Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the Harley Davidson Street 500 or 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the Harley Davidson Street 500 or 750?

Just curious what any reviews might be on them for starter bikes.

I borrowed 500 and used it to commute for a week. 4 miles surface streets and 7 miles freeway. No problems at all. The 500 was very easy to ride and seemed quite versatile. It handled easily, braked pretty well (I would have liked a second disc), rode well, and had better than expected power. Accelerating from the nearly-stopped left lane into the rapidly moving HOV lane was much easier than I thought it would be. I think that it could go quite a long way as a starter bike. I have long legs and really appreciated the taller seat option.

Comment

Originally posted by AZridered View Post
      I borrowed 500 and used it to commute for a week. 4 miles surface streets and 7 miles freeway. No problems at all. The 500 was very easy to ride and seemed quite versatile. It handled easily, braked pretty well (I would have liked a second disc), rode well, and had better than expected power. Accelerating from the nearly-stopped left lane into the rapidly moving HOV lane was much easier than I thought it would be. I think that it could go quite a long way as a starter bike. I have long legs and really appreciated the taller seat option.
      Thanks for the feedback, as the both weigh 488lbs dry, I checked out the 750. Sitting on it felt very similar to my vstar 250. Just researching for a possible future 2nd bike.
      I did notice, the exhaust would have to be changed out to something a bit more mellow, was way too quiet for my taste.

Comment

How are you going to remap the ecm to suit the exhaust system change?

Comment

Originally posted by Trials View Post
          How are you going to remap the ecm to suit the exhaust system change?
          so many answers to such a baited question.

I choose the easy one. slip on

Comment

Good luck with that

Comment

Well.....if there is one group who seemingly get overwhelmingly positive results from the latest Power Commander it’s the Harley folk. Purely speculating here cause I’m not in that group but I’d probably be thinking Power Commander as my very first mod and slip-on’s following that.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
                Well.....if there is one group who seemingly get overwhelmingly positive results from the latest Power Commander it’s the Harley folk. Purely speculating here cause I’m not in that group but I’d probably be thinking Power Commander as my very first mod and slip-on’s following that.
                From what I'm seeing, that one and Vance and Hines--thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain J View Post
                  From what I'm seeing, that one and Vance and Hines--thanks for the input.

I’m not sure where Harley lies in the whole “locked ECU” situation. If locked there’s always the dealer key option if the dealers willing. That of course gets a bit tenuous as to just what a dealer faces if caught illegally remapping. In my world and around here there’s seldom even a hint of worry as if the dealer won’t do it there a custom repair shops on almost every corner. I’d look into that whole can of worms first as a good re-map eliminates the one downside of post ECU management systems (Power Commander) which is of course failure. I’d also look at the Power Commanders map section to see how many maps address Harley and Vance slip on’s specifically. A Power Commander with crappy maps doesn’t get you very far.

Most in my circles are REALLY happy with their PCV and I’ve been looking into things recently for my latest bike. In the end however, at least in SoCal, there are plenty of options!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
                    I’m not sure where Harley lies in the whole “locked ECU” situation. If locked there’s always the dealer key option if the dealers willing. That of course gets a bit tenuous as to just what a dealer faces if caught illegally remapping. In my world and around here there’s seldom even a hint of worry as if the dealer won’t do it there a custom repair shops on almost every corner. I’d look into that whole can of worms first as a good re-map eliminates the one downside of post ECU management systems (Power Commander) which is of course failure. I’d also look at the Power Commanders map section to see how many maps address Harley and Vance slip on’s specifically. A Power Commander with crappy maps doesn’t get you very far.

Most in my circles are REALLY happy with their PCV and I’ve been looking into things recently for my latest bike. In the end however, at least in SoCal, there are plenty of options!
                    there are no emissions tests here, harley shop didn't talk like adding a slip on was a problem.

I could always still pick up a vstar 650 that's new

Comment

This one or one just like it:
                      https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/08/...12-million-us/

Comment

You do realize laws are not enacted until something becomes a problem, do you want them to invoke motorcycle emission testing?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain J View Post
                          there are no emissions tests here, harley shop didn't talk like adding a slip on was a problem.

I could always still pick up a vstar 650 that's new
                          It's never a case of an emissions test and I wouldn't expect a shop to be to outwardly concerned about what a slip on may or may not do to the performance. Their job is to sell a bike and aftermarket pipes.

In the end it's the guidelines that Euro4 and current U.S. standards impose on manufacturers that severely limit stock exhaust systems and force them to tune bikes to run impossibly lean. The immediate result is snatchy throttle response and diminished horse power, even as a new unaltered machine. Ducati's historically have suffered greatly because of this and as I mention, although I'm not in the Harley circle, what I do see is a pretty steady flow of forum discussions citing Harley's with fueling problems. In recent years and at least for the Euro market manufactures must "lock" their ECU's in an attempt to make it more difficult to circumvent an end users ability to gain a richer running bike either as stock or when installing slip-on's, full exhausts or even air filters.

Since add-on exhausts (both full and slip on) tamper with that sometimes delicate fueling balance often a new map is required. If the ECU is not mappable (physically or even legally) then a third party fueling system must come into play. Power Commander ect.

In your hypothetical case (Harley 500) the mantra seems to be newer Harley's in-general could use help with their fueling solely as a stock bike. The equation gets even more convoluted when you start talking about adding aftermarket pipes. A Power Commander then makes sense in both scenarios but for different reasons. Hence my suggestion of a Power Commander first, then pipes.

All of that not withstanding many, many Harley riders make do with whatever fueling issues the bike (new pipes or not) might present. I don't wanna come off wrong here but I suspect part of it is the style of riding many adhere to is "more cruiser", "less sport".

In the end it's become an interesting tug-of-war between strict governmental emission guidelines and the need for many to go faster without the government requiring one to run a ridiculously lean bike.

Comment

California has always set the standards that we here in Canada simply adopt, that's not a new concept.
                            https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/b...e-power-tuners

Comment

Originally posted by Trials View Post
                              California has always set the standards that we here in Canada simply adopt, that's not a new concept.
                              https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/b...e-power-tuners
                              It's so enormously murky these days here in California. As the article suggests a motorcyclist can not be pulled over for suspicion of a fuel management system and or aftermarket pipes and honestly I can't remember anyone getting pulled over for either or even just an obnoxiouslyloud pipe. Certainly the California Highway Patrol see's 500+ bikes a day up on the Snake with illegal and ridiculously loud pipes. They'd have a feast if that was the criterion. On the other hand tail tidies seem to be a visual clue for the po-po and I have heard of folks getting pulled over for an illegal tail (including myself ).

Either which way I'm guessing' 98% of those cops patrolling my riding area's are gonna issue a fix-it way before a fine. At least for now I think those guys have their hands full with keeping the Rossi's at bay. The Power Commander that was on my old Ducati 696 made a ginormous difference and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if warranted. I'll come to a crossing point here soon with my Triumph when Remus releases their new pipe. Then I'll look at the options. Maybe an Arrow map (which is currently available) or a Power Commander. I'll worry about the po-po later
                              Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 11-30-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X