Reconstructing a Motorcycle "Accident"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconstructing a Motorcycle "Accident"

Boss sent me this link this week. I haven't read the entire thing but sounds interesting so thought I'd pass along.....

Reconstructing a Motorcycle Accident
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!
    sigpic

Interesting. It reminds me of the university that has a "body farm" that studies bodies in various conditions of decomposition.
    I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Comment

They kicked a 'riderless' bike 'sideways' off the back of a 4 foot high truck traveling 40 mph.

Brilliant idea, that sounds just like a real live crash we've all had at one time or another,
      which one slid further, the one equipped with the ABS or the one without

Comment

Once a bike starts tumbling, the rider won't be present. Well, not ALL of him/her!

The object is to study debris patterns to reconstruct what happened, i.e., work backwards toward the CAUSE. Sometimes crash causes aren't so obvious.

(But you're quite correct - the pushing the bikes off the truck was probably more for fun, but, as long as you DOCUMENT THE RESULTS, you're not just screwing around, you're DOING SCIENCE!)
        Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
        '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

If you look at the picture, you can see they are pushing the bike off a lift gate a few inches off the ground

And since it was a traffic reconstruction class, I think that part was definitely valid. Whereas a car will usually stay on its wheels in an accident, a motorcycle never does, so they were demonstrating how different bikes behave when they go down.
          2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE
          2013 Suzuki DR200SE

Comment

Working...
          X