No announcement yet.

2018 Vstar 250 or new 2015 vstar 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I get it...blah blah blah legal stuff blah blah blah more legal stuff and there's nothing to enforce any of that after the fact. That manual opens with a toxic chemical warning relating to the exhaust with the stock system, so once more I will post the question: what does removing the baffles do to enhance that effect? What does swapping the muffler do to enhance that effect? What does removing the muffler do to enhance that effect? The toxic stuff is already coming out with OEM mufflers, fewer (or no) baffles in the same or a swapped muffler (or no muffler) still lets that same stuff out, just with the added effect of more noise (and depending on the modification, less engine performance). While there are laws in every state regarding sound levels that address this sort of issue, I stand by the fact that this loud muffler (or straight pipe) does nothing in the way of contributing to the air pollution issue and furthermore there is no mandate to test the system for that issue...rather there's just a law that may or may not be enforced to address the sound level.
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 10-29-2017, 12:08 AM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    sigpic
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Good Morning

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
      Yeah, I get it...blah blah blah legal stuff blah blah blah more legal stuff and there's nothing to enforce any of that after the fact....
      Oh my no, you still don't get it

if you interpret all the "legal stuff" as blah blah blah then you really aren't looking for the enforcement part are you!
      Your Emissions control system is warrantied for 5 years! EPA mandates this and EPA rules are the only reason Anything on that bike has a 5 year warranty. Yamaha has identified the carburetor, the exhaust system and a few other bits as being critical to their emissions control system compliance! I'm sure Yamaha would love for new owners to drill holes in the exhaust and remove the tamper proof plug from your carburetor adjusting screws because you will immediately void their obligation to warranty those parts for the next 5 years!

Shadow you know enough about motorcycle engines to realize that if you replace or modify the exhaust system to make it significantly less restrictive, you will immediately need to enrich the fuel to air mixture entering the combustion chamber or the engine will run Way too lean. How are you going to do that on a 2018 Yamaha XV250
      • Drill out the tamper proof cap on the low speed adjustment screw?
      • Start tinkering with oversize carburetor jets?
      • Install a larger carburetor and larger poppet valves?
      • Replace the CV carb with a state of the art fuel injection system?

... any way you tamper with it you Will increase your carbon foot print and this particular bike model is probably imported using the EPA model averaging clause to begin with.

Originally posted by Trials View Post
      ... that's the thing about being environmentally conscious (so far) everybody has to make their own decision to either be part of the problem or part of the solution ...

Comment

if you interpret all the "legal stuff" as blah blah blah then you really aren't looking for the enforcement part are you!
        Your Emissions control system is warrantied for 5 years! EPA mandates this and EPA rules are the only reason Anything on that bike has a 5 year warranty. Yamaha has identified the carburetor, the exhaust system and a few other bits as being critical to their emissions control system compliance!
        No, I do get that. The part you keep missing is that Yamaha or any other manufacturer can warranty all that fun stuff for the next 5 years or 50 years or 500 years but with the absence of a mandated TEST of that system, you'll never know if any of it NEEDS replacement.

Well, you personally might know but nobody else will.

Shadow you know enough about motorcycle engines to realize that if you replace or modify the exhaust system to make it significantly less restrictive, you will immediately need to enrich the fuel to air mixture entering the combustion chamber or the engine will run Way too lean.
        Which, with the exception of one bike, is why I modify mine to be "less" restrictive versus "significantly less" restrictive. Many motorcycle mufflers can have their rear baffle excised with a hole saw while leaving the front baffle intact. You don't lose any back pressure and get a nice mellow tone that isn't obnoxiously loud. I've done this numerous times on Rebels & Shadows alike and never needed to futz with the carb(s) on any of them. I've drilled through the center portion of the baffles and also never had to futz with the carb(s), because there's still a significant amount of back pressure remaining. I'm still experimenting with my fishtails but so far a longer baffle seems to be doing the trick on my Rebel chopper in the way of a decent plug read. The only reason I had to rejet the carbs on my one bike was because I opted for a hypercharger on the other end, had I stuck with just the aftermarket pipes alone I'm pretty confident I would have gotten a decent plug read that didn't mandate futzing with the rest of that stuff.

Now if I were to go for something in the way of no muffler body or straight pipes then yes...I'm sure I would have to fool around with the rest of that list you supplied. BTW on pre-94 bikes (or somewhere in that vicinity) the carbs do not come with those tamper proof plugs over the adjustment screws...that was an EPA mandate that was passed along the way. But again, this is a smog test free motorcycle we're discussing, not a car that is subject to those tests so again, we'll never "know" if these bikes are spewing more crap into the air without a mandated test on the system.

If motorcycles ever garnered something vastly larger than the aforementioned 1:33 automobile representation, maybe the EPA might sit up and take notice in the way of enforcing smog checks. But as I said, it's far more productive to go after the supermajority of new/newer cars because that's the most lucrative source for veiled tax dollars. As it stands the motorcycles are still a minority even next to the aforementioned smog-test-free automobile population.
        Ride Safe, Chop Safer
        "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
        sigpic

Comment

... But again, this is a smog test free motorcycle we're discussing, not a car that is subject to those tests so again, we'll never "know" if these bikes are spewing more crap into the air without a mandated test on the system...
          Then why is it on the list of tested vehicles including their test compliance data: https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-f...es-and-engines

Comment

Once again, while it may be on the EPA's list, it is not on any state's list. Nor is it on Ontario's list either as you mentioned earlier. Name one locale in North America that mandates smog checks on bikes and we can wind this debate down. Yes, the EPA set standards for motorcycles. No, nobody is following up on those standards.
            Ride Safe, Chop Safer
            sigpic

Comment

... Name one locale in North America that mandates smog checks on bikes...
              New bikes! This is a 2018 model we are talking about here, so the correct answer is:
              All of them! it's a federal government mandate. They ain't getting into any of yer little states if it can't get past the really big border, and it doesn't matter what port of entry the goods are arriving at they still can't evade federal regulations.

Comment

Once more --- honestly, why is this so difficult for you to absorb? Who tests them every year or every two years or whatever period of time floats your boat when they're NOT new bikes?
                Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                sigpic

Comment

Oh boy. What a thread...
                  Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

that's what happens when it's 40 degrees F and pouring rain outside

How do you feel about federal law Norty, if it's not regularly enforced does the law even exist?
                    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound?

Comment

that's what happens when it's 40 degrees F and pouring rain outside

How do you feel about federal law Norty, if it's not regularly enforced does the law even exist?
                      If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound?
                      Federal law is just that. Depending upon the political environment, it may be enforced with zeal, or shuffled off to the wayside. We see this with differing administrations often.
                      But, you're right about the emissions law having teeth, if they choose to apply it. Jessie James found out the hard way regarding emissions and new vehicles. So did VW.

Lastly, yes, the tree does make a sound. Blows up lots of dust too.
                      Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Joined my first benefit cruise yesterday. 40 degrees out. I learned 3 things.
                        1. Winter gloves are a must.
                        2. Sprocket change coming up was a good idea (still waiting on the drive sprocket)
                        3. Louder exhaust would be a great help, it's WAY too quite at speed.

with the windscreen I have no problems until close to 60mph, those wind gusts and that 40degree air at 65mph was a learning experience.
                        All in all, it was fun.

Comment

A good rain suit is the warmest thing you will ever find for riding a motorcycle, even if it isn't raining. Although condensation can become a problem.

turbospoke

Comment

A good rain suit is the warmest thing you will ever find for riding a motorcycle, even if it isn't raining. Although condensation can become a problem.

turbospoke
                            Think I'll just get a pair of winter gloves

Comment

Just an update on the sprocket change, went from a 16/45 to a 17/40. Night and Day difference for the better. Couldn't tell that it lost any power, maybe a slight amount on low end, but 1st is no longer that obnoxious granny gear and 6th is actually more reasonable rpm at 65mph instead of screaming lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X