Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Sales are Up?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...bike-sales-up/

Thank you for posting this. Used it as a catalyst for "can we get back to training, please?" discussion. Sent you an email.

I would have had a KLX 230 in the garage if the timing weren't so "bad" of just having bought the 5.0. Hubby drew the line at the KLX.

So some mornings, I'm pedaling in the dirt instead.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

Comment

All kinds of new riders here and training is all we do most days, we train each other. It's awesome

I catch for the experts and tell them what they are doing wrong, and they catch for me and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
      Come to think of it ... you gotta be ready to take lots of criticism or do not apply

Comment

Well, yeah...$1200+ and an additional $600/week in unemployment (which, out here yields an average of $900/week or 3600/month, far more than most make when working) boosted sales everywhere. Watch for all those new bikes to end up on Craigslist as unemployment and shut downs continue and those $600 weekly bonuses fall off.
        Sent from your mom's phone
        "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
        Ride Safe, Chop Safer
        "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
        "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
        Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
        sigpic
        3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Those bonuses don't help credit rating. The store where I work has seen increased sales, and not to credit challenged customers.

Comment

Originally posted by AZridered View Post
            Those bonuses don't help credit rating. The store where I work has seen increased sales, and not to credit challenged customers.
            Do you guys sell competition dirt bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by AZridered View Post
              True, they don't.

But you had best believe they certainly did help folks with fair to decent credit (which hadn't been affected yet as UE began ramping up). One can maintain good credit and live beyond their means, it's been happening since the 1990s when money became so cheap to borrow and continues on today after numerous economy-wrecking influences since then. The refi-train is rarely derailed.
              Sent from your mom's phone
              "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
              Ride Safe, Chop Safer
              "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
              "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
              Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
              sigpic
              3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

People that live totally within their means and pay for everything outright can have terrible credit ratings simply because they never borrowed money in their entire life. They don't miss it much either because you can't miss something you never had

Comment

Originally posted by Trials View Post
                  People that live totally within their means and pay for everything outright can have terrible credit ratings simply because they never borrowed money in their entire life. They don't miss it much either because you can't miss something you never had
                  This is true. Maybe not terrible ratings. Most people have some history of paying bills on time. But lower credit ratings than people who use credit.

Credit ratings are different than credit worthiness. Many people who do not use credit are very credit worthy, but have lower credit ratings than others who are less creditworthy. This is because credit ratings have more to do with expected profitability to the lender. People who do not use credit much tend to pay off loans early and are less profitable to lenders. Lenders incur costs to initiate loans and are only profitable if they are able to collect interest over time. People who pay off loans early are not as profitable. And people who do not use credit have less data to use to predict how they will handle their loans.

Lenders want people who make their payments on time and pay loans off over the expected life of the loan. Borrowers who use credit a lot, have more history and are more profitable to lenders.

Comment

lol I will always remember the day my mom had a credit card and my dad got turned down. They should have never done that, he didn't even want one after that. Mom didn't even have a real income job, Dad was the bread winner.

Comment

CC companies go to college campuses, and "enroll" students to their credit treadmill. Some, even come to high schools...

Well, they did, up until COVID...
                      Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Yes, that is true. They got my younger son.

He opened a checking account his freshman year and they asked if he wanted a credit card. He said sure. He managed his credit card use really well and they kept increasing his limit. Then he got a girlfriend and got in trouble rolling like a big dog.

Ultimately he cut up the card and dug himself out. He has now been working for a year and managing his spending very responsibly so he is tip toeing back into limited credit card use. Pay off the balance in full every month.

The experience in college was an expensive experience, but it was a good experience. He has gotten good at managing his money. Saved almost 30% of his gross income over the last 12 months.

Burning a hole in his pocket now. He wants to buy a motorcycle. Looking at a 2015 690 Duke for $4,200. Or buying the Honda from me and having it shipped.

I think he should save his money for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorg67 View Post

The experience in college was an expensive experience, but it was a good experience. He has gotten good at managing his money. Saved almost 30% of his gross income over the last 12 months.

Burning a hole in his pocket now. He wants to buy a motorcycle. Looking at a 2015 690 Duke for $4,200. Or buying the Honda from me and having it shipped.

I think he should save his money for now.
                          Saving 30% of his income is admirable. It sounds like his previous experience taught him financial responsibility. He can shop for the KaTooM as long as he has all the more important things in his life, covered.

His retirement set-up? Fully funded?
                          Too many youngsters don't realize the importance of investing in their retirement sooner, rather than later. This is, of course, if he's going the traditional route of "401/403/457/Roth" funded vehicles. While this is better than nothing, there may be better strategies for those that have more time on this planet than we older fossils.

Comment

He put 12% in 401K, another $2K in a Roth IRA. The rest in a brokerage account. Will only be true savings if he does not spend it.

He saves a lot by making his lunch every day. Does not drink or go out to dinner much. No vehicle payment. Will need to replace his vehicle in the next few years so that will be a bit of a hit.

May not be able to keep up 30%. But young single is the time to sock it away before you have a family and a mortgage.

Comment

Sounds like you taught him well. He's way ahead of the curve, if he's got any kind of retirement strategy.

50% of Americans have *zippo in any retirement. That's kinda scary. I guess those will be the one's that acquire a taste for cat food...

*No affiliation with Zippo lighters!

Comment

Working...
                              X