Suzuki S50 vs Honda Shadow Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki S50 vs Honda Shadow Spirit

I know this is a long shot more or less, but has anyone ridden both the S50 (Intruder) and the Honda Spirit 750? I'm trying to find out which is less buzzy, which is the better all-around bike (in terms of ease for in-town riding, and open back roads), is either one more top heavy than the other...? Any info appreciated.
    Blog

I don't have personal experience riding the Shadow, but I did have an Intruder 800 (now the S50) that I put about 5000 miles on. The Intruder is much lighter and MUCH faster than the Shadow 750. Not at all topheavy and very maneuverable. The stock seat sucked, and it won't win awards for fast cornering, but it was an all-around fun and easy bike to ride. Shaft drive also makes for lower maintenance......not sure if the Spirit is shaft or chain.....
    sigpic

Comment

Was the Intruder buzzy at all? My SV doesn't seem too terribly buzzy, which I like; the Spouse Thingy's VLX vibrates the fillings out of my teeth, which I need to avoid.

I suspect I'll be looking for a cruiser by the end of summer, anf figure I beet start figuring out which one sooner rather than later.
      Blog

Comment

Not buzzy, but you do get a bit of whine from the shaft drive at sustained high rpms. Honestly, if the seat had been more comfy, I might have hung onto that bike for a long time. I had just gone through dumping buttloads of money into another bike to make it "fit" me better, and I wasn't inclined to spend several hundred dollars on a new seat at the time.

My suggestion? Consider the S83......only a little heavier, and all the power you'll need for the rest of your life!
        sigpic

Comment

I considered the S83 briefly, but I'm not sure I want to go that big, especially when I know in a couple of years I'll be backing down to a scooter. I do love the looks and the flickability of the S50...as long as it's not buzzy, it'll be at the top of my list. Surely there's an aftermarket seat to be found somewhere...
          Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            ...especially when I know in a couple of years I'll be backing down to a scooter.
            Why, if you don't mind me asking?
            2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
            2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
            1987 Kawasaki KZ305
            I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Comment

Three different chronic pain conditions that are making it really difficult to get on and off my bike. While I can totally flat foot on the SV, I sometimes can't even get my leg over it to ride, and then I worry I'll get stuck trying to get off...really limits when I can ride because I need someone around to help me pull me leg off.

I figure a lower cruiser for the next year or so might work...but after that I'll get a scooter that I'll have an easier time getting on and off of. I'm thinking a less buzzy cruiser just for the post ride pain factor...I won't ride the VLX because it's not terribly back-friendly after a while.

My brain says to trade the SV in and just get the scooter, my inner toddler wants a BIKE. My inner toddler also wants an MP3 scooter, so who knows...? I just wish those weren't so spendy.
              Blog

Comment

Have Ridden both the S50 and 750 Spirit (earlier chain-drive model) ... S50 is faster, more manoeuverable and slightly more comfy (feet less forward than Spirit) ... the Spirit while less "spirited" than the S50 seemed to have a slightly smoother engine ... I'd go for the S50, but if you really, really want a Spirit, go for the new VT750C2 ... shaft-drive and a much better Bike overall than it's chain driven predecessor!
                Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes!

Comment

Thanks...I do prefer the S50 over the Spirit, and the feet slightly less forward is a plus for me, as well. Thanks!
                  Blog

Comment

I test rode an ACE 750. I thought the pegs were VERY buzzy, and the bars were too low.

I own an M50 (same engine as the S50) and have no complaints.... except the seat.

Comment

I love the M50...just wish it were a skwoosh lighter...
                      Blog

Comment

I own an ACE750. I never really thought of it as buzzy, but that's just me. I did take Bobthearch's Volusia (aka C50) for a test spin in Durango. My thoughts were that it didn't handle as well as the ACE, but that is was a superior bike to mine in every other aspect. My one beef with the S50 is that teeny tiny gas tank. But then I ride in places where it isn't uncommon to go 80 miles without a gas station, so I am biased on that one.
                        '02 Shadow ACE 750 - "Fats"
                        '01 Nighthawk 250 - "Piglet"
                        46,000 miles since October '03

Originally posted by LoDownSinner
                        So, I'm obviously incorrect.

sigpic

Comment

Gotta wonder why they went with such a tiny tank on the S50. But, for the riding I do, it wouldn't be a problem.

How was the handling different between the ACE and the C50? Just curious...
                          Blog

Comment

Just to confuse you some more, how about the Vulcan 750? Bigger tank than the S50 with more standard options, is almost as fast and corners better than any others you have mentioned. And from experience I can tell its there is no buzziness, bike is smooth as glass all the way to 100MPH.
                            Got Beer?

2006 Vulcan 900 LT

Comment

Have you looked at the VStar650? I rode one yesterday and the only complaints I had were the typical Yammie fraction zone & the forward pegs. The forward pegs are just something I'm not used to. The pegs were a little buzzy at certian RPM's but not bad at all. The seat is very low and comfy.
                              The whir of gear driven cams makes me giddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X