Threads that should be articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threads that should be articles

All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass. I will likely start signing up for link exchanges and may bring in extra manpower to help in gathering more traffic. With that said, I was finally able to make use of all our old articles in the database. I feel dumb because I hadn't dug into it deep enough before to figure it out, but by god I finally got it. And it wasnt that hard.

Anyhow, I'm opening this thread up for you all to drop in your suggestions on what we should promote to an article. That will put things front and center on the home page, and in the article categories for users across the world to browse. If you see someone having written an awesome review or something super interesting or informative, then drop a link in this thread. You dont need to explain it or anything, just the link. The moderators here will check it out and promote it if we agree. Thanks for keeping watch out there.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Originally posted by Derick View Post
    ... categories for users across the world to browse....
    I think you touched on a potential problem right there the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?

Comment

Originally posted by Trials View Post
      I think you touched on a potential problem right there the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?
      There answer is; plenty. We have a lot of blocked subnets, but most are eastern bloc countries, russia, ukraine, a LOT of china...those are what I can think of off the top of my head. Also, we have a lot of automatic blocks as well happening 20-30 times a day based on robot nature. So, yes, there are some valid folks being excluded. But I would estimate that as like 2-4% at most.
      Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Comment

All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass.
        What is your objective for the site?

Comment

Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth. Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else. Maybe they monetize it, who knows...
          Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Comment

Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth.
            You have accomplished that. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me.

Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else.
            It seems most fund their sites with adds. I would hate to see that since it is so annoying, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

It seems you do not like asking for donations, but you might have to have a fund drive. Say set a donation goal of enough to fund the site for six months. Close all the threads except one fund raising thread until you raise the target funds. Kind of like they do on NPR.

Or maybe a subscription that is required for full access. Maybe limit access to certain areas to members only. But that may be contrary to your objective. The site has a very inclusive and giving feel to it.

Or give people donor level indicators on their signatures. It works for universities.

Maybe they monetize it, who knows...
            To monetize, you have to have a revenue stream.

Comment

Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations?

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone.

What do you need to keep the site going?

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?

Comment

If you were looking for commercial sponsors, want to keep it on topic and did't want the advertising to get out of hand :/ I would start with the recognized Motorcycle rider training organizations. There are about 100 of them in Ontario alone and they are almost all associated with Community Colleges, which are run for profit organizations and do have advertising budgets. You would be certain to see an increase in new rider readership.

Comment

Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.
                  Sent from your mom's phone
                  "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                  Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                  "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                  "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                  Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                  sigpic
                  3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
                    Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.
                    What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.

In fact, they are all online and on the front page again. We're sanding the edges a bit but they are visible again.
                    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Comment

What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.
                      After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".
                      Sent from your mom's phone
                      "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                      Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                      "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                      "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                      Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                      sigpic
                      3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Replying in line with your post:

Originally posted by Sorg67 View Post
                        Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations? No.

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone. They have billions of users. We dont.

What do you need to keep the site going? With no upgrades in software or purchases of any sort, the site takes about $500 per year to operate.

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site. That would be cool.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful. I've been considering this. The nice thing about vbulletin is that I can include/exclude groups from ad displays. So I have a money contributors group that I used to put people into. I dont really anymore, because I doesnt really give you any more.....but maybe I should, with a minimum donation of like $50 change users to it and prevent ad displays to them. It's definitely possible, but I'm trying to decide what to do with the vbulletin software. Version 4 is getting quite old, 5 sucks, and there aren't enough contributions to budget a new purchase.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. I know, we are down to an average 30 posts a day, from years before of about 2-300/day

Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Google analytics takes care of all of that and has methods to determine ACTUAL traffic versus bots, spiders, etc.

Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?Unsure, I've never looked into it.
                        Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
                          After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".
                          I dont think the door closed or anything was intentional. Life happens, and it's possible I got apathetic about it all. I think the owner of bb.com had a breakdown of some sorts...and I had something similar a few years ago. However, the articles were never unwanted, they were just unable to be published (because I'm an idiot and hadn't figured the system out yet).
                          '
                          Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Comment

With only 30 posts a day, I would think advertiser interest would be limited. But perhaps that are a lot more readers than posters. I have posted similar questions here, on the Versys forum, HDForum and Thumper forum. I generally get more replies from the other sites, but I get better replies here.

At the moment, you have captured a group of posters with above average knowledge and above average interest in helping others. That is a value it seems that you could capitalize on in some way. Not sure how. I have mentioned the site to many people. If all of us remember to mention the site to dealers, MSF coaches, Mechanics, other riders, maybe we could get the activity up a bit. Then maybe limited ads with an ability to avoid the ads with a subscription.

Ultimately Derick is going to run out of gas and the site will die which would be a real shame. It is the best resource I have found for motorcycle information.

I would be nice for the site to cover costs and pay Derick for his time.

Comment

One thing we found eons ago was that putting adsense on a few of our sites increased the "hit rate", in part because the site got indexed better by Google. But that wasn't enough to overcome those forums being dull and dying compared to Facebook, and the revenue was insignificant.
                              Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
                              '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

Working...
                              X