No announcement yet.

5 off-duty officers among bikers in SUV incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't want to extrapolate "all LEO's" from this, any more than I would want to extrapolate "all bikers."

Comment

You beat me to it, mz.
      sigpic

Comment

As my old crim law professor, a former prosecutor, was fond of telling us, "The police generally are the guys in white hats. It's just the ones that aren't are the guys you hear about."
        '05 Blue Kawi EX250 - RIP 6/17/10
        Still in the market. Free is good.
        motorcycle4amonth.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not sure about that, with the proliferation of video camera's today, it seems more and more LEO have a basic disregard for people's rights. I have experienced it first hand. One of my other hobbies is aircraft spotting. More than once while I have been on public property I have had officers tell me it's not legal to photograph aircraft or airports.

I'm not trying to turn this into an all LEO's are bad...But, more and more today, LEO's have the us vs them attitude.
          09 Versys Blue and 2011 V-Rod
          08 KLR 650 Red (sold)

Retired Eagle Driver, long live the eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
            Were they armed? If not, I can see a big reason to not intervene.
            Are NY cops permitted to be armed when off duty? Or is that Chicago I'm thinking of?
            Sent from your mom's phone
            "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
            Ride Safe, Chop Safer
            "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
            "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
            Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
            sigpic
            3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

A day in life of LEO, below. I would give them a lot of benefit of doubt, at least wait for more facts to come up, before putting any blames. (Innocent until proven guilty.) A lot of LEOs start their day with expectations to get shot at. All of them may not be perfect in all possible situations. However, a profession with willingness to get shot at for something as silly as speeding or broken tail light deserves more than beyond reasonable doubt. That's my .02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L8wPiUxVU0
              I am nobody to pity anybody. I just hope to share what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
                Are NY cops permitted to be armed when off duty? Or is that Chicago I'm thinking of?
                Would probably depend on their position. A detective is probably permitted because "off duty" is a rather subjective term for them. A typical beat cop, though? I'd be surprised if they were allowed to carry.
                2007 Suzuki SV650 Naked - Daily Rider
                1994 Honda Nighthawk 250 - First Bike
                1981 Honda CB650 Custom - Project Bike

Comment

I'm willing to reserve judgement until more facts are known, but there's one that bugs me.

I have a problem with none of them coming forward within their department to tell what they knew or saw.
                  Why?
                  Because they knew they were participating in an essentially hooligan event where they knew the law was going to be broken, and they were afraid of the possible consequences of just taking part in that.
                  If it turns out that one or two of them were actually involved in the assault, then it's worse.

Tom
                  In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a problem with the LEO's being part of a group that they knew was going to break the law...The are knew ahead of time they planned to break the law, did they know about the SUV problems, no. But, the LEO's actively joined a group knowing they planned to break the law. They were going against department written policy by being part of the group.
                    Last edited by Markk9; 10-10-2013, 02:54 AM.
                    09 Versys Blue and 2011 V-Rod
                    08 KLR 650 Red (sold)

Retired Eagle Driver, long live the eagle.

Comment

Armed or not, associating with such a group is no different than had they been associating with patched out 1%-ers or a bunch of gang bangers. It's a conflict of interest.
                      Sent from your mom's phone
                      "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
                      Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                      "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
                      "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
                      Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
                      sigpic
                      3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Referring to the question can off duty NY officers carry guns?
                        The short answer is yes. Federal law permits it.

Here's the long answer:
                        http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu..._duty_firearms

In Ga. All off duty officers are required to enforce the law in any matter that involves injuries or safety.
                        (like if they happen to see a car wreck, or a fight, robbery, etc)
                        Most cops here carry concealed all the time while they are off duty.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
                        Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Shack View Post
                          Armed or not, associating with such a group is no different than had they been associating with patched out 1%-ers or a bunch of gang bangers. It's a conflict of interest.

This. +1

The only excuse would be the one undercover officer, but he's up sh*t creek without a paddle since he actively participated in the assault.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
                          Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Comment

Working...
                          X