Same-old same-old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same-old same-old

There is a somewhat local website here that puts up reports of stories the site's people hear on the police and fire frequencies. They don't post dozens of stories per day, but they do post some skipped over by the larger outlets, who seem to only post press releases from agencies.

Today they posted this story about a three-vehicle (two of them motorcycles) crash over the weekend. Harley rear ends a slowing car, then their companion on a Yamaha "attempted to avoid the crash by laying his motorcycle down".

After he gave up control over the motorcycle, it proceeded to hit the passenger of the Harley.

Over the past month, there have been numerous serious and fatal motorcycle crashes in the area that involved circumstances covered in professional motorcycle training at ALL levels. This one reads like a poster about "following too close for conditions" and "improper braking". Others involve failing to negotiate a curve that was well within the capabilities of the motorcycle (sweeping curve in a 35mph zone). Even a fatal lane change (rider could not keep the motorcycle within the lane boundaries and couldn't deal with the gravel alongside the road). Even crashing while intoxicated on a subdivision street.

There are very few motorcycle crashes that result from the actions of others - these crashes (and others) were started by the decisions made by riders, We are our own worst enemies.
    Last edited by WoodstockJeff; 09-14-2021, 08:56 AM.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

"the driver attempted to avoid the crash by laying his motorcycle down, the sheriff’s office said."

I swear either every news journalist is misquoting the police or every police officer responding to the journalists are mindless idiots to say this. No wonder there are so many sheep out there that subscribe to this wonderful life saving motorcycle technique!
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    sigpic
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Comment

Officers write down what the witnesses say.

I've had people in classes that truly believe this, including one guy who was ordered by the court to get a license after his most recent crash, involving a VERY expensive built-to-order chopper. He "laid it down" and slid into the ORIGINAL crash anyway. His safety chrome let him down.

He also believed the front brake would "throw him over the bars". He would NOT use the front brake until after I did a demo of just how short a distance a motorcycle can stop with using the front brake, from the speed he admits crashing from. I used a Rebel to drive the point home.
      Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Comment

Originally posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
        Officers write down what the witnesses say.
        Motorcops respond to accidents, surely they learned that much in cop school. I have a tough time believing all those Police Rodeo participants subscribe to the "lay 'er down" principal...
        Ride Safe, Chop Safer
        "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
        sigpic

Comment

Between the state police and various departments, Illinois has MAYBE 200 motorcycle-trained officers. Their utilization for covering crashes is low, in part because they're only used in daylight and as more of a "visible presence" role.
          Jeff

'13 XT250

Comment

Geez, no wonder violent crime is so high there despite the toughest gun laws in the country, they don't have anyone to enforce those laws!

We have over 200 motorcops in our local PD not counting highway patrol or North Las Vegas & Henderson PD either..
            Ride Safe, Chop Safer
            sigpic

Comment

We have a couple dozen retired cops living around here and they are some of the worst drivers ever. They drink and drive much of the time despite some of the toughest impaired driving fines in the world.

Comment

One reason to use motor officers in places like SoCal and Vegas is traffic - a motor officer can deal with packed roads better than a cruiser.

Here... blockages are more likely to come from a train crossing or the result of inclimate weather (trees/poles across roads, etc.). A cruiser can carry more gear, and can be used more effectively to block traffic to protect a crash scene. Although that doesn't always work out. Not to mention the reduced seasons that motor officers can be on the road.

That doesn't mean that officers that know how motorcycles work do not investigate crashes. It's just that they're on the "Major Traffic Crash Investigation Units" the counties have for dealing with serious crashes. They're the ones going out with the tape measures, spray paint, and such to figure out what happened. They don't talk to reporters.
                Jeff

'13 XT250

Comment

Originally posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
                  That doesn't mean that officers that know how motorcycles work do not investigate crashes. It's just that they're on the "Major Traffic Crash Investigation Units" the counties have for dealing with serious crashes. They're the ones going out with the tape measures, spray paint, and such to figure out what happened. They don't talk to reporters.
                  Ah, so it IS the reporters.
                  Ride Safe, Chop Safer
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X