First Ride with My Son!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ride with My Son!

Our 15 1/2 year old took the BRC last weekend, so, of course, yesterday meant his first ride!

I was full of excitement leading up to this and then Saturday and yesterday morning, that turned into a little bit of "zOMG, what if things go bad?" This is quite the conundrum to experience!
    RiderCoach/motorcyclist part of me meets Mom part of me.

But, not to leave you in suspense, it went great. We did about 60 miles total and had a very nice lunch together. His RiderCoaches reinforced the important stuff, and I taught him the biggest thing: Ride to Eat!

TCLOCS his Ninjette (thanks to his uncle who upgraded)

Whoo hoo!! Out and about together.

We had lovely views on our lunch spot:

Nothing screams Arizona like this photo.

The Sawmill Fire was very near us. Thankfully we were never in danger but son left school one day to help one of his friends pre-evac. We took some photos of the damage. The road was closed up until Friday.

Can see the burn and no burn lines...

This came out really blurry but it is a zoom in to show where the guardrail actually melted from the fire jumping the road.

He pulled over at one point, and said he needed to pick up some washers for his Bronco project, so...off we went for that errand, too.

An incredible few hours on a Sunday. He really did great. Gave him a couple of pointers, of which he received very well and executed on the way home.

This could be fun.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

Very cool!

Comment

Well, between his Bronco and this, he'll keep busy farkling!
      When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
      sigpic
      08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
      Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
      my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
      MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

Originally posted by asp125 View Post
        Well, between his Bronco and this, he'll keep busy farkling!
        He REALLY wants the digi camo KLR, but the Ninjette certainly works for now - and only for the price of shipping it here from ND.

There were a few spots (for pictures) that he realized the street bike wasn't meant to be handled but...we are still thankful for it. I have had a lot of fun with it when I have ridden it. Brings me back to the good ole days of not being able to see anything in the mirrors but my elbows.
        PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
        sigpic

Comment

Awesome, simply awesome! Passing of the torch. Congrats goes to the lad. (Well, ok, you too, Missy!)

EDIT~ Is there a track day in his future?

Not yet, of course, but when you feel he's ready.

Teri's next track day is in late May. (HINT, HINT!)

Imagine, 3 Ninjettes on the AMA course! (And 1 KTM RC390!)

and made a 750/1000 for the Nort...
          Last edited by NORTY; 05-01-2017, 10:16 PM. Reason: jus did it
          Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Yes, we do want to do track days. Will hafta wait though. Can't do the end of this month. We're in the process of building a 1200 sq ft of motorcycle spa...er....workshop/garage......and have a cruise next month. Too much going on, but all good stuff. Will look to when the weather cools down a bit and by then, hopefully I'll have my lil R3 or something. While I am lusting after the RC 390, I am having issues finding a used one..and the local, new dealer told me a new one is going to run $7k plus OTD.
            sigpic

Comment

Most excellent. I am more to the point of looking forward to rides with grandchildren. Already have had first off-road rides ... next is on road. Then trackdays ...
              The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Comment

Very cool.......
                '07 FJR 1300
                '05 VTX 1300
                '02 ACE 750 - Sold
                Home of the Bug Bash
                15 Years!
                August 3 - August 5 2018

Comment

Trackday up here this Sunday.
                  We are going to be running the track reverse direction for the first time ever. Should be interesting. It will be our last trackday until September.

Comment

Originally posted by AZridered View Post
                    Trackday up here this Sunday.
                    We are going to be running the track reverse direction for the first time ever. Should be interesting. It will be our last trackday until September.
                    I saw that in an email from them. We are at the lake Sun-Tues, though. Sept or October seems like a good time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missy B View Post
                      Yes, we do want to do track days. Will hafta wait though. Can't do the end of this month. We're in the process of building a 1200 sq ft of motorcycle spa...er....workshop/garage......and have a cruise next month. Too much going on, but all good stuff. Will look to when the weather cools down a bit and by then, hopefully I'll have my lil R3 or something. While I am lusting after the RC 390, I am having issues finding a used one..and the local, new dealer told me a new one is going to run $7k plus OTD.
                      We found 6 of them here, all 2015 models. Send me the $$$, I will purchase it and, for you, because you're my pal, will ride it TO you.

With friends like us...
                      ~Teri
                      Originally posted by Bugguts
                      Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
                      2013 Triumph Tiger 800
                      2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
                      2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
                        We found 6 of them here, all 2015 models. Send me the $$$, I will purchase it and, for you, because you're my pal, will ride it TO you.

With friends like us...
                        *ears perk up* .. hey what?
                        When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
                        sigpic
                        08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
                        Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
                        my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
                        MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

Congratulations Cam!

What a great time of life!
                          Originally posted by bikebitsmall
                          64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
                          Originally posted by CaptCrash
                          A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugguts View Post
                            Congratulations Cam!

What a great time of life!
                            For him or me?

He had an orthodontist appt yesterday and is all excited because he can ride to his next one by himself. School's out.

Unfortunately, while he pitched his principal for a parking permit at school for this last month of school, she told him she already has made exceptions for sophomores and can't do it for him as a freshman. He did good but....ah well. Darn policy says juniors and seniors only.
                            sigpic

Comment

No need for an exception, just change the policy.

Comment

Working...
                              X