The German Rider Training thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomicalex View Post
    One other thing worth noting.... When I read back through the thread, I found it funny that I reacted to both bikes very badly at first, but warmed up. It seems that it took me a full session to get with the controls and become comfortable. I think the take-home there is that maybe the bike seems weird at first, but it's worth it to give it another try - by the time I got to my exam, I was actually more comfortable on the BMW than on the Kawi. But it took me some time to get there.

Actually, I take back everything I said about the BMW, except the turn signal cancel. I still think that is weird.
    A related take-away from that is that when you change bikes... back it down and take some time to get to know it. Don't just jump out there and ride it like it was your old bike and expecting it to react the same.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
    sigpic

Comment

auf Deutsch, Genauso!!! (exactly!)
      Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
      2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Comment

I love m BMW turn signals! ...maybe they messed something up on the newer models. Left thumb left turn, right thumb right turn, signal cancel is by thumb OR distance traveled OR by lean sensor.

My understanding is the training course in Ontario is closer to 1 week long and nearly 1000$. Any course is far better than a piece of paper that says you can ride from home straight to the training site the day of the test only, and if you bomb the test start pushing the bike home. That's how it was back in the day and thank goodness I passed first try because home was a 20k push.

Just wait until you ride the Detroit debris field! You'll find yourself avoiding trashed picnic tables, car parts and discarded baby carriages on a daily basis riding the Detroit autobahn's

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!! And thanks for letting us ride along with you. This has been a really fascinating thread for me.
          Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!

Comment

I too have really enjoyed reading of your experiences. I really wish the US had such a comprehensive training program.

I remember hating the turn signal system on my R1100GS, but my F650GS (single) had the typical Japanese motorbike turn signals. IIRC, the big BMW had one button on each side to activate the signals, but then there was a third, separate button that was in a really awkward place for canceling either signal. The vintage mine was ('95) did not have auto-cancel, either. I didn't ever get used to that turn signal system.

As far as I'm concerned, the only bike manufacturer that got turn signals right is HD! One button on each side, press once to activate, press the same button again to de-activate, or they will self-cancel after a lean or a certain distance.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trials View Post
              signal cancel is by thumb OR distance traveled OR by lean sensor.
              Well, that would go a long way to explaining the self-cancels that I couldn't explain to myself. Ok, maybe I need to continue re-evaluating....

Detroit isn't that bad.....

I'm glad people have liked the thread.
              Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
              2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Comment

Originally posted by MsPotatoPotatoHead View Post
                As far as I'm concerned, the only bike manufacturer that got turn signals right is HD! One button on each side, press once to activate, press the same button again to de-activate, or they will self-cancel after a lean or a certain distance.
                I have a hard time when I go from the V-Rod to the Versys, H-D did get the turn signals right, and they really work well.
                09 Versys Blue and 2011 V-Rod
                08 KLR 650 Red (sold)

Retired Eagle Driver, long live the eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicalex View Post
                  Oh yes - forgot to note - I PASSED!!!!
                  Great job! You only had to do it once.

Oh man, does this mean the great stories are over? I looked forward to them. Oh well, now you have to write about your journey out into the world along. Looking towards it.

Mary
                  Novice~
                  1985 Honda Rebel 250 (Blue)
                  2007 Harley Davidson 883C Sportster (Black Beauty aka B.B.)

Comment

I agree with you about the cancel signal location. It's awkward. I have had my bike for 2 years and just now am getting mostly comfortable with it.

Otherwise I love everything about it! Except the stock seat.
                    ~Teri
                    Originally posted by Bugguts
                    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
                    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
                    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
                    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X