Pirelli is now Chinese !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirelli is now Chinese !

The emblem of the Italian tire industry, which weighs € 6 billion per year (1 € = $ 1.09) just went into the hands of the group "China National Chemical Corporation".
    Fifth World tire supplier, Pirelli, which generates a net profit of 838 million euros per year, will now be controlled by ChemChina, which has a presence in 140 countries and generates 70 billion euros in turnover. A drop in the Chinese Ocean, the sale was completed on Sunday 22 March.

Let's just hope they continue to manufacture the same quality products, because as a kid, my first 50 cc had Yokohama tires mounted on, and under rainy conditions, a soap bar in a bath tub was not as slippery...
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Oh I knew this thread would not bring much posting, but am a bit surprised that no one has anything to say about one of the tire legend going completely East ?
    The thread was to be perceived as purely informative anyhow, so it's all good

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Rebel View Post
      .... as a kid, my first 50 cc had Yokohama tires mounted on, and under rainy conditions, a soap bar in a bath tub was not as slippery...
      I'll reply, even if only to say that this ^^^^ made me chuckle!

Semt usung tapatalk wuth my fat fingers snd a tiny keyboard!
      Originally posted by Lezbert
      * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
      -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
      -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Comment

But would they pronounce it Pelelli?
        When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
        sigpic
        08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
        Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
        my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
        MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

I guess the big question is: How is this going to pan out for FIM and motor racing.

… was an interesting read about Bluestar history and the affiliated companies and products.
          they even have comics.

Comment

It really annoys me when any company sells out integrity, for instance I was in the major appliance industry, and as an example one maker for instance Maytag a fairly reliable appliance had it's name tag put on other brands of lesser quallity...a complete rip off to the buying public..like buying a Rollex with a Timex inside.

Now re the tire I don't expect much integrity from sellers any more...buyer beware
            2004 Sportster sold
            2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
            Sears putt put 109cc-- sold
            1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
            2016 T100 Bonny

Comment

Steamed buns?
              Originally posted by bikebitsmall
              64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
              Originally posted by CaptCrash
              A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugguts View Post
                Steamed buns?
                That's when you pour water over the hot rocks in the sauna, Bugs....
                Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
                '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
                  I'll reply, even if only to say that this ^^^^ made me chuckle!
                  AL ! Well done bud !

Originally posted by asp125 View Post
                  But would they pronounce it Pelelli?
                  You are mean !

Originally posted by bikebitsmall View Post
                  It really annoys me when any company sells out integrity, for instance I was in the major appliance industry, and as an example one maker for instance Maytag a fairly reliable appliance had it's name tag put on other brands of lesser quallity...a complete rip off to the buying public..like buying a Rollex with a Timex inside.
                  Now re the tire I don't expect much integrity from sellers any more...buyer beware
                  Timex were not so bad...
                  About Pirelli, I don't know how the manufacturing of the rubbers is/will change, the only thing I know, is that the CEO Marco Tronchetti Provera, over the years, had already lost his hands-on the company, and had only 6% of the company's share capital. But clever and by a smart swing, he maintains, despite his minority stake the power on major decisions of the group, as at the time of launching Pirelli into Formula 1.

I cannot imagine that the Chinese would operate on major manufacturing changes of the brand, and/or changes in its technical assets ?

Comment

Chinese ownership of high tech companies is not a bad thing for the quality of the products produced.

The "problem" with Chinese manufacturing is economic, not technical, in the main stream marketplace. The low labor rates and government subsidies for manufacture in China make the cost of products lower which makes a greater value proposition vs other producing nations. Are there crappy products made by Chinese companies? Yep, but they are typically companies who make their business model making facsimile products design to appear to be name brands, but that are no was associated with them.

My employer is a US Subsidiary of an Italian Company. Luckily it is privately owned. However the labor laws in Italy make it very difficult to run a manufacturing business. Pretty much once a company hires someone, they are responsible for them until retirement. It is almost impossible to fire someone, so hiring new folks is avaided as much as possible. Even though the cost of raw materials is the same here and in Europe, even igoring shipping costs, we can make products less expensivly in the US than they can in Italy, and manufacturing costs are even lower at our Shanghai facility.

We globally source raw materials. I can safely say that one of our major raw materials, Aluminum foil, is primarily sourced from China and Korea. They have brand new, state of the art aluminum production facilities. Compared to the very few producers in the US, quality control, consistency, lead time, responsiveness and technical support from the Chinese and Korean suppliers is head and shoulders above that of the US and European suppliers. Oh, and the cost is a good 25% less, WITH shipping.

We have a couple US vendors of other materials that have been purchased by Chinese firms. The majority of the management and work force remained the same, but quality and responsiveness improved, cost was lowered and they are doing just fine.

The Chinese companies, such as ChemChina, are rpimarily interested in making profits. They know that with high profile brands, product quality and industry reputation are just as important as cost cutting. I wouldn't worry about Pirelli. Unless "Italianess" is an important factor, I am willing to bet that their tires will be just as good, if not better than ever.
                    Keith

'11 Triumph Sprint GT - Blue (The fastest color)
                    '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - Blue (The fastest color)

Originally posted by atomicalex
                    It feeds my love of machinery to be that close with my whole body.

Comment

Hmmm....Chinese drywall? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

Chinese auto parts? (A complaint I've heard from Wrench about increased failure rates of installed parts)

As you said, KAC, yes, there are some crappy parts made by Chinese companies. So it's understandable if the consumer is wary. Just as years ago "Made In Japan" meant substandard quality. It's good to have your feedback that it's not all bad quality.
                      Originally posted by bikebitsmall
                      64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
                      Originally posted by CaptCrash
                      A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugguts View Post
                        It's good to have your feedback that it's not all bad quality.
                        It's not necessarily bad.
                        More & more Chinese companies are following "ISO" standards, and it is not Chinese...

Though, I am worried that since we are "only" speaking about "rubber" here, the fast $ gain might overcome the quality, and I am also afraid that the Italian "racing" philosophy might be altered/lost/ignored...?

Comment

Working...
                        X