No announcement yet.

Weather to ride, or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a few 30-32 degree pre-sunrise rides to work these past couple of weeks. I think I'll be looking into motocross handguards as my fingers are numb by the time I get to work. I swear there's just no such thing as a glove that keeps your fingers warm.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    sigpic
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
      I swear there's just no such thing as a glove that keeps your fingers warm.
      Electrically heated gloves work, but are pricey. Look for the carbon weave ribbon heating elements over wire heating. Heated grips work too, but are not as effective at keeping your fingers warm. Heated grips however can't be forgotten at home.

Comment

The quick reply box begged me to write something, so...

The Bark Busters on the XT-250 make a significant difference by keeping the wind off my (thick) gloves. The heated grips on the Kawasaki are nice, but... the wind still leaves me with cold fingers.

So, I've been looking for a way to block the wind on it, too. There USED to be at least two different air deflectors for the Concours, both highly rated, and both unavailable.
        Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
        '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

What you need is a pair of Beaver hide handlebar muffs, that will keep your fingers warm I bet you never seen a cold Beaver.
          3 inches of fresh snow here this morning but the plan is to still go riding in the woods, far be it for me to change a plan to ride so riding today it is

Comment

Today was bad, tomorrow can only be better

Comment

Our last storm of the year:

Snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 2am, then freezing rain between 2am and 4am, then rain after 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 33 by 4am. Breezy, with a southeast wind 15 to 20 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
              Of course, for New Year's Day, we get an additional coating of ice!
              Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
              '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

Oh look, a brand new site and a brand new year
                Happy new year it looks ice out, go riding!

Comment

. . . and just like that the need for warmer hands is gone. We get a few weeks of pre-sunrise 30's temps here around Christmas & New Year's and then it shoots back up to the comfortable 40's. It's like rain gear, a worthless investment out here as we got two days of precipitation last year. Couple that with those few brief weeks of near-freezing temps and that's why we only see snow that sticks to the ground (for a few hours tops) once per decade. Yeah, odds the local bookies won't touch.
                  Sent from your mom's phone
                  "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                  Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                  "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                  "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                  Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                  sigpic
                  3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

I just finished replacing 200 missing sheet metal screws that I lost out of my tires so far this winter. I'm going to ride GripStuds next season, the guys running those aren't losing a single one.
                    About a half foot of snow on ice here in various states of compaction, single digit minus temperatures in the day and -15C at night works really well for studded tires. My lake is frozen thick enough to ride on but the next lake over is not safe, it's been a mild winter. Thanks for the extended riding season global warming.

Comment

Cold but Great riding yesterday for 5 of us.
                      One time I crashed I just brushed my leg against the rear tire studs on the way down :/ I don't recommend that part, it's a little bit like falling on a running chainsaw.

Comment

It's really nice out.
                        My buddy left his KTM with full studs here.
                        Weather is a nice brisk -9c, now it's a question of whether to ride or service motorcycles lol tough choice, guess I better do both, no sense in ending the riding season yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X