Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Shack
    replied
    Holy sheep shit...I just came across another facebook group "New Motorcycle Riders" and what a huge membership base they have, easily half of which have no qualms promoting huge bikes as starters. And I thought our FB group had it bad, those big-bike BBO FB guys are amateurs!

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Shack
    replied
    So I got blasted for posting safety information at a facebook motorcycle group, a Rebel group no less. Essentially the OP asked "what do you think about these" and my answer was essentially 'they're unsafe". The blasting took off with "I'm not asking if they're safe, I just want opinions on these!" Well, English being English, "What do you think about these" is a vague question and as such any and all answers are valid. I mean I could have just said they suck and probably had less ire. Even the moderator PM'd me to tell me not to answer with safety when it isn't warranted, despite the fact safety or anything else for that matter was not mentioned.

Yep, lowest common denominator indeed.

Yep, I am no longer part of that beginner bike group.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Shack
    replied
    Well that facebook URL lasted a whopping five days. This is why you can't link photos hosted on facebook to a forum, the URL changes at random intervals.

For those that missed it, it was a pic of a front wheel with masking tape on the forks, copper rattlecan on the wheel, and copper overspray on the tire.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Shack
    replied
    Well, here's another typical FB MC group shot: mask off the forks but spray all over the tires.

"Itza bobber, dood!!!"

Leave a comment:

• AZridered
    replied
    I'm on a couple of motorcycle safety coach facebook pages. The usually informational forums hosted by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation are indefinitely off-line, but the FB pages prosper. With what do they prosper? Posts of class photos, with congratulatory posts to the graduates from other coaches. But...these are closed-group FB pages. Neither the students nor their friends or family will ever see these posts, yet there are dozens of them every week. How about the dozens of photos of class bikes parked on the course being warmed up before class? Dozens of these every week too. Even though these modern fuel injected, liquid cooled (frequently) machines require no warm up at all. There they sit, idling away. Every weekend.

Then there are the "does anyone know" questions regarding content that is printed in the instructor's guide that every single coach owns. It is not unheard of that others will argue when the correct answer is given, even when fully cited.

Leave a comment:

• NORTY
    replied
    And yet, on thumpertalk, the "What motorcycle should I buy" section is blowing up with new riders asking the age old question. We could spend all day there, and still only make a small dent in the query demand. There's even a 8-10 question self survey, to help us, help them.
    TT is supposed to cater to singles only (hence the site's name sake.) Whereas, this site caters to all things 2-wheeled, and gets virtually no traffic. I don't know what TT is doing right, and BBO is not, but there's something amiss here. Motorcycling gained in popularity, due to the pandemic, but yet this site still flounders. Shadow above, may have hit a factor though.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Shack
    replied
    Originally posted by Trials View Post
    If you want to really get them upset, remind them their Cat delete could cost thousands in fines once the government chooses to enforce it.
    Beyond the Rebel boards where the new Not-Rebel 300/500 models are the only ones being subjected to this, the rest tend to be older carbureted bikes that lack the cat-converter.

Leave a comment:

• Trials
    replied
    If you want to really get them upset, remind them their Cat delete could cost thousands in fines once the government chooses to enforce it.

"Violation of the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of the Clean Air Act may result in civil penalties. As of January 13, 2020, a person may be liable for a maximum civil penalty of $4,819 per defeat device manufactured, sold, or installed, or per vehicle tampered."

Then the offenders can get all upset about "the man" trying to keep our atmosphere slightly more clean to breathe, and they will call you names for bringing it to their attention.

Leave a comment:

• WoodstockJeff
    replied
    Not to mention that, unless they redo the title to make it a "Custom", they've "deleted" the "street" part of "street legal".

But that's just "the person" trying to "keep a modder down".

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Shack
    started a topic Why Facebook Prospers so Well!

Why Facebook Prospers so Well!

So . . . I kind of overtook the "Why This Site is Sick" thread with rants from why facebook is doing so much better, with the bottom line being unlike message boards the social media platform caters to the lowest common denominator. In other words, they're not looking for advice rather justification for their choices that have already been made and will never be swayed.

posted several popular yet disturbing trends over there, you know....super kewl mods like "front brake delete" and "cooling system delete" because the use of the word "delete" sounds more professional. Not to mention the impressive skill of "Laying it down to avoid a crash" which by comparison actually makes LPSL seem legit.

Well, here's the new recurring bit of brilliance: Swapping the handlebar mounted turn signal switch for frame mounted toggle switches. Yes, you read that correctly. These astrophysicists think it's a good idea to take their hands off the handlebar to operate a turn signal switch. My response is the same each time, but it doesn't sway the trend one bit ---

"Extend your left arm straight out for a left turn. Extend your left arm into a 90? upward bend for a right turn."
Working...
X