No announcement yet.

Why Chain Alignment Matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two dumbells at the back and two at the front, each 16 cm apart and connected by string. This way the rear tire is free to spin and I can check for wobble as well as for alignment.

Comment

Be sure you hold on to those dumb bells. Those are commanding good pricing, right now.

Maybe substitute rubber bands for string. Just inter lock them together, then stretch 'em.

I've been known to measure the "air gap" on the sides of the front tire, as compared to the rear tire. Can get fairly close by doing this.
      Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

I simply measure the distance center-to-center between the axle and swingarm mount on both sides, adjusting the axle until both match.
        Sent from your mom's phone
        "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
        Ride Safe, Chop Safer
        "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
        "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
        Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
        sigpic
        3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Hey Sorg, I just knocked out a set of motorcycle wheel bearings in 7 minutes,

the key to doing it was a length of 3/8" threaded rod, 2x3/8 " nuts, a couple of washers and 2 wrench sockets.
          One socket has to be big enough to swallow up the bearing and the other socket needs to be just slightly larger then your axle.
          Now I just need to phone around for some cheap 6004 sealed bearings and go for a shopping ride

Comment

Bearings are installed took about 1 minute to press the bearings in, I just used the axle and a custom spacer. Don't forget to put the spacer between the bearing before you press the bearings in that would not be good.

Throw me your wheel, if it uses 6004 bearings I can swap them out in about 10 minutes
            and I work slow!

Comment

Y'all don't use laser alignment kits?
              The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

Comment

Originally posted by atonic View Post
                Y'all don't use laser alignment kits?
                only when my lasers need realignment.

Comment

Poor mans Bearing puller

Hope this works picture provided for clarity.
                  ... the picture that is I know the tool works, it has been thoroughly tested.

Comment

Sorg Did you get that bike fixed yet,
                    I put a new chain and rear sprocket on my primary bike today and thought about you when I was lining it up,
                    I think I got it on there straight enough.

Another rider had his rear bearings crap out last weekend, his went completely to pieces. Don't wait that long to service them on a street bike.

Comment

Harley rear wheel bearings?
                      Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

CBR500 I think it was
                        ... I know another guy that was having problems removing H-D rear wheel bearings.
                        He bought a tool that uses an expanding collet and it wasn't grabbing.
                        Is there a secret to pull those easy?

Comment

Working...
                        X