Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family That Rides Together.....

.....has fun!!

My brother came from Grand Forks, ND for a visit. I picked up a CBR500R so he, my son and I could get a ride or two in while he is visiting. Unfortunately, the fave ride is closed off due to most of the state being on fire but we took the shorter jaunts to Sonoita and Patagonia, AZ on Thursday and again on Sunday morning.

It is hotter than heck here, so we left Thursday at 0630 and headed for Sonoita to grab a snack, check in with each other, etc.

Son was leading on his Ninja 250. Not sure how accurate his speedometer is, he was keeping a pace very close to the speed limit, which was fine by mom. This was only our second ride together and I still have that "yay, my son is riding, too!" and the "zOMG, my 15 year old is riding and he could get hurt!" conundrum going on in my head. Most of the time, it is the excited mom voice, thankfully.

We headed toward - and did a quick ride through of the state lake park. Sister in law and daughter were following in the truck, so they took this photo for us...

My son's comment on this photo: The Ninjette leaving Mom and my uncle in the dust.

We stopped in Sonoita again on the way back home. Somehow, my son convinced his uncle that he missed/needed to bond with his Ninja again (uncle gave the Ninjette to him). Didn't take long for him to get his first ride on the CBR500..all under the guise that his butt was hurting from the Ninjette seat.

We had a really nice ride. There's something to be said for family rides. I wish we could do it more often.

We went again yesterday to Sonoita and back only because we had omelettes waiting for us thanks to my sister in law. We added my daughter to the mix this time - she was my co-rider.

We had some fun conversation with one of my son's BRC classmates in Sonoita and an FJR rider that approached us. That was fun. Then we stopped at Empire Ranch on our way back home. It had been closed for awhile due to fires so we wanted to see how it was doing. THe homestead on Empire Ranch has been used for many Western movies and Bonanza episodes back in the day. We have spent many a weekends exploring and camping there so it is a special place for us. Our son is also doing his Eagle Project there in September, so it means a lot to all of us.

So we were really happy to see an antelope as we rode through yesterday. He was a short spike, so probably chased from the herd for moving in on the older antelope's ladies.

Group photo, sans daughter since she is taking it, at Empire Ranch...

Not the best photo of it, but you can see the fire damage on one side of the road. Thankfully, there is already new growth happening to support the antelope herds. (ETA: you can actually see the fire damage better on the antelope photo. To the left is fire damaged and to the right isn't.)

We had an even better ride yesterday. Just felt smoother and a better "rhythm" for us than the first ride, which wasn't a bad ride, neither. But there's that zen you reach when we all flow nicely and smoothly through the curves. Special times riding with son and brother.
    Last edited by Missy B; 07-10-2017, 08:59 PM.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

How great this is! These are the kind of memories that are never forgotten. I've got the warm fuzzies reading this thread.
    Originally posted by bikebitsmall
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Originally posted by CaptCrash
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Thanks, Buggs! It was a lot of fun being able to ride with them. My brother is talking about coming out more now that he has found an affordable flight through Allegiant. He is less than tolerant of the heat, though, living in Grand Forks, so hopefully next time he comes when it's nicer weather. haha

We spent another night at the local indoor kart racing place. It was my brother's idea; we had never been. A bit pricey but it sure was a blast. You have to wear helmets, the carts are electric and there's no speed limit (except for what they can manually control your limit to be until they see you aren't going to be a jerk).

The boys did 3 races together and my brother ended up in the top 3 for the week on both tracks.
      PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
      sigpic

Comment

Missy, I really wish you would stop bragging ... I am so jealous. Since my brother stopped riding I dont have any regular riding partners. Glad you are able to enjoy the nice family bonding times...

Jim.....

Comment

Brother is long back to ND now so that's a bummer. Don't be too jelly.
          sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Creating family memories.
            Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Working...
            X