Texas routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas routes

Well, I didn't know where to post this, but I found this old riding story I had saved from last month. The main curvy roads involved are:

the La Bahia Scenic Highway 390 - it runs from Burton to northeast of Brenham, TX

FM 3090 - it runs from north of Navasota close to Carlos

Here's the original post from BeginnerBikes.com:

----------------------------------------

Well, what a great weekend! First it started on Saturday when two of the Austin riders decided to head out to meet the Houston riders in Hempstead for lunch.

After meeting up in Elgin Anthony and I hit the road at about 10 minutes until 10. We took the busy and boring 290 for quite a while. It was nice farmland to take a look at, when you get the chance in between all traffic. So when we hit Burton we decided to try this road I had heard about, La Bahia Scenic Road 390, part of the Texas Independence Trail. I'm telling you, if you're ever in that area, hit this road, it is great. It runs from just outside of Brenham to above it. I'm serious, take this road. I'll have pics later.

So we hit that road, with some very nice sweepers and some gorgeous rural scenery, and just soaked it in. Though the speed limit was 65 mph I did 50 through most of it just because I wanted to take a good look around at all the scenery. There isn't much traffic on this road, very nice. We saw a few riders come the other way so I guess it is no secret in the area.

After 390 we hit 105 and took the quick way back to 290 because I figured we were going to be late for lunch. Well, we did get to Hempstead, and after missing the turn we were looking for we stopped, asked for some directions (yes, some men actually do this) and got back on track. Well, we arrived at the restaurant and the parking lot was absolutely barren. Anthony and I parked, took off our gear, and we were there not 5 minutes when the first group of the Houston riders shows up. Talk about timing! So we all said our hellos and talked for a bit when a truck pulled up and a man with his son came to see if the restaurant was open, but nope, it was still closed. Ashley, being our official PR rep, asked them if they could take our picture. As luck would have it the man she asked said he used to be a photographer and started telling us to rearrange our bikes for the best photo opportunity. We got the bikes situated and he took the first pic:

Roll call! Going from left to right, that's Kim on her very nice ST1100, Rhonda on her Honda (it rhymes!), Lindsey, me on my Ninja, Anthony on his FZ6, Kobati on his new ZZR-600, and Ashley on her Vulcan 500, lookin' cool with her hand on her windshield. Then our photographer moved and took this one:

So, after rearranging our bikes just for some photographs with a number of cameras we decided we were gonna hit a mexican restaurant just down the road. After Rhonda got ahold of Liz and Lisa, the two Galveston riders who were held up with a maintenance problem, they agreed to meet us there and we were on our way.

So, 500 feet later we were at the restaurant and I took a pic of all the bikes all lined up. Notice the smiley on Kim's helmet.

Liz and Lisa showed up later and after a long lunch full of good food, hilarious stories, and great company, Ashley asked someone else to take our picture and we lined up for another. Since a couple more riders joined the cast it was time for another roll call. Top row, left to right, there's me, Liz (IslandRider), Ashley (Hot2Trot), Anthony, Lisa, Ken (Kobati), and Rhonda (Old Cliche). Bottom row, left to right we've got Kim and Lindsay. I gotta tell ya it was great being surrounded by so many ladies. It was a nice change from the norm, 3 guys and 6 ladies at the meet. Very cool.

After lunch we hung out in the parking lot for a bit. Another pic of the bikes, that Rhonda's Honda up front.

So just before it was time for the Austin riders to head out we took one last pic. Unfortunately no one was around to take the picture so Lindsay did the honors. Apparently I was doing my John Glenn impersonation with hanging way out in space.

So, after a lunch that went by way too quickly Anthony and I said our goodbyes and saddled up. We ended up now knowing which road we were on so we went out the same way we came in, which ended up just going back around the restaurant. Feeling silly about it I hit the horn and we waved at the Houston riders again as they were still gathered outside the restaurant.

With that, we were on our way back home. Anthony and I decided to hit 390 again, but we took a different way in. After a bit of unattentiveness from me (I totally missed a stop sign in a small town and rolled right through it ) we were deep in some nice sweepers again. This time we took 390 at full speed and had a great time. What a great road. We finally got back to 290 and hot footed it back home. I know I got home just before the sun went down and boy was I freezing in my summer mesh jacket the last few miles back home. I was hoping Anthony was gonna make it home before the sun went down.

Well, it was a great day and it was wonderful seeing the Houston riders again. We've gotta do that again, guys and ladies. Next time, we can meet and then hit some nice roads in the area before we stop for lunch. I've got some great roads I explored that you guys have got to ride.

continued...
    -Isaac

What bike should you ride? The choice is personal. The reason is universal.

Speaking of exploring, I woke up late Sunday after a very late Saturday night. I was supposed to go to work, but looking outside the window I said to myself there was no way I was gonna waste that gorgeous day. Who knew when I'd have that nice of a day again until March or so? Besides, after checking the calendar I realized that day was the 1 year birthday of my bike. On that December 13th last year I had picked up my brand new Ninja 500R and had been loving her ever since. So work be-damned, she and I were gonna celebrate, and what better way to do that than to hit some curvy roads?

So after eating some "breakfast" I hit the road at about 1 in the afternoon. I was so smitten with the 390 road I rode yesterday that I mapped a route out there again, as well as a great looking road that ran above Navasota, FM 3090. This time, though, I told myself I was gonna avoid 290 as much as possible. I hate all that traffic. So first I hit FM 696 outside of Elgin, ran that road all the way to Hwy 21. Headed south for just a smidgen and then hit FM 141 and then turned onto 1697. I hit that for a while and it ended at the aforementioned Scenic La Bahia Hwy 390. I hit that one again, loved it all over again, and then hit FM 1155 that snaked to FM 912, that went by the Washington on the Brazos State Park, then I kept going until I hit Navasota. In Navasota I hit 3090, one very, very nice road. The sweepers on that stretch are just gorgeous, and apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so because I saw just as man bikes on that road as I did cars, a very agreeable ratio to a motorcyclist. Man, what a great road, you Houston riders have got to check that one out.

Well, after hitting the end of 3090 I opted to double back on it, so I did, and by the time I got back to Navasota it was 5 pm. There was no way I was gonna make it back by sundown, which I had wanted to do to avoid the cold when the sun goes bye-bye. At that point I was glad I chose to bring the winter jacket instead of the mesh one I brought the day previous. So I decided the direct route is best in fast fading sunlight, so I took 105 all the way back to Brenham.

There I stopped for fuel, drinks, and a chance to change to some colder gear. As I was fueling up there was an entire group of riders that pulled up and parked. I went and talked to them for a bit, and apparently they hang out there every Sunday night. Hey, its a small town, whatcha gonna do? They were a bit surprised that I came all the way from Elgin/Bastrop just to ride 3090 and 390, but they said I chose some good roads. I snapped a couple of pics and then donned the colder gear as the sun was completely gone by now. I switched out the dark smoke visor for the clear one, put on my new winter gloves and balaclava, and hit the road. After heading through Burton again I was already tired of that 290 traffic, especially at night, so I diverted off onto the farm roads again.

I traced a very similar route back home to the one I initially took, and found that I wasn't nearly as nervous about going through those quiet farm roads at night as I thought I would be. But I'll tell ya, it is crazy how you notice the temperature differences when going through the shallow hills. An eleveation drop of only 50-100 feet brings on some cold, cold air at the bottom. But when you get to the top of the hill it warms up again. Very strange. So after a couple hours of some interesting sweepers with only my lone headlight to cut the darkness I got to the restaurant where I was meeting some friends. I made it back just in time. So, after over 300 miles that Sunday and what I'd guess is close to 600 for the entire weekend I put my baby to bed. My baby had been treating me right and it had been a great year. What a way to celebrate. Here's to many more!

Okay, well you've been patient enough throughout my ramblings, so as a reward here are the pics!

Here's the intersection of FM 1697 and FM 2780. Some very, very nice roads, especially 2780. Gorgeous scenery and outstanding sweepers. What great roads. That is the green grass on either side of 1697. Who knew there would be such lush grass in the middle of December, only in Texas, I tell ya!

Here's 2780 turning off into the distance.

Here is a pic of some of the sweepers on 390.

A closer view of the previous pic. Sorry for the repeats, but this place is just gorgeous. There's my bike to the left.

Here's a series of pics of the railroad overpass on 390 at Gay Hill. I tell ya, the people in these parts are so nice. They still wave as they pass you just going down the road, but when I was walking around taking pictures I only saw two cars, one of which stopped to ask if I was okay, and one guy came out his house to see if everything was alright. Both just smiled when I said I was just taking pictures and we all just went on our way. I love Texas.

Here's a great pic of 390 snaking off into the distance. Man, I love the scenery around there.

After heading down FM 912 I came across the Washington on the Brazos State Park. At this site on March 1, 1836, while Santa Anna had the Alamo surrounded, the delegates from each municipality in Texas declared independence from Mexico and wrote a new constitution which established the Republic of Texas. I was pleasantly surprised to find this park, the cradle of the Republic of Texas, as I was unaware of its location before. I rolled in and snapped a couple of pics, but I didn't have the time to stop and tour the place as I was running short on time already. I promised to myself I'd return there soon. Here's the gate entrance.

Here is another of a statue outside the visitor center.

With that I had to leave, time was short and I had a date with some curves. So I made it to FM 3090 and absolutely loved it! There are some great sweepers out there with some nice pavement. I would have stopped and snapped some pics but the sun was going down, and it was so low on my return trip it was in my eyes, demanding that I slow down in those lovely sweepers just so I could see where I was going. Still, it was a great road, one that I'd love to ride again.

After getting back to Brenham I met some local riders and stayed long enough to snap some pics. Here they are, the Brenham riders with their nice bikes.

So, I made my way back just fine and loved every minute of both of my trips to the area. Houston riders, I'm telling you guys, you have some great roads out there, go ride them! Next time you guys want to get together for a Hempstead or Brenham lunch I'll lead you guys through some nice roads in the area.

Man, what a great weekend!!
    -Isaac

Comment

Beautiful country. If I can get down there this year will you folks show me around?

Bob

Comment

Great job El G!! I need to get some of our routes up too! Beautiful pictures!!
        sigpic

2009 BMW F650GS TwinFirefly Sold
        2005 Honda VTX 1300R - Sold
        2002 Honda ACE - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by longislandbob
          Beautiful country. If I can get down there this year will you folks show me around?

Bob
          Absolutely, Bob! Come on down! Keep in mind, those pics are from the middle of December. I just gets prettier in the spring when the wildflowers bloom (oh those bluebonnets are gorgeous) and earlier in the fall when all the leaves are changing color. Be careful with summer, though, it gets HOT down here.
          -Isaac

Comment

I had a good time with you all.
            Thanks for saving that and reposting. Nice to see us all again - I was in MC/BB withdrawls.
            Great memories riding & gathering with everyone!
            Ash
            Happier than a bird with a french fry.
            MITGC #19
            9,000+ posts of utter nonsense and jibberish.

Comment

Isaac,

Thanks for that recap. Next time we get together in Hempstead, I want to take that route with ya! So...Ken came up with a good idea about having a regular date to ride -- like every other week meet up in Hempstead or something. That way, we don't spend endless threads organizing stuff.

Bob,

If you come down during crawfish season, boy have we got a treat for you! Seriously...we'll give ya some Southern and Texas hospitality.

Rhonda
              '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
              '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
              '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Comment

Originally posted by hot2trot
                I had a good time with you all.
                Thanks for saving that and reposting. Nice to see us all again - I was in MC/BB withdrawls.
                Great memories riding & gathering with everyone!
                Ash
                Hmm, now I almost feel bad for riding on Saturday. It was such a great day -- total opposite of the LAST time we rode to Kemah! Unfortunately, Ken and I got caught up in the traffic and reroute of the train derailment on 146 in Seabrook. We wound up having to take Red Bluff all the way through Pasa-get down-dena. My little stock pipes sound really loud in the Washburn Tunnel!

You'll make it next time!

Rhonda
                '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
                '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
                '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Comment

Working...
                X