Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am thinking about getting one of these...

Contributor 10,000 Posts! Cindy's Avatar

I am thinking about getting one of these...

I sat on one Saturday and I know it is a tall bike, but I can get a lower seat and a lowering kit to bring it down. Decisions, decisions.

Cindy
    2007 BMW F650GS
    2006 Vespa LX150
    2003 BMW R1200C Montana *sold*

Over 100,000 miles since 8/02

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -Helen Keller

sanglant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy

I sat on one Saturday and I know it is a tall bike, but I can get a lower seat and a lowering kit to bring it down. Decisions, decisions.

Cindy

It's a sweet bike. A friend's wife has one, and she's getting pretty comfortable on it. She has the lowered seat, dropped the tubes, and put a suspension lowering link on it so it sits lower, too. The bike has so much ground clearance and trail that you can drop it about 3-4" before the chassis numbers become a worry. It's even a decent off-road bike, but the tires really hold it back on any kind of a trail. For truck access roads, though, it's wonderful. The twin is a nice, pleasant engine that is well balanced and has good, tractable power for the street. Even with the blocky tires, they're about a 80-90% on-road design and they stick nicely on dry pavement, and even lowered down nothing drags at even a "brisk" pace. The tank is huge, and she has never been the one to need a fill-up on longer rides. If you want it as a primarily street bike, you can swap the front 19" rim out for a 17" to get another inch lower and run better rubber if you need it.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar

Go for it Cindy!
    Get it lowered and then let me try it out! hehehehe
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Quote Originally Posted by mudarra
    Get it lowered and then let me try it out! hehehehe
    Larry,

If I do, that could be arranged.

Sanglant,

Thank you so much for the information, that sounds very promising. I was looking online for accessories for the V-strom and was surprised at how inexpensive they are for things such as heated handgrips and handguards.

Cindy
    Last edited by Cindy; 03-14-2005 at 02:33 PM.
    2007 BMW F650GS
    2006 Vespa LX150

-Helen Keller

Larry,

Cindy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

City Strom-er
    Larry,

Sanglant,

Thank you so much for the information, that sounds very promising. I was looking online for accessories for the V-strom and was surprised at how inexpensive they are for things such as heated handgrips and handguards.

Cindy
    Cindy, you'll find a few sites for the V Strom, including 2 Yahoo groups and http://forums.delphiforums.com/vstrom/start. www.twistedthrottle.com has V Strom accessories and also has a links page which will point you to other helpful sites. I've only ridden one once (Chicago's winter hit!) but I can't WAIT until Spring! If you can finagle a test ride, go for it.

why go through all the trouble? why not just get a bike thats mostly set up from the beginning for your height?

id understand if the bike looked REALLY different

Quote Originally Posted by xgambit
    why go through all the trouble? why not just get a bike thats mostly set up from the beginning for your height?

Excluding cruisers, most bikes are not set up for people our height. So we make the world fit us.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by xgambit

LOL, I'm not interested in it for its looks, silly. It's a dual purpose bike and all of them are too tall for me. This bike flies on the highway and blazes the dirt and gravel roads, what do I care what it looks like. Mudarra understands.

Besides, I already have a bike that looks "different."

Cindy
    2007 BMW F650GS
    2006 Vespa LX150

-Helen Keller

csr67

Get the Wee Strom

I've had my 2005 DL650 for about a month now, and I could not be happier about the choice. The bike is so versatile. Great seating position, visibility, plenty of power, and probably the smoothest bike I've ridden. For about $500 more, I added SW motech centerstand, crash bars, and skid plate. After removing every "S" decal and graphic, the bike looks great. Get the blue one, it's faster.

In addition to the sites mentioned above, check out stroomtrooper.com for more info. than you would ever want to know about the DL650. Advrider.com also has plenty of info. Good luck.