No announcement yet.

Leather in summer? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wear the Tourmaster Air Series 2 mesh jacket and it's great even in Texas heat. It's been great in temps from 28 F (with liners) to 100 F.

Comment

I have a BMW Airflow jacket. It's a lot more robust than a mesh jacket, and it's reasonably comfortable in a typical Maryland August. (95 degrees and 95%) Pricey, but the protection is worth it.

Or you could go with the Corona tank top: http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/corona.html
      Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!

Comment

Originally posted by guitardad View Post
        Or you could go with the Corona tank top: http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/corona.html
        I am going to have to cite this when I do a track day.
        I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Comment

Originally posted by mudarra View Post
          Mesh with textile over armor, hitting the asphalt as somewhere in the 50 MPH ball-park. Rolling many times, and then sliding to a stop face down.

The tear in the textile did not penetrate the armor. The tear in the mesh did not penetrate the inner mesh.

I walked away with a bruise on the underside of my elbow.

I was so happy with the results, I bought another suit just like it.

yeah, the textile seems to fair better when sliding than the mesh...

SHONUFF

What I ride
          '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
          '01 Yamaha YZF600R
          '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
          '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
          '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
          '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
          '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Comment

Define hot?

85 today and i was very cozy in my leather jacket. even contemplated undoing front vents.

But when it gets hot HOT i reach form my white mesh armored jacket. By Tourmaster.
            Ride nakked, ride Orange, shock people, have fun :+)

sigpic '08 Aprilia Shiver 750SL

PS: Ride safely! Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get You

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
              Define hot?

85 today and i was very cozy in my leather jacket. even contemplated undoing front vents.

But when it gets hot HOT i reach form my white mesh armored jacket. By Tourmaster.
              You're in Phoenix; the OP is in Maryland. 85 dF and 10% humidity is far different from 85 dF and 95% humidity.
              2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
              2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
              1987 Kawasaki KZ305
              I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                Define hot?

85deg in the humid east is more similar to a 115deg day in Phoenix. Actually the 115deg days I spent in Phoenix were more tolerable than the 85deg 95% humidity days we have here.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
                Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Comment

Yeah guys i know LOL I am from NYC originally. Dry climate rocks!
                  Ride nakked, ride Orange, shock people, have fun :+)

sigpic '08 Aprilia Shiver 750SL

PS: Ride safely! Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get You

Comment

I wear a mesh Olympia jacket ( now discontinued so it must be collectable ) when it's too hot for leather... but opt for leather when it gets hotter than that because I don't want to dehydrate...
                    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
                    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
                    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
                    Originally posted by mz33
                    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by mudarra View Post
                      85deg in the humid east is more similar to a 115deg day in Phoenix. Actually the 115deg days I spent in Phoenix were more tolerable than the 85deg 95% humidity days we have here.
                      I wholly agree. I lived in CT and NY most of my life. 115 out here is very, very, very hot, but not nearly as uncomfortable. It's much, much more important to stay hydrated, though. I'm not a big "water guy" but man, when June hits I'll go through 64 ounces in a day without even thinking about it. I'm always surprised how quickly I'll finish I gigantic bottle of water, even when I'm not going out.

So keep water on you if possible out here, and if not make frequent stops. By the time you're thirsty, you REALLY need the fluids.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by orange&black View Post
                        I go with mesh too, I know it's a one & done deal if I go down. However, I need all the help I can get since my bike goes EZ Bake Oven in the warmer months.
                        I wear a Honda Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor and zip-out liner most of the time, and my 20+ year old Wilson leather bomber jacket with a Thinsulate liner in the cold. I just got a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 overpants and love 'em--They're my new "office" out on the range!

I hope I never crash, but IF I do, my insurance company (Progressive) will pay to replace protective gear that's damaged in a crash. So if "one and done" is an issue for you, you might check to see if you've got, uh, coverage, as it were!

Lori
                        RiderCoach since 2010
                        I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
                        '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
                        '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
                        '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
                        '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
                        FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

sigpic

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Comment

I went down in a very low speed low side in a powertrip mojave and got a little bit of road rash, some of the seams busted too. Since then I don't really trust mesh, its textile or leather for me, with me usually using my Fieldsheer Interstate Leather jacket as its just as cool as most textile jackets are anyway, but provides more protection.

Comment

I just purchased a FirstGear Mesh-Tex Jacket from new enough on sale, not too pricey, especially for a one and done product. It definitely breathes much better than my textile and leather jackets. It gets to 120 here in the summer and while I'd love to wear leather, it's just not possible.

Comment

I ride a cruiser and I've got a Tour Master mesh with armor. I get a bit hot when stuck in traffic, but its perfect when I'm rolling.
                              sigpic

Comment

I also have an Olympia Airglide - mesh/armor jacket and love it. however ... in my short 2 years of riding, its barely been above 90F where I ride...
                                photos and blog
                                2013 BMW F700 GS
                                ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

Comment

Working...
                                X