Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got some camel silk blend out of the stash to spin while my friend comes over to borrow loom time. When she's done with my loom, the camel silk gets made into a warp for the previously spun muskox down weft. I need a new winter scarf.

The non fiber artists around here are probably like, wtf? Did I stumble onto the wrong board?
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Comment

• ohh - that is going to be one luxurious scarf! What kind of loom do you have? I have a pair of RH ones I need to try to get the small one warped so I can out a double holed heddle to make bands/ribbon with.

so...what does BBO stand for anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trials View Post
        I was hoping for something in a nice Orangutan
        Ha !
        Did you sew/stitch your boxers Trials ?
        Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

• Originally posted by woodlandsprite View Post
          You may have come here for the Beginner Biking but the depth and breadth of some of the conversations is FAR from limited to motorcycling!
          Originally posted by Lezbert
          * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
          -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
          -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

"Bulletin Board" something ?
            Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

• Beginner Bikers dot Org.

In order to distinguish it from the original forum we were all on before things got rearranged many moons ago. The original forum was Beginner Bikes dot Com, or BBC.
              sigpic

Comment

ohh - that is going to be one luxurious scarf! What kind of loom do you have? I have a pair of RH ones I need to try to get the small one warped so I can out a double holed heddle to make bands/ribbon with.

I have a 1950's era Leclerc Mira 4 shaft and a Beka rigid heddle. I might be getting the floor model Leclerc Voyager 8 shaft table loom when my local weaving studio closes at the end of this year - I'm second on the list of people wanting to claim it so one person has to change her mind.

BBO is Beginner Bikers dot Org.
                My two wheels:
                1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overcaffeinated View Post

The non fiber artists around here are probably like, wtf? Did I stumble onto the wrong board?
                  Some of us actually understand quite a lot of the conversation. I don't know the brand names, but as both a mechanical engineer and a woodturner, spinning wheels fascinate me. Plus, my wife works at an art school, which has a fibre arts studio--I know a few spinners and weavers (no real desire to try it myself, though ).

Comment

• One of my aunts was visiting this past weekend. She is a spinner and a teacher (kindergarten through the younger grade levels) and she said she does demos for her classes with her wheel. It's the same concept as bicycle gears, but the novelty of it catches their attention.
                    My two wheels:

Comment

• The few times I've had contractors or other tradesmen at the house to do work and they see the wheels they are amazed - especially if its obvious that they are fully functional pieces of equipment and not just there as antiques or for show.

Whenever I see a wheel that's just been purchased as an antique or show piece I always want to give it a good once over to see if it's been assembled correctly sometimes it cracks me up how pieces get balanced on there...

Comment

• I keep wanting to add a floor loom to the mix, but have not come up with a good place to put it - that and I have a lot of cats - trying to warp the RH with the cats around is already a challenge - and I can't leave the loom accessible once I have a project on it or one or another of the cats will treat it like a hammock...or worse will have a go at it with their claws! (they are usually very good about not scratching things they aren't supposed to, but they had to give it a test one time *sigh*)

Comment

• I'm hoping to buy a Canadian production wheel at some point, and it's amazing to me how many you find listed in "excellent condition" and then come to find that the seller's idea of "excellent condition" means no flyer or bobbins. With those antiques, the wheel and flyer were built to fit each other, so there are huge differences even if you find replacements from the same maker. You'd pretty much need a talented woodworker to ever spin on it. I know they're out there, and I keep looking. I saw a gorgeous one that I nearly fell in love with a few weeks ago. It was less than a two hour drive from me and the asking price was average. Unfortunately, in looking closer at the photograph, I noticed that most of the original spokes on the drive wheel had been replaced and didn't even match very well. I passed on that. I'll find the one eventually.

I don't have space for a floor loom. That's why I now have a weaving room with a dining set crammed into the corner.
                          My two wheels:

Comment

• Btw, some of the table looms fold so they're only slightly larger than a folding rigid heddle. Of you want something with multiple shafts, you could pick one with a treadle stand conversion kit. Or just get one of the schacht wolf looms, which fold and aren't too heavy to pick up, while warped, and shove in a coat closet.
                            My two wheels:

Comment

It used to be a motorcycle forum....
                              sigpic

Event: 2018 Deal@DealsGap
                              When: Oct. 5 - 8
                              Where: Tellico Plains, TN

Comment

• The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Originally posted by Catt42 View Post
                                It used to be a motorcycle forum....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X