Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death on two wheels: is there anyone else who just doesn't care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death on two wheels: is there anyone else who just doesn't care?

So I was reading the latest Motorcycle Mojo magazine (if you're Canadian you should check them out), and one fella talks about Randy Scott, the guy who took "his mother's" R1 on the highway at 300 km/hr, filmed it, and uploaded it to YouTube, making him easy for cops to track down.

The author seems to conclude that not only is this irresponsible, which I agree with, but that the rider had "questionable judgement", and thought he was "good enough" to do this in traffic.

Say what?

Are there not an infinite number of worse ways to go than in a motorcycle accident?
    Is this not something people love doing?
    What's so wrong with dying on a bike?
    Has society softened up to the point that the idiom of rather dying on your feet than living on your knees is forgotten or labelled "crazy"?

Some of you know I have a thing for dancers. This thread on BBO about a student asking an instructor how to stop her boyfriend from showing off on his motorcycle, it led to a post about why you can't stop a show-off, be it a motorcyclist or a performer. It's all about measured risks, accept us or leave us, we aren't making you stay. I found this story by Arlene Phillips, well known dancer/choreography/producer/TV host/etc.: I'd rather die than suffer like dad: Arlene Phillips talks about her experience with dementia. To me, that quote hit the nail spot on. I'd rather die than suffer like dad did.

I watched my father go through four years of hell, losing his body, his mind, and his life to a terrible illness. I know there are worse ways to die, I just can't think of them because I haven't experienced them firsthand like I did with my father. When I think of two riders I knew who died in accidents, and compare to what my father went through, the thought of dying on a bike is far from the worst thing that could happen. It would almost be a relief. It's not that I'm suicidal or unappreciative for everything I still have, it's just that I don't really care.

Anyone else out there kind of indifferent towards the thought of death on two wheels?

Well.. if you get an itch to wheelie down the QEW or do stoppies on Younge St, be sure to post the video link here.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    sigpic
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Comment

I've always said that when I die, I'd like it to be quick and painless, be it on the bike, in a car, being crushed by a falling anvil, etc.
      '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
      '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Comment

Originally posted by Lezbert View Post
        I've always said that when I die, I'd like it to be quick and painless, be it on the bike, in a car, being crushed by a falling anvil, etc.
        But you forgot to add ......... collision with a guy who took "his mother's" R1 on the highway at 300 km/hr, filmed it, and crashed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
        Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Comment

For me it was,
          I watched my father go through seven years of hell, losing his body, his mind, and his life to a terrible illness. I know there are worse ways to die, I just can't think of them because I haven't experienced them firsthand like I did with my father.
          I'm with ya. But, I'm not indifferent to going the way of the Dodo bird just yet. Still a few more things in life I'd like to accomplish.
          2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
          2007 Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom ** SOLD **
          sigpic
          Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
          - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Lezbert View Post
            ...being crushed by a falling anvil, etc.
            Been watching Looney Tunes lately?
            sigpic
            Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
            - John Wayne

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad(s). But is it you don't care YOLO and want to hoon it up on the street doing stupid things, or you don't care and would rather do a bucket list of things?

Personally I don't think so much of death when I ride, instead I think how great it is that riding makes me feel alive.
              Last edited by asp125; 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM.
              sigpic
              08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
              Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
              MITGC #22

Comment

Maybe that is what being "indifferent" means and I misunderstood...I don't think about death when I'm riding, either. But, I don't ride "like I stole it", YOLO, etc. At the same time, I am looked upon as sort of wild and crazy in my family for taking the risk of being on the bike at all. I may very well be increasing my chances of not making it to my 80's by riding, but I'm OK with that.
                sigpic
                - John Wayne

Comment

My concern when I'm riding (or driving) is not what damage I might do to myself; it's what damage I might do to random innocent bystander/driver/rider.

Personally, I'm hoping to be hit by a piece of falling satellite or UFO. If it happens when I'm on the bike, I'm okay with that, too.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know I'll die some day - we all do. I don't think about death, or about how I will or won't go. Rather, I want to live life as best I can, so that when I do go, I have no regrets.

As to those wishing for quick and painless deaths, those would probably be great for you. For family and friends who love you, though, having time to prepare for your death, and to say goodbye, might actually be better.
                    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Comment

I have seen too many people close to me suffer horribly before their deaths. I totally understand. I would rather go out in a blaze of glory doing what I love than slowly and painfully wearing a diaper. I just wouldn't want any innocent bystanders getting hurt.
                      Ride Naked
                      77 KZ650
                      03 ZRX1200R
                      89 KX125
                      01 ZX-9R
                      18 H2SX SE
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by kthkern
                      KZ Is the best!!!

Comment

Its the vegetable factor! Yeah for the vegetable factor!:

If something goes wrong when you're sky diving - what's the chance you'll end up as a vegetable as a result of an accident? Quite small.
                        If something goes wrong when you're riding a motorcycle, what's the chance you'll end up a vegetable? Much higher!

So I'd say try sky diving if'n you want to do a high risk sport where the consequences of a mistake are usually fatal instead of serious life-altering injury. Sure some people die in motorcycle accidents (the lucky ones?), but far more are only serious hurt. Far more endure months to years of recovery. Far more never fully recover. You're fooling yourself if you think that there isn't a much greater chance of being seriously injured or hurt relative to dieing in a motorcycle crash.

And then there's other people involved. You make a mistake when sky diving, chances are only you get flattened on impact. Make a mistake when riding on a busy highway and there's a good chance someone else will be involved. I talked with a guy who was hit by a motorcyclist - he was driving a pickup on a two lane road when some idiot blew a blind corner and ran wide - straight into this guy's grill. He's totally innocent but still has nightmares seven years later. The impact killed the motorcyclist (again - lucky motorcyclist?), and this guy suffers as a result!

So yes, in a vacuum, when its only your life that is involved - have at it. Take risks, enjoy life and hope that the consequences aren't a life-altering disability but quick death. You're mistaken if you think the chances of dieing in an accident are greater than suffering serious life-altering injury. There's a very good chance that your accident will result in injury and not death. Then you can live with the consequences of your choice. That's the great thing about being responsible - accepting the consequences of your choices.

When you take responsibility for living in a society where your choices impact others, then you'll become a much better motorcyclist. You don't crash in a vacuum.

Yes, there are risks in everything we do. Yes, some choose a life with more risks than others. I'm not saying don't take any risks. But be responsible, think about the consequences of your choices. Your attitude of "I don't care" is stupid and juvenile.

Comment

Originally posted by phendric View Post
                          I know I'll die some day - we all do. I don't think about death, or about how I will or won't go. Rather, I want to live life as best I can, so that when I do go, I have no regrets.

As to those wishing for quick and painless deaths, those would probably be great for you. For family and friends who love you, though, having time to prepare for your death, and to say goodbye, might actually be better.
                          I understand this completely, having lost a very close friend to a massive cardiac event about five years ago. I know you just went through this with your dad. That kind of thing is shocking and devastating. OTOH, having been through long, painful illnesses with my parents, I wouldn't wish that kind of lingering on anyone. It is definitely much harder, however, for those left behind to deal with not having been able to say goodbye. As hard as it was on me, I am still very grateful that my friend didn't have to suffer the way my parents did.
                          sigpic

Comment

I should go eat some Fugu sushi then.
                            sigpic
                            MITGC #22

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin View Post
                              Its the vegetable factor! Yeah for the vegetable factor!:

If something goes wrong when you're sky diving - what's the chance you'll end up as a vegetable as a result of an accident? Quite small.
                              If something goes wrong when you're riding a motorcycle, what's the chance you'll end up a vegetable? Much higher!

So I'd say try sky diving if'n you want to do a high risk sport where the consequences of a mistake are usually fatal instead of serious life-altering injury. Sure some people die in motorcycle accidents (the lucky ones?), but far more are only serious hurt. Far more endure months to years of recovery. Far more never fully recover. You're fooling yourself if you think that there isn't a much greater chance of being seriously injured or hurt relative to dieing in a motorcycle crash.

And then there's other people involved. You make a mistake when sky diving, chances are only you get flattened on impact. Make a mistake when riding on a busy highway and there's a good chance someone else will be involved. I talked with a guy who was hit by a motorcyclist - he was driving a pickup on a two lane road when some idiot blew a blind corner and ran wide - straight into this guy's grill. He's totally innocent but still has nightmares seven years later. The impact killed the motorcyclist (again - lucky motorcyclist?), and this guy suffers as a result!

So yes, in a vacuum, when its only your life that is involved - have at it. Take risks, enjoy life and hope that the consequences aren't a life-altering disability but quick death. You're mistaken if you think the chances of dieing in an accident are greater than suffering serious life-altering injury. There's a very good chance that your accident will result in injury and not death. Then you can live with the consequences of your choice. That's the great thing about being responsible - accepting the consequences of your choices.

When you take responsibility for living in a society where your choices impact others, then you'll become a much better motorcyclist. You don't crash in a vacuum.

Yes, there are risks in everything we do. Yes, some choose a life with more risks than others. I'm not saying don't take any risks. But be responsible, think about the consequences of your choices. Your attitude of "I don't care" is stupid and juvenile.
                              I love how there was a really good discussion going, with a lot of reflection and open ended questions, and then along comes someone jumping to assumptions about what people do or don't think and calling names.

Ok buddy, you're perfect

Comment

Working...
                              X