Crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing

Do you prefer to crash going forward or backwards?
    I crashed going backwards today and I think I prefer to crash going forward, at least that way you get to see what's going to hurt, instead of trying to remember if there was any big jagged rocks that you went by on your way up and you are never really sure how far down the ground is, so it's much harder to prepare for the sudden stop.
    forwards
    100.00%
    backwards
    0.00%

Kind of a weird poll on a motorcycling site based in safety.
    I prefer to not crash at all.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

Comment

then I'm guessing you haven't crashed backwards yet

Comment

When you ride trials bikes you do crash occasionally, or you are likely not riding hard enough stuff,
        it sort of comes with the territory. The average trials rider could not possibly count the number of times they have crashed. You actually get pretty good at it. I minder for expert riders and you get pretty good at catching flying motorcycles too, I have a bunch of new riders helping minder here now too, it's actually very cool because some of them are freakin giants.

Comment

oh and my back is almost completely healed, ready to try again on the weekend,
          the weather here is suppose to be improving drastically and a bunch of riders are going to turn out on trials and enduro bikes

... those hard enduro guys crash even more then I do

Comment

I was rear ended on my street bike once,
            that was pretty close to a backwards crash off an 8 foot rock onto a jagged rock done that one several times,
            I wear a back protector now.

Comment

There you go, this guy knows what I'm talking about:

Comment

Notice his rear sprocket has no holes and the front brake has a full plastic guard,
                thats a safety feature so the guy catching the bike does not get his fingers chopped off,
                although that is a terrible place to put your fingers anyway, you should be grabbing the stanchion tube

Comment

C> None of the above.

This sounds suspiciously like my attempt at a "Lay 'er Down" thread at the BBO facebook group.

(I'm actually disappointed at how all of the big beginner bike members were ominously silent for that one)
                  Sent from your mom's phone
                  "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                  Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                  "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                  "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                  Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                  sigpic
                  3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Does that man look like he is intentionally crashing? He still has his hands on the bars for a reason. He's done it many times.

Besides that, when was the last time you seen an actual novice on here?
                    Last edited by Trials; 11-03-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Yup, crashing forwards does give you a chance to prepare for a known impact.

Crashing backwards leaves little more than "hope for best."

Crashing backwards leaves all your knowledge to the unknown.

Like falling off a precipitous.

A small fall doesn't really hurt
                      A medium fall does hurt.
                      A large fall doesn't hurt at all.
                      Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Norty knows about crashing backwards,
                        obviously ridden on steep terrain lots or has been rear ended by a truck.

Comment

Does falling off the back during a wheelie count?

(asking for a friend)
                          Sent from your mom's phone
                          "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                          Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                          "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                          "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                          Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                          sigpic
                          3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
                            Does falling off the back during a wheelie count?

(asking for a friend)
                            Yes, that's how it usually starts.
                            Then after you land square on your tail bone you walk funny for a week.

Getting rear ended by a car or truck also usually counts as a rear dismount. I had that one happen too, it hurts even if you don't hit the ground.

Comment

Working...
                            X