Duke 390 or similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke 390 or similar

I am looking for a starter bike. I have 1 year of riding experience, but my first bike was an R6, which i crashed a couple times. I haven't ridden in a few years since then, but I want back into the scene. I want a bike with a more upright seating position, I'm 6'1" 190 lbs. Also I won't buy a bike without ABS. I really like the Duke 390, are there any other bikes I should consider? I plan to pretty much use it for urban commuting.

Also consider the Ninja 300, now that the Ninja 400 is out, there should be some good deals on leftover 2017 Ninja 300's.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    sigpic
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

Triumph Street Twin if you're into retro - perfect city bike, IMHO. And, seconded Ninja 300. Honda CB500(R, F or X).
      "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Comment

Had a student with a Versys 300 X. He is about your size, too. Loves it.
        CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
        PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
        Test riding bikes since 2004.
        If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rachid View Post
          I am looking for a starter bike. I have 1 year of riding experience, but my first bike was an R6, which i crashed a couple times. I haven't ridden in a few years since then, but I want back into the scene. I want a bike with a more upright seating position, I'm 6'1" 190 lbs. Also I won't buy a bike without ABS. I really like the Duke 390, are there any other bikes I should consider? I plan to pretty much use it for urban commuting.

Kinda a weird sequence of events here 😎. I get the R6 as I’ve been on a couple. A genuinely brutal 600 sport/super sport performing bike. I know you wrecked your R6 twice. I know you want something more upright than your previous R6 which you wrecked so now you’re interested in a KTM 390 (or something similar) as a “starter” bike?

Perhaps (at least for me and before I start suggesting motorcycles) you could clear up this timeline? Seems a bit unusual as is😲

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
            I know you want something more upright than your previous R6 which you wrecked so now you’re interested in a KTM 390 (or something similar) as a “starter” bike?

Perhaps (at least for me and before I start suggesting motorcycles) you could clear up this timeline? Seems a bit unusual as is😲
            🤔Sounds to me like someone who recognizes that maybe their first choice in motorcycles wasn't the correct one for them and that stepping back to something a bit more forgiving and beginner friendly might be the way to go for a SECOND shot at starting out riding.

But who knows, I'm not the OP and could be way off in my guess. 😕

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Lezbert
            * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
            -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
            -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

Welcome to the site!
              Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and suggestions. AlwaysLearnin has it right. I started riding with an R6 as my first bike and scared myself out of the sport, that was back in 2013. I only rode that one crash-filled season, then got rid of the bike. Now I want to start riding again, but I recognize my mistake of starting out on that bike so I want to get a beginner friendly bike.

I do like the look of the CB500F, but its a cool thousand bucks more than the duke, and almost 100 extra pounds. Aside from that I think the seat height and ergos on the duke will fit me better. Most other bikes in the category are either too sport-bikey or too cruisery for my tastes.

Comment

I have had the CBR500R since June. It looks sport bike but the seating is very upright. Bike is smooth as hell...and fun as hell. But for me it's a short trip bike because of the wind noise and my Strom is just more comfortable for me.
                  CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
                  PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
                  Test riding bikes since 2004.
                  If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rachid View Post
                    I do like the look of the CB500F, but its a cool thousand bucks more than the duke, and almost 100 extra pounds. Aside from that I think the seat height and ergos on the duke will fit me better.
                    Don't buy new.
                    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Comment

Buy used or new is a personal choice and as long as you are aware of what that means, it won't affect what type of bike to buy (unless they don't make what you want any longer or it's a new model). If resale and worrying what a drop or two might do to the value, used might be better. If that isn't an issue for you, new is great. Personally, I am a new bike guy.

The Duke 390 should be an awesome bike. I don't know if it's changed recently, but my KTM required a bit more TLC than my Yamaha so you might need to account for shorter maintenance periods and a bit more costs.
                      "Don't push it. Just let it fall." - Duke Ellington
                      -------
                      Phillip
                      2012 Yamaha FZ1

Comment

Any chance getting a 250 enduro?

That would be the most "forgiving" for a newish rider.
                        Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Working...
                        X