Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allright, since I offered, I'll start this off (kinda long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allright, since I offered, I'll start this off (kinda long)

From my website, here's my wreck account, verbatim:

Wow. As you probably saw on the main page, I dumped my bike. Saturday, 24 July at appx. 20:43hrs, I exited the vehicle. Here's the story.

Around 2040hrs, I left Mike's (ACE750) after doing around a 75 mile pre-flight run for the upcoming Beginner Bike's Bug Bash in early August with him and Melissa. I turned left from Possum Run onto Feedwire Rd., behind a slower moving pickup truck. I knew there was a passing zone beyond the bridge crossing US 675, so as I pulled up on the truck, I set myself up for a pass once I cleared the bridge. There was one car turning about a half mile+ up the road onto Feedwire, so I had plenty of room to pass once the passing zone appeared. I had been winding first coming up behind the truck, so I grabbed second and proceeded to signal and pass. I cleared the front of the truck, signaled and started back right, and then things went bad.
    Some combination of the bad pavement that's right there (I saw it flash up as I began banking right), the banking itself, and being on it hard in second caused the front wheel to hop. Immediately the hop turned into a violent headshake, then almost immediately into a tankslapper. I had the presence of mind to grab the pegs with my feet and squeeze as hard as I could with my legs, and since I couldn't get the bars under control, I grabbed as much throttle as I could. Throttle, Throttle, Throttle, Please God come up, Please God come up!!! No luck. The front tire kept skipping instead of lifting, (if it had lifted I'd have been able to straighten it, and drop onto a lined-up wheel) so all the throttle did was manage to get me away from the front of the truck I'd just passed.
    At this point, I lost spatial orientation, as I left the bike. From looking at pics of the damage and where I ended up, I think I low-sided pretty hard. I apparently slid down into the ditch and hit the bottom, because the next motion I do remember for sure was a hard jolt, then a complete ass-over-teacups flip, then a landing on my butt. My helmet had come open, and the chin-guard was behind my head. My left knee was trashed, and my right ankle didn't feel too hot either. The first lady down the ditch side said she'd called 911, and I had the presence of mind to get the next person down there to call Amanda at home, so she'd know. The ambulance arrived very quickly, and the EMTs commenced with cutting off my gear. They tried to just take my left boot off, but after I cursed them loudly and thoroughly, they decided it was better to cut it off. They managed to get my exploded glove off over my left hand, and had to cut my jeans off. I got the standard "What day is it?" type questions, but all I could think about was "why the hell wouldn't that front tire lift and let me un-fuck myself?" or "Which way did my bike go?" Shock sucks. I got the ambulance ride to the hospital (Miami Valley), and then spent a couple of hours in the trauma ward since surgery kept having care-flight guys come in at a higher priority... Guess they were really messed up.
    Amanda made it to the hospital before I did, and I actually didn't lose consciousness until I was in the ER. To sum up all the injuries:

Right Ankle: Minor ligament tears, currently in a cast. Approved to bear weight as much as I can stand, in order to get in and out of bed, into my wheelchair, etc.

Left Knee: When they went to stabilize it, they found that my femur had actually punched through the bag that holds all the cartilage and fluids in place in the knee. They had to make some incisions in order to move the femur back through and to realign everything. They don't know if the exterior ligaments are very inflamed or torn at this point. Pretty much all the other ligaments are shredded. I've got a scar to the right of my kneecap where they went in to stabilize, and have an external fixator to keep the knee from moving. Basically, I've got two stainless screws in the top of my shin, and two stainless screws in the side of my thigh, and a series of carbon fiber bars and titanium clamps holding everything in perfect alignment. Carbon fiber bike accessories are cool. Carbon fiber leg accessories are NOT cool.

Left side/ Left Hand: Minor road rash. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket did its job very well, and the only real road rash I've got is where the cell phone I had clipped to the outside of the jacket pulled it up when I augured in. My left hand has some nice gashes, probably from getting caught up in the left handlebar as it beat the crap out of the tank. The skin is all tight, but at least nothing's broken.

What's planned: Surgery on Friday, 6 August to fix the right ankle, and to scope the left knee. If the exterior ligaments have just been inflamed, they'll just scope the knee, but if the ligaments were torn, the doc said he's going to go ahead and repair them at the same time. Then it's another 4 weeks in the external fixator, wherein I'll still be confined to the house.

Here's some links to pics:
    Flip Face Helmet
    Flip Face Helmet Faceguard
    Leather burn on my hand (Road Rash Alert)
    Laid up in the hospital, with pins in my leg

I've got bike pics if anybody wants to see them.

Lessons learned:
    1. Tankslappers suck
    2. See #1
    3. Think about where you are and what you're doing, not which way you're going to get back to the house. Save route change decisions for that time waiting on a stoplight
    4. ATGATT!!!!
    5. Flip Face Helmets have their drawbacks. I wouldn't steer anybody away, as mine did its job in the initial bump, but I've got a new full face now...

Questions, Comments, Snide remarks?
    sigpic

I take it that you did not have a steering damper on the SuperHawk?
    07 Triumph Tiger 1050

Comment

I'd probably not try to get the front wheel up to get out of a tankslapper on a big streetbike, but it would have worked if the wheel came up. I've ridden out 2 bad ones on the street, with neutral throttle on both. I have used that technique offroad, but the situation and the bikes are different.

I can't bust on you too bad for for what you did, though. Gutsy move. Pretty cool story, hope you heal up ok.

Comment

ouch that must of hurt

Comment

MikeInSLC,
          I have one now... The 'hawk isn't really known for headshake issues like a TL1000R or the RC51(to some extent), so I wasn't originally worried. That said, Excrement Occurs, and I've added one, again not because the 'hawk is prone to this bad behavior, but I'm paranoid.

Mugster,
          I've since learned that rear brake also helps. Something to do with slowing down the rear 'gyroscope', not exactly sure of the physics. 'course like I said above, I've got a steering damper now.

sigpic

Comment

I like the looks of that damper....I'd suppose that any torquey liter twin would be a safer bike with it! I'm considering one for my Z1000....I just need to find one like you have instead of the push rod type that I can't fit to my bike without getting in the way of my leg.

Thanks for sharing the story...
            07 Triumph Tiger 1050

Comment

Mike

GPR stabilizers look very similar to the Scotts. Most of their products, since they have only been in the business for a couple of years, are geared toward bikes commonly found on the track (and I think the Jap bikes in particular). The guys I see riding on the track seem to be switching over to the Scotts or GPR stabilizers rather than the rod types.

I'm not sure if they have one for the Z1000 yet, but you could always give them a call. They used my fiancee's 636 to prototype for the Kawi 600 bikes.
              Suzie
              '13 KLX 110L - "Kermit"
              '04 NSR 50
              GWA Member

Comment

Thanks, spot....doesn't look like GPR offers one for the Z yet...and the Scotts would require welding the post to the frame....

Matris makes one for the Z that's a rod type, but rides over the steering stem rather than from the triple tree to the frame on the side....that might be a good option...
                07 Triumph Tiger 1050

Comment

Are you drawing up any tattoos to "accent" your cool scars?

(did he just say what I think he said?)

Comment

Brotha J,

Hadn't really thought about tattoos, although a couple of the "bullet-hole" type ones would look pretty cool surrounding the pin scars in my leg. My knee still doesn't feel right, which tends to make me cringe when thinking about any non-anesthestetized work being done near it. Dates and arrows could be cool though, kinda like an accident diagram. I do have some tatts currently, see here:
                    Left Arm
                    Right Arm

Current plan is to put thorns around my left arm (all the way around) and "Deus et Patria" across my back. This bullet-hole concept has the wheels spinning though...
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not a big steering dampener fan, although alot of of the guys i race with offroad are using them now. If you overload the frame/suspension, something is going to happen, either headshake or something else. Its the something else I worry about more than a little chatter...not talking about a full blown tank slapper.

Yeah, seems like a little rear brake might help, I hear ya. I think the ultimate solution goes back to that smoothness thing.

Comment

I think the ultimate solution goes back to that smoothness thing.
                        Thank you ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

You're absolutely right on that one. Had I been more smooth and not whacked the throttle open, and hammered my way through the passing maneuver, while actually paying attention, this whole situation could have been avoided. But hindsight is 20/20.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good story.

Bad injuries!

Glad you're OK and on the mend.

Comment

Working...
                          X