No announcement yet.

The German Rider Training thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is weird, it says there are 4 pages to this thread, but I can't get past 3. ???
    "Like a rich armour worn in heat of day that scalds with safety..." ATGATT.

"If you can park it and not turn around to admire it every time you walk away, you bought the wrong bike."

Comment

That's strange, I had a similar experience. I started riding a few years back after being married for a few years and after having a little one (now a six year old little monkey/daughter, can't believe how time flies). I thought my wife was going to be totally against it but, oddly, there was no argument.
      I guess if your loved one sees that it's something you really want to do and if you go about it in a mature way they will put aside their worries and go along.
      I haven't really had any second thoughts yet.
      I hope you enjoy your riding as much as I have. It's great to learn something new and to challenge yourself. This is just the beginning. Here's to many years of riding, many years of learning and having a ball.
      "I race to win" - Ayrton Senna
      "If he had survived Imola 94, we would all be racing for second place" - Michael Schumacher

Comment

Originally posted by SMLE View Post
        This is weird, it says there are 4 pages to this thread, but I can't get past 3. ???
        Which probably means that, somewhere along the line, a moderator took out a reply that had nothing to do with the topic. I've noticed this before with this software; it gets lost trying to follow the topic when you ask to see the "next page".
        Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
        '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Comment

Lesson 10: Night riding. OMFG. I thought I was going to die. Night and raining. I wear glasses. 100% humidity - no closing the visor. Poorly-aimed incandescent headlamp. That weak-ass misty wanna-be drizzle rain that rain-x doesn't help with. About 85% into the ride, I finally told my instructor I had to stop - I was not able to accurately judge the conditions on the road. I was thinking that this was a total fail, but he said that being able to recognize my limit was a huge part of the training experience, and he was happy I had the guts to tell him. I had a few priority errors, but overall, my traffic response was good. No technical errors in riding - I'm starting to enjoy the Eliminator and get a handle on the (totally FUBARd) throttle.

I am exhausted and burned out.
          Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
          2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Comment

Sounds like nightmarish conditions. Congrats on having the guts to call it quits.

Again, thanks for updating the experience. While it is an expensive and time-consuming endeavor, I would have loved to have learned this way.
            I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Comment

We interupt this thread for a public service announcement:

Originally posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
              Which probably means that, somewhere along the line, a moderator took out a reply that had nothing to do with the topic. I've noticed this before with this software; it gets lost trying to follow the topic when you ask to see the "next page".
              I've seen that odd glitch on occasion too, usually without any removed posts or moderator actions in the thread, and it's been quite a while, but I guess it may be back. As I recall it hid 3 or 4 posts at the most and once you went over that it started working right again.
              I never figured out exactly what it was, but I think one of the software updates fixed it back then. My suspicion is that it has something to do with VB software updates and browser updates not always keeping up with each other.

I'll keep a closer eye out.
              One thing you can do for now to work around the frustration of knowing there's a couple posts right there that you can't see is to go into your profile and temporarily increase your number of posts per page by 5 or 10.

Meanwhile, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Tom
              In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
              sigpic

Comment

Lesson 11: More county roads. Focus for traffic was on rail crossings and speed adjustments. Very uneventful, aside from high winds, bridges (over and under), large trucks in high winds, etc. I would make a great kite. This was my first experience with significant wind. I think I might have bruised my knees from hugging the tank. We also took a short stretch of autobahn in the wind - the large trucks were an experience! My confidence for pressing the bike is much higher - I am able to choose whether to press or lean and execute. I need to work on close turns from standing more, as pulling out of lights in the first position is still a bit of challenge to not require the entire lane of entry.

Next outing will be country roads and lots of autobahn.
                Last edited by atomicalex; 09-14-2011, 06:31 AM. Reason: add detail
                Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
                2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Comment

In your earlier lessons, my take was that you weren't learning any skills we don't teach in our classes here. You were just getting significantly more practice time. But now, between the night lesson and the wind in this one, I think you're getting a tremendously valuable set of skills we can only hint at in a weekend-long BRC. Keep it up!
                  Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!

Comment

Lesson 12: Autobahn! We take a few county roads to get to the autobahn, and then open it up. Focus is lane discipline and not getting blown around. Doggone, on-ramps are fun! I lean the bike over quite far (not quite to the pegs) and enjoy the cloverleafs. I am reminded a few times that the edge of the road is full of dirt and such and should be avoided. I have to push some things out of my head - it's hard to reprogram myself not to use the entire lane width when I only see apexes everywhere. Then we cool down riding around the town. This is by far and away my smoothest day on the bike, and my most comfortable. I feel like I am finally building muscle memory. I have two more lessons of special drives - one autobahn, and one which I imagine will be autobahn and night. It had better not rain.

A Rebel appears in the garage. It is really tiny....

Comment

So which bike are you riding on the Autobahn?
                      "Like a rich armour worn in heat of day that scalds with safety..." ATGATT.

"If you can park it and not turn around to admire it every time you walk away, you bought the wrong bike."

Comment

I'm still on the EL 252. It's top speed on paper is 145kph, but 120 is even a struggle. I had it wound out to 11K while passing, and I could feel the frame starting to vibrate enough to float the front fork. It's kind of odd to me that I can recognize so many mechanical things about the motorbike just from riding it - I guess all that time in a fixed-seat racecar was good for something! Of course, now I am fighting the bad part of that, which is the persistent command to use the entire lane that seems to be tatooed inside of my skull. That is not safe on two wheels unless I am sure there is no edge debris. I have to focus my mind on using only the driving lane, between the ruts.

I'd also like to insert a plug for smaller bikes. I was hella disappointed when I got "demoted" to the EL 252. Now, I'm having a blast with it. Sure, it's harder to ride on the autobahn due to the power limit. But in traffic, it's a breeze. The steering and braking inputs are very natural - no hammering the brake levers, no wrestling with the bars. I can lean it over without major effort. I can achieve the technique and skill points I need to. No ABS means I have to use all of my braking knowledge. It's enough to make me want to have more than one bike when I get to shopping - a mid-size tourer for longer rides, and a "little" bike for commuting and other running around.

And one oddity... I am a lucid dreamer, and I'm starting to produce lucid dreams about riding (this means that I am actually building muscle memory). However, in all cases, a kickstart mysteriously appears on the motorbike, and I seem to know how to use it. I have no idea where this is coming from, as I cannot remember riding a kickstart bike ever.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicalex View Post

And one oddity... I am a lucid dreamer, and I'm starting to produce lucid dreams about riding (this means that I am actually building muscle memory). However, in all cases, a kickstart mysteriously appears on the motorbike, and I seem to know how to use it. I have no idea where this is coming from, as I cannot remember riding a kickstart bike ever.
                          I so enjoy reading your posts. Its definitely an encouragement for me. I may be off base here but it seems the difference with us is you have a coach to push you out there pass your fear and intimidation of taking it to the next level and I must keep pushing myself. I have a goal, I want to be ready by next riding season to hang with the big boys. Here in California we can pretty much ride all year long as the weather in the valley, for the majority, is not a hindrance in the winter and fall for riding. So, I look forward to being able to push myself out there and practice, practice, practice.

I hear you on the lucid dream thing. All I do is dream about practicing; what I need to do next or what i need to put in to practice. Even as I write this I am sitting here looking out of my window at the beautiful sunny morning wanting to just hop on the bike and go practice on the streets. Who's stopping me!?! The good thing about it is that what ever maneuvers I am dreaming about, when I hop on the bike and take it out to practice, it gets better quickly. I am happy to hear someone else mention this.

I gather the dreams will subside the more we get relaxed about riding, you think? I hear the roaring of the bikes go by and I want to jump out of bed and follow. I am trying to pace myself.

Having the choices of bikes seems to work for me but my reasoning for that so far is only that having the Honda Rebel 250 and the 07 Harley D. Sportster is like having a Ford and a Lexus. One for practice and one for the grand ride. That's my lack of experience speaking, maybe. But I love them both.

If I read correctly, you only have one more session left. No doubt you will get your license after that.

Congrats on your success!
                          Novice~
                          1985 Honda Rebel 250 (Blue)
                          2007 Harley Davidson 883C Sportster (Black Beauty aka B.B.)

Comment

And I am so jealous of you, because you already have two bikes!! You can just run out and ride - I only get practice when I am out with my instructor. If I was at home in MI, I would already have a bike and be out every night practicing.

I think I will have at least three more sessions - two special drives (finish autobahn and night), and then I am supposed to spend at least one on the big bike. That will be worth any extra lessons - if I can take the exam on the big bike, I can buy whatever I want. As the bike i am most interested in straddles the limit depending on year, passing the unlimited test is a big priority for me.

The coach/instructor is a huge deal. It's almost as good as an instructed track day - which I highly recommend to anyone who will listen. There is nothing in the world like going to a really safe place and learning limits of yourself and your bike. Even if you don't reach them, you still learn your comfort zone and build confidence to handle yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicalex View Post
                              And I am so jealous of you, because you already have two bikes!! You can just run out and ride - I only get practice when I am out with my instructor. If I was at home in MI, I would already have a bike and be out every night practicing.
                              Yes, I didn't think of it that way at the time but after reading other posts of people who can't wait to get their bikes, I am blessed. My only thought at the time was I got tire of pressing my nose up against the Harley Davidson's show window over the last ten years. When I walked in the store, buying a Harley was a dream that I didn't even imagine I could own! I bought my Harley before I even took the class. I figured what was the use of dreaming and I wasn't going to do anything with it.?!? I took the MSF course and dropped my bike right before the last two sessions. I got a little scar so the coach said I was doing great and for me to practice what I learned and come back just for the riding part for free of charge.

This was great for me because I had gotten a few things mixed up in my head as you can see if you read my very first post on this site. These guys and lots of practices helped me to untangle my thinking. I restudied and researched and practice and watch videos after videos, and decided best to buy the Rebel to practice and learn on. It was a wise decision. I am not and advocate against newbies learning to ride on bikes over 500cc.

I go back to take the riding portion of the MSF course in two weeks.

Yes, I am happy I have my bikes because I would have been stuck right where I was when I left the course that day. Being able to practice have been a true blessing. Its hard to believe it has only been three and a half weeks since that class. Now I am out on the streets riding. It is definitely true what they say, practice, practice, practice and more practice.

The Honda Rebel 250 is a small bike. To me the Harley Sportster 883C is a big bike, well, at least way bigger than the Honda, and more powerful. Yet, I have to work harder on the Rebel. The Harley is much easier for me to handle. But I will continue to practice on the Honda and ride the Harley.

What is the 'big bike' you are talking about compared to here in the USA?

Mary
                              Novice~

Comment

[QUOTE=psitzmary;843901
                                This was great for me because I had gotten a few things mixed up in my head as you can see if you read my very first post on this site. These guys and lots of practices helped me to untangle my thinking. I restudied and researched and practice and watch videos after videos, and decided best to buy the Rebel to practice and learn on. It was a wise decision. I am not and advocate against newbies learning to ride on bikes over 500cc.
                                [/QUOTE]

I meant, I am NOW AND ADVOCATE against newbies learning to ride on bikes over 500cc. Sorry for all the typos.

Mary
                                Novice~

Comment

Working...
                                X