Is BBO what it should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is BBO what it should be?

I've been absent lately, for good reason. Working crazy hours, and a new family to deal with are just two of the facets I'm dealing with. With that said...is this place what it should be? I've had to leave things to the mods and other admins, but do we need change here? Do I need to step down and let someone with a bit more time and focus handle the place?

Not really seeing too much going on, but I really want to make sure it's a good experience for everyone, and I'm not getting a good vibe as of late.

Comments?
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Hey Derick,
    We've missed you around here. Here's my take on things. Any site that has been around as long as BBO and has brought so many people together has to be doing something right. I think the site is going strong. Sure there could be more bike discussions going on and what not but that's okay. Part of the reason certain discussiongs take place is because people feel comfortable around each other here. Do you need to step down, I don't think so. I think you've done a great job and appreciate everything you've done. So thanks for everything.
    '07 FJR 1300
    '05 VTX 1300
    '02 ACE 750 - Sold
    Home of the Bug Bash
    15 Years!
    August 3 - August 5 2018

Comment

Gotta get to work... the short answer is .. YES!
      When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
      sigpic
      08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
      Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
      my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
      MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

Derick,
        It works for me and I usually hate forum style sites. Don't change anything.
        Dave

Comment

Interesting timing. I think as the boasrd has grown, tolerance has shrunk. I used to be one of the guilty ones and maybe still am. Life altering experience made me realize sometimes, life does happen, no one is in controll 100% of the time much as we think we should be/are. Newbie, ok, stupid if deservered, but stupid cause new and made some wrong/bad choices, not so much. Advice should be given freely, what folks do after that is up to them. Ridiculing mishaps following said given advice, not so much. My opinion, it has tilted more to gospel as it were, not advice.

I only read less than 5% of threads so maybe my sampling is to small, or I read all the wrong ones, but thats my view.

Dan
          God is Great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Comment

I think the mission of this board is still being served. There are newbies still joining up regularly, and long time members still frequent the forums. In that respect, BBO is healthy. Like any "family" we're a bit dysfunctional, we have our arguments and disagreements, sometimes we step on each other's toes. But we also have a great time on cyberspace and in real life. The casual freewheeling discussions here (bike related or not) are due to the members feeling comfortable, like the atmosphere in a bar. Mods rarely have to step in and remind everyone to play nice.

Don't change a thing, let it evolve. Those of us who remember the original BB.org and BAB know how forums die if the discussions are over moderated or if the members don't care enough to stick around.
            sigpic
            08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
            Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
            MITGC #22

Comment

You can't be all things to all people. I agree with what Asp posted.

Even when we have a disagreement such as what is currently being discussed (newbs and our reaction/disrespect of them), it is largely being done rationally. No flame wars. Nothing out of line. If we can't respectfully disagree with each other, what's the point of discussing anything?

Over moderation will kill it. I don't have to agree with everything written here. I don't even have to agree with most of it. But it's a social outlet for me with a group of friends I haven't met yet and some I have. If it becomes something that is no longer enjoyable for me, I will spend my time elsewhere, and someone else will take my place. Such is life.
              ~Teri
              Originally posted by Bugguts
              Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
              2013 Triumph Tiger 800
              2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
              2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asp125 View Post
                Don't change a thing
                I disagree. We should install an ice cream machine.
                -RMRR
                "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnRoadRash View Post
                  I disagree. We should install an ice cream machine.
                  You didn't see the one in the BBO bar? It's next to the donuts.
                  sigpic
                  MITGC #22

Comment

This year's Potato Ranch Rally was the largest and best ever. I'd say BBO is definitely doing something right.
                    sigpic

Comment

Things are Fine Derrick, you're doing great.

If we lean more toward the gospel then we the people can change. Nothing you or the site needs to do.

I don't see a need for change right now, with you or the site. Keep doing what you're doing.
                      Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
                      2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

sigpic

Comment

I think this place has a great mix of folks who are kindly and super friendly (like Tom and Teri and many others) and others that are a little more blunt ( like Dewayne and maybe me when I'm having a really bad day once in a great while but not often... ) and this diversity makes a good mix and actually makes this a better place. I'm a member of forums where there are no holds barred and people really sometimes kick the sh!t out of each other...and others that are so namby pamby that the most good natured ribbing is banned by the mod who thinks he's frikkin' do gooder internet cop when really he's just a pain in the anterior, one too spicy, the other too bland.

I think if there is a flaw is we have so much fun good natured ribbing and cheering friends we know well the newcomer may feel like a wall flower standing off in the corner. Maybe we all need to be reminded to be a little extra welcoming to the newcomer and that the new rider is bound to arrive here with concepts that are incorrect and that example is a far better persuader than derision.
                        The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Comment

Originally posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
                          I think this place has a great mix of folks ...
                          I think if there is a flaw is we have so much fun good natured ribbing and cheering friends we know well the newcomer may feel like a wall flower standing off in the corner. Maybe we all need to be reminded to be a little extra welcoming to the newcomer and that the new rider is bound to arrive here with concepts that are incorrect and that example is a far better persuader than derision.

Now that BaB is dead, BBO is IT as an oasis for beginner/returning riders. Since many of us are now more than just internet contacts, and have actually met in the flesh and ridden together, it may have gotten a tad cliquish at times, but whenever questioning newbies posts up, we are still here for them, and if they stick around, they may end up on one of our rides and becoming a "veteran" like many "old timers" here who can no longer be considered "beginners", but are honestly dedicated to guiding new adherents to motorcycling to a safe, fun way of starting out in this avocation of ours. BBO is the survivor of beginner biking forums. It provides not only a service to new and aspiring riders, but also as a community of friends. Ya done good, Derick. Long live BBO.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think I'm coming up on three years soon. By far the longest I've ever participated in a forum!
                            2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
                            2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
                            BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
                            Originally posted by mz33
                            In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Comment

I think you've provided a pretty unique place here Derick. I also think both OBX and ASP have pretty much nailed it. Typically, if there is any bickering it's mostly good humored. There are even some of us who may "argue" on here fairly often, but when we're face to face we just hang out, laugh, and drink a few cold ones. The mods also usually do a good job of letting discussion continue while weeding out pointless flaming. Does it get out hand on occasion, sure. But that's what happen when you put a bunch of passionate people together.
                              SHONUFF

What I ride
                              '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
                              '01 Yamaha YZF600R
                              '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
                              '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
                              '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
                              '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
                              '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Comment

Working...
                              X