Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clair View Post
    Not quite sure I'm following you ...
    If you're in the far left or far right lane, you only have to worry about cars coming into your lane from one side.

Typically cars don't follow each other less than a bike length apart. If you ride next to the open space, then if either car comes over they'll be close to you, but not run right into you. The only time

When I'm riding on the highway I typically do just like with semi trucks--hang back next to an empty space, then speed up a little and hang in the next empty space. It has saved me more than once, where somebody comes over right in front of my front wheel instead of into my bike.
    Sportbikes are NOT BEGINNER BIKES

Current Bikes: 2009 Yamaha FJR1300A | 2009 Kawasaki Versys | 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    Past Bikes: 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold) | 1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (sold) | 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Jehos View Post
      Are you sure about that?
      Yes, I am. I ride and drive in rush hour traffic daily.

Next time you're stuck in traffic, think about which lanes only put traffic to one side of you. Then take a look at the space between cars in the same lane. Could your bike fit in there if it had to? If you're riding next to that space, and one of the cars comes into your lane, will you get hit? If your lane is moving at a different speed from the other lanes, how can you spend as much time as possible next to empty space and as little time as possible next to other cars?
      I ride mostly on surface street rush hour traffic. Trouble is caused exactly when someone tries to zip from one lane to another, cutting someone off or eliminating a space cushion. If I'm in a line of cars that's hardly moving, but the lane next to me IS moving, even just a tad bit more, it's still two lines of cars with little to no space between those cars. If I do change lanes and squeeze into a bike-sized gap, I am still in a line of cars next to one (or between two) lines of cars. That's my daily experience. Yours may differ.
      '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
      '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Comment

Originally posted by KACinPA View Post
        .....I pulled over to the right lane, behind the slow car and let Mr. truck take the left to pass. Of course he had to give me a single finger salute as he passed, to prove his manhood and show me that I shouldn't impede his progress. No big deal, I followed Mr. Pokey for another mile and a half before he pulled off and I made it home safe and sound, and when I checked my male bits were still attached, so I'm good.
        You sir, have my respect. Well done.
        Originally posted by bikebitsmall
        64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
        Originally posted by CaptCrash
        A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugguts View Post
          You sir, have my respect. Well done.
          Well, taking into account that I don't heal as well as I used to ("late middle age" and 20+ years of Type I diabetes), and I have ZERO to gain by pi$$ing off a guy in a F-350, what else would I do?
          Keith

'11 Triumph Sprint GT - Blue (The fastest color)
          '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - Blue (The fastest color)

Originally posted by atomicalex
          It feeds my love of machinery to be that close with my whole body.

Comment

But ya see, it's that very forethought that is so often missing from the moment in time that a reaction happens. I grew up in an "After YOU" world, and today everyone is "ME FIRST!!"...especially when driving. So being able to get yourself into the mindset of "It's okay, I'll just hang back" is what it's all about.
            Originally posted by bikebitsmall
            64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
            Originally posted by CaptCrash
            A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugguts View Post
              But ya see, it's that very forethought that is so often missing from the moment in time that a reaction happens. I grew up in an "After YOU" world, and today everyone is "ME FIRST!!"...especially when driving. So being able to get yourself into the mindset of "It's okay, I'll just hang back" is what it's all about.
              I grew up in a world like that too.

So, when the world down there began to turn totally selfish, I moved to a new world much like the one I grew up in.

People do dumb things on our roads, but nobody wants to waste time or energy getting all spun up about it.

We just shrug it off and motor on.

We will waste time and energy helping others out. (There's a actual law that requires you to stop, check, and render aid to disabled vehicles or stranded people.)

I genuinely feel sorry for those of you who cannot find a non-threatening place to ride/drive.

During the summer months, we can go for sunny rides in the middle of the night, and have hundreds of miles all to yourself.

On second thought, that sounds kind of selfish.....
              The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

sigpic
              2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo

Comment

Working...
              X