get to our coffee shop and spin on without a table or outlet without having to stop back at home to load it in the car.

Then again just about everything is more travel friendly than a Schacht Reeves 30".

I'm considering selling my Ashford and getting an electric one, because the ashford is for plying now and I think I'd rather have a Hansen with woollee winder for that.
                            My two wheels:

Comment

• Originally posted by woodlandsprite View Post
                              I rather enjoy my matchless I have a matchless and a kromski minstrel. I have 3-d printed bobbins for both....and I spin on them both in double drive (also my preferred drive method) I've thought of getting a saxony style wheel at some point, but again with the space limitations....
                              The Kromski is a friend's dream wheel. She currently has an ashford traveler, but loves the finials on the minstrel.

Saxony wheels work for me because, again, I'm big in both directions and I think something the size of a reeves, especially with a single treadle so I don't have to get both feet in there at once, it's more ergonomic for me.
                              My two wheels:

Comment

• Post deleted by author.
                                Last edited by NORTY; 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM.
                                Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Working...
                                X