This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informative videos

I did a quick search and didn't find a thread on this stuff, so I'm starting one. I found some really good and informative videos on YouTube that I think would be great for anyone (especially beginners) to check out!

==

So what will I learn at the MSF BRC?
    This video gives a really good overview of what to expect and what you'll do/learn at the MSF BRC.

Information on Helmet use!
    This video gives excellent information on helmets.

Cars, Motorcycle & a common road
    This is a video from the MSF BRC (you'll get to see more of these during the class room portion).

The MSF Guide to Group Riding
    Pretty straight forward, it's a video about group riding. And always remember: Ride your own ride.

How do I get my bike on its centerstand?!
    This video shows you how to put your bike on its centerstand... of course, this is only helpful if your bike has a centerstand!

Aww crap, I dropped my bike! Now what?!
    Hey, it happens to the best of us. Welcome to the club. Now here's how to pick that bike back up.

==

I hope these are helpful, and if you find any good informative videos for newbs (an experienced folks!) feel free to post it up.

If we can try to keep the format somewhat the same as I've started that be cool or if someone has a suggestion for a different format, I'm all ears. I just want to keep it easy/fun for people to find information. Maybe it can even become a sticky if enough people find this thread to be useful.

Originally posted by hqp921 View Post
    I did a quick search and didn't find a thread on this stuff, so I'm starting one.

Yeah, dammit! Way to take initiative!

Really though, that's a great post. The admins should make it a sticky. what a great idea! hint hint.
    Last edited by blueglassman; 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM.
    sigpic Triumph!!!!!

Comment

Great post,

+10 on initiative to put it all together!

I think a sticky is definitely deserved.
      Marilyn

Comment

Thanks Jeff and Marilyn.

I just figured that since we cater to those who are new, we should try to provide some good resources; and I think videos are a good way to provide information quickly.

I'm going to try and find more useful videos to beginners, things like, a video walk through of TCLOCS, etc. I don't want it to be just a random "videos" thread, I really do want it to be a collection of useful videos. Every now and then I get good ideas, lol.

Comment

Fellow BBO member, Archania, sent me a link to a good FINE-C video:

So how do I properly and safely start this thing anyway?
          FINE-C: Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine Cut-off, Choke/Clutch. You'll learn this at the MSF BRC, or this can serve as a refresher!

The most important gear is that thing between your ears... use your brain
          From across the pond, THINK! Motorcycle Safety.

Comment

Where's all the how to wheelie and stoppie videos? Jk. I tried searching YouTube for a good push start video but couldn't find an informative one. That's something good to know for that one special day.
            www.autographcar.com

New Ride: '99 Suzuki SV650
            Old Ride: '94 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

Comment

hqp921

great post!!!

Jim from Nj

Comment

You're not going to get very far without a battery
                Okay, you won't get far with out gas either... or a bike... but here's a great video about batteries: basic information, what to look for, how to charge it, install it, maintain it, etc. If you've got questions about your particular bike & battery, visit the Maintenance and Repair Forum.

How to prepare your bike for winter storage
                For some of the luckier folks, you'll never need to do this and you can just ride year round. Lucky you. Some of us need to prep our bikes for storage when the white stuff falls from the sky. If you've got a specific question, ask someone in our Maintenance and Repair Forum.

DIY Glove Wiper... well, it actually wipes faceshields...
                What?! Sure, you might never get caught in the rain, but it'll be handy if you have some way to wipe that faceshield clean (if you have a faceshield). They do sell gloves with with a built in solution... but here's a solution for those who are handy/crafty. Oh, don't forget to pick up a rain suit if you'll be riding in the rain.

==

*I found that buymoto.com posted a few good videos on YouTube, I have no vested interest in them other than posting these videos, which I think are informative to a new rider (as well as a refresher for experienced riders).*

Got you covered: Jackets.
                Jackets come in all varieties: mesh, textile, leather, perforated leather, and a mixture of the aforementioned. This video gives an overview of what to look for in a jacket (with a focus on the Teknic Violator Pro). Take what you can from this video, and buy a jacket that best suits your needs. If you've got a specific question, swing over to the Bike Gear, Accessories, and Add-Ons Forum.

Okay, what's the deal with boots?
                This is a good video regarding picking a boot. It has a focus on racing/street boot (specifically the Sidi Vertigo Corsa Air); but gives good information on what to look for in a boot as far as different features go. As with above, take from it what you can, and buy a boot that best suits your needs. If you've got a specific question, swing over to the Bike Gear, Accessories, and Add-Ons Forum.

Motorcycle hand signals
                Whoa there tiger, we're not talking the one finger salute. Here's a look at a few universal motorcycle hand signals.

A little more advanced viewing:
                When should I change my tires?
                Your tires are the only things connecting your motorcycle to the road (well, your boots too, when you're stopped - see the video above regarding boots), they should be in good condition! You should get to know them.

How do I remove my rear wheel?
                Need to remove that rear wheel for whatever reason? Check out this video.

Wait... I removed my rear wheel... now what?
                Well, put it back on! Try this.

What about the front wheel?
                I'm glad you asked. Here's how to get that front wheel off.

While thinking about the wheel videos above, if you've got a question, try asking in the Maintenence and Repair Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedracerx7 View Post
                  Where's all the how to wheelie and stoppie videos? Jk. I tried searching YouTube for a good push start video but couldn't find an informative one. That's something good to know for that one special day.
                  I'm responding to Speedracerx7, but this goes for everyone on BBO: If you find a good video, feel free to post it up. I would appreciate it if people kept the video posts similar to what I've started:

[Bold heading]
                  [Description and link to video]

Or if you don't want to deal with formatting and writing, feel free to PM me the links. I will give you credit for finding the video. No ego here, I just want to provide information to people.

Originally posted by Donald1684 View Post
                  hqp921

great post!!!

Jim from Nj
                  Thanks Jim!

Comment

Stick E!!!!!! to the infinity.
                    -RMRR
                    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Comment

Nice job!

Tom
                      In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.
                      sigpic

Comment

PSA's

Okay, so I decided to post some PSA's, I know this is a little deviation from the instructional/informational posts, but I think it's nice to have these in one place either to pass along to a new rider, or to a non-rider. Some of these are for a rider's benefit (i.e. highlight importance of training), while some are for driver's benefit (i.e. be aware of motorcyclists).

For riders:

A PSA out of Washington
                        Be alert. Be prepared.

Massachusetts MSF PSA
                        Most rider's know their limits, plenty of them don't. Take a rider safety course.

For drivers:

AMA PSA
                        Show people on two wheels the same courtesy and respect.

New York PSA
                        Please watch for motorcycles!

Idaho PSA
                        Look twice for motorcyclists.

PSA from England...
                        Possibly NSFW: Contains nudity (it's censored though...)
                        What do we have to do to get noticed?

California PSA: May is Motorcycle Awareness Month
                        It's spring, birds are singing, the sun is shining & motorcycles are on the road once again.

PSA produced for the Tennessee Governor's Highway Safety Office
                        Looking twice save lives. Safe drivers look for riders.

Start seeing motorcyclists!
                        A funny PSA from the folks in Minnesota, don't cha know.

You didn't see me
                        A message from bikers to cagers.

Comment

Originally posted by hqp921 View Post
                          I did a quick search and didn't find a thread on this stuff, so I'm starting one. I found some really good and informative videos on YouTube that I think would be great for anyone (especially beginners) to check out!

==

How do I get my bike on its centerstand?!
                          This video shows you how to put your bike on its centerstand... of course, this is only helpful if your bike has a centerstand!
                          This is a thread with lots of great info. I think I can add to it.

The above video is good for lighter weight bikes, but isn't the best for larger, heavier touring bikes like the GoldWing or K1200LT. A member of another forum I frequent wrenched his back attempting to get his LT on the stand pressing with his right foot. An ergononimcs engineer(I think) at the seating manufacturer he works for told him the twisting motion he had to use to move the beast was too much for his back. She told him to stand facing the rear of the bike and step on the lever with his left foot. Put all of his weight on that foot. Steady the bike with the left hand and lift (some) with the right.

I had all but given up on putting my LT on the centerstand except for maintenance. Set it over on the tipover wings once and had to pick it up. It ain't light. Using the precedure outlined above, it goes up on the centerstand everytime. Much less stressful on my nerves, back, and muscles.

One way to have an easier time with the centerstand would have been to have bought a 2005 or newer model LT. They have a hydro-electric centerstand. One push of a button and it's on the stand.
                          Lee
                          BRC June '06
                          Easily the best $145 I've ever spent
                          ERC Nov '07
                          2000 BMW K1200LTC
                          2004 Yamaha FZ6 - Sold 6-9-07

Comment

Changing Your Own Tires
                            How to Unmount The Tire
                            How to Mount The Tire
                            How to Balance the Newly Mounted Tire
                            sigpic
                            corvus corax
                            IBA#22798
                            AMA#681202
                            MSF RiderCoach
                            Lee Parks' Total Control Instructor

Comment

Great videos! Being a visual learner, these really help, especially in recalling things from BRC like T-CLOCS and FINE-C. Thank you very much!
                              Jeremy
                              PHD Slackonomics

Comment

Working...
                              X