Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all! Long time no post. Time to update the diary...

I stopped riding 6 or so years ago when my DRZSM decided to break down. Since then, I got married, had kids, and gained a dad bod. A few weeks ago, my wife got tired of my whining and finally let me get a bike again.

So I thought, I loved riding the piss out of my GSXR600, a 1000 will surely be no big deal, right? So I made a quick decision knowing the window of opportunity my wife had just given me was likely to be a fleeting one and I bought a GSXS1000 without much of a second thought. Thankfully, I did practice a little bit at a nearby empty lot before heading home into rush hour.

First thoughts went something along the lines of "what did I get myself into?" and "why is something with so much power allowed on the street?" The hour long ride home from the dealership was tense. My arms tired out quickly from having a death grip on the bars and my throttle control was garbage. Also, every stop and turn was packed with fear of stalling. I let out a sigh of relief when I got home safely.

Due to poor weather and life (and maybe a little fear), I didn't take out the bike again until a couple weeks later. Second time around was much better thankfully as I didn't go into it with the same amount of fear, felt more natural, and I actually enjoyed it (although going around a cul-de-sac slowly was like riding a bucking bronco). Still, and this should come as no surprise on this forum, I definitely would not recommend getting a 1000 to a returning rider (note to self if I have to take another hiatus).

Comment

• Wicked eh
      ... do you realize how much better a rider and how much better physical condition you would be in right now if you had taken to riding a crappy little dirt bike over the last 6 years

Comment

• Originally posted by Trials View Post
        Wicked eh
        ... do you realize how much better a rider and how much better physical condition you would be in right now if you had taken to riding a crappy little dirt bike over the last 6 years
        I tried but the wife wasn't having it. I'm hoping to get her a Grom one day though. I figure that way I can get her into riding or at least improve my own skills.

Comment

• Or you could get a 250cc Trials bike which weighs 70 pounds lighter then your 125cc Grom, has a one finger clutch and a saddle that sits 4 inches lower, then you could both become stand up riders

Your lady doesn't sound like she is into it, might not be wise to force the issue because every time she crashes it will be your fault. Let it be her decision and it will be a lot easier on both of you.

Comment

Working...
          X