X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Peeves

A survey was conducted by "Harris Poll."

Here are the riders' top five "pet peeves" regarding other riders~

1. Riders who are reckless or are aggressive in their riding.

2. Riders who pass on the shoulder.

3. Riders who "lane split."

4. Riders who choose not to wear protective clothing.

5. Riders who choose not to wear helmets.

Rider's top 5 pet peeves for vehicle drivers~

1. Drivers that don't check their blind spots before merging.

2. Drivers who text

3. Aggressive or reckless drivers

4. Drivers who tailgate.

5. Drivers who don't use turn signals.

Riders' view of top 5 rookie rider mistakes~

1. Assuming other drivers can see them.

2. Wanting to "show off" or impress others.

3. Buying a bike that is more than they can handle.

4. Riding on "high traffic" roads before they have the skills to do so. TIE

4. Not taking a riding or safety course. TIE

5. Failure to check blind spots.

This survey was conducted online by Harris Poll on behalf of Erie Insurance from June 19-23 and June 25-29, 2015. 192 motorcycle riders

11% admitted they had no motorcycle insurance.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

What are your "pet peeves" when riding?
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Comment

Originally posted by NORTY View Post
      A survey was conducted by "Harris Poll."

Here are the riders' top five "pet peeves" regarding other riders~

1. Riders who are reckless or are aggressive in their riding.

2. Riders who pass on the shoulder.

3. Riders who "lane split."

4. Riders who choose not to wear protective clothing.

5. Riders who choose not to wear helmets.
      1. Reckless
      2. Stunnaz wannabee "biker boyz" on highways
      3. Speed up in the straights, park it in the corners, speed up, slow down.. repeat.
      4. Riders who don't pay attention if there's traffic / other riders stacking up behind them
      5. Riders riding on poorly maintained bikes

Originally posted by NORTY View Post

Rider's top 5 pet peeves for vehicle drivers~

1. Drivers that don't check their blind spots before merging.

2. Drivers who text

3. Aggressive or reckless drivers

4. Drivers who tailgate.

5. Drivers who don't use turn signals.
      1. OMG weekend warrior traffic out of town! Minivans and campers from out of state clogging up twisties driving under the posted limit and not pulling over to let others pass (see stacking up). Repeats on Sunday evenings back into town.
      2. Inattentive drivers - texting, daydreaming, clueless, eating, etc
      3. Trucks with uncovered loads
      4. Boy racers wanting to challenge a bike
      5. Drivers who ride their brakes
      Last edited by asp125; 08-04-2015, 07:01 PM.
      When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
      sigpic
      08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
      Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
      my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
      MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

4. Drivers who tailgate.
        and
        Riders who drove the cost of my insurance up, whoever they are … although I've never actually seen one.

Minivans +1 to that they are the worst tailgaters

Comment

Most of those pet peeves are only annoyances. Wait for a passing opportunity and "zoom", annoyance over.
          Last edited by asp125; 08-04-2015, 07:00 PM.
          When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
          sigpic
          08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
          Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
          my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
          MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

Moved to General since it is riding related.
            CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
            PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
            Test riding bikes since 2004.
            If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
            sigpic

Comment

Can't believe those who don't check their blind spots before merging is #1. If I'm in a blind spot at a merge it's my own fault.
              Riders who tailgate, aggressive and reckless drivers fall under someone texting?! (not in my book)

Comment

Originally posted by buzzyclone View Post
                .... If I'm in a blind spot at a merge it's my own fault.
                Riders who tailgate, aggressive and reckless drivers fall under someone texting?! (not in my book)
                You're right about the blind spots (the "No Zone" -- even though it applies mainly to trucks, cars have blind spots too)

As far as texting goes though, yeah I think its more dangerous. Ever go past someone with both hands in their lap, head bowed, texting and going full speed down the road? I have. I'll take a reckless driver with their head and eyes up with at least one hand on the wheel over the texter any day. The tailgaters....been there....them you can keep, but at least I can pull over and get out of their way.
                Originally posted by Lezbert
                * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
                -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
                -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
                  The tailgaters...at least I can pull over and get out of their way.
                  +1, that's what I always do, scre* 'em !
                  Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post

As far as texting goes though, yeah I think its more dangerous. Ever go past someone with both hands in their lap, head bowed, texting and going full speed down the road? I have. I'll take a reckless driver with their head and eyes up with at least one hand on the wheel over the texter any day. The tailgaters....been there....them you can keep, but at least I can pull over and get out of their way.
                    Well the public service announcements and media have been successful in highlighting texting and it is a massive problem that rivals drunk driving, but the facts are that aggressive, reckless drivers cause more fatalities and accidents (they just think they're in control).

Comment

Originally posted by buzzyclone View Post
                      Well the public service announcements and media have been successful in highlighting texting and it is a massive problem that rivals drunk driving, but the facts are that aggressive, reckless drivers cause more fatalities and accidents (they just think they're in control).
                      It may be so that the PSA's have been successful in highlighting texting while driving but people don't change. They always think "It's not gonna happen to me"..... until it does. Hopefully at that point they haven't killed themselves or someone else. Actually, if you think about it, texting and driving is sort of reckless driving. Maybe not agressive, but certainly reckless.

My favorite story is one told by my late cousin: On his way to work one day he passes a car and glances to his right. What does he see? A woman eating breakfast on the go. No hands on the wheel and holding a bowl of cereal in one hand and a spoon in the other!
                      Originally posted by Lezbert
                      * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
                      -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
                      -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

People towing campers, trailers, or boats that DO NOT install the extended mirrors on their trucks! So basically all they can see in their mirrors is what they are towing, they can't see the HUGE line of vehicles stacked up behind them ...
                        Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
                        2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

sigpic

Comment

This.

Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
                          1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
                          COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
                          my YouTube channel: ToastRider

sigpic

Comment

When I have someone roll by my right with their window open/phone in ear, I simply downshift and match speed.

I love my loud pipes.
                            Sent from your mom's phone
                            "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                            Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                            "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                            "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                            Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                            sigpic
                            3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Straight roads

Comment

Working...
                              X