Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent BRC Graduates - have a question for you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent BRC Graduates - have a question for you...

Once you got out in the big, bad world, what's one piece of instruction or advice that really hit home or finally made sense or surprised you that was true?

What was something from the class that 'rang in your ears' in a stressful/dangerous/sketchy situation, and what was the situation?

Don't be shy. Don't be embarrassed. The experience you share could easily end up saving a life.

****Old-timers: let's let the new riders have this one...
    Originally posted by OBX-RIDER
    put the whiffer in the dilly
    sigpic

Drop 2 and pin it.

That's a joke BTW
    The whir of gear driven cams makes me giddy.

Comment

I resent the inference that I'm old.....
      Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
      '09 Kawi Versys

Originally posted by Overcaffeinated
      Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
      First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

sigpic

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

It's been 13 months since I took (a course similar to) the BRC, so not all that recent, but I haven't been riding long enough to be an old-timer, so here goes:

When Evaluating when you're SEEing, assume the worst case scenario. (And I'm not picking on my equally lack of experienced buddy, since I've made my share of rider errors, but it illustrates the difference between assuming best case and worse case.)

Behind a car northbound, and we just got the green light. A police siren goes off once. The cop is westbound, behind a car. I assume the cop will either continue across the intersection, or turn southbound once the car in front of him clears the way. In either case, if I don't stop, I'm going to tangle with him in the intersection. (So i stopped, obviously.)

My buddy suddenly shoots past me, just as the cop enters the intersection to cross it. My buddy hits the brakes in time,and narrowly avoids t-boning the cop. The cop instinctively slowed down when he saw the bike coming at him, which gave him enough time to stop before t-boning the cager on my left who also shot into the intersection. (At this point, I would like to point out that I'm the "crazy, reckless, crotch rocket rider", yet I'm the one who didnt nearly collide with a cop car.)

Once we got to our destination i asked him what the heck was he thinking (or not thinking), and he'd assumed that the cop was pulling over the car ahead of him, and that he'd turn northbound into the parking lane, out of our path.
        2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE
        2013 Suzuki DR200SE

Comment

I just finished the BRC this past weekend and while I'm looking for my first bike, the things I've noticed since then are interesting, lane hoppers and yellow lighters especially. A lot of guys on bikes seem to think that the yellow light means 3 cars plus a bike. It's the SEE portion of the class. Things I didn't notice last week make me a safer automobile operator around bikes today, and will make me a safer rider once I get my bike.

Comment

I don't think it was one single piece, but a realization that certain habits from learning on my own were wrong. I have been riding on and off for about 7 years and took a hiatus of about 2 yrs. I took the class with a humble mindset combined with an open mind to listen and do everything as instructed. SEE is logical enough and was not a new concept. But to be honest, because my second mistake was to ride all these years unlicensed, I never felt a need to effectively learn the proper technique for slow, tight maneuvering. This is where the figure 8 came in and to be honest, I learned the basics the proper way, passed with flying colors and realized that this class is not a waste but an investment.

In a few months 8 or so, I plan on taking the brc II because I don't think anyone should stop learning from others and obtain constructive criticism every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by revhrd View Post
              In a few months 8 or so, I plan on taking the brc II because I don't think anyone should stop learning from others and obtain constructive criticism every now and then.
              Why so long until BRC2?
              Helen

Comment

The second reason I took the class was because my son took it with me. I wanted to make sure that he took the class, understood the fine balance of respect, responsibilty and fun of riding. Instead of attempting to be self taught as I did and learn in a more difficult manner. I also have to get reaquainted with whatever bike I purchase and once he gets his, we'll take it together.

I can't stress enough how critical this class is, I didn't take it years ago because my excuse was that it was booked up and I was young and impatient.

Comment

Working...
                X