Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tall guy...

NIN

Question tall guy...

hello to everyone...

i've been looking into getting a bike for a while now... like most guys my age (23), of course my dream is to have a sport bike. i only have experience riding dirt bikes 3 or 4 times a year since i was about 15. also, i am planning to take the msf course in the near future (my boss is an instructor on base).

after doing a lot of research on the internet and talking to some experienced riders, i am definitely going to start with a used "beginner's" bike (hoping to shoot for about 5-10 yrs old). i have a couple options that i've been considering so far and i am looking forward to suggestions. please feel free to comment!

since i'm 6'3" and about 190, would a ninja 250r be uncomfortable for me? seems like lots of 250 cc bikes are geared toward shorter people. so, maybe could i slip into the gray area and try a ninja 500r or a suzuki sv650? i would definitely prefer a more sporty look, but i am open to suggestions!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! MikeInSLC's Avatar
    You should definitely go to a dealer or two and do some sitting...I'm 6'5'" and learning to realize that all sport bikes are too small for me! The 250 ninja looks like a toy under me, and I think the 500 isn't much bigger...but there are several factors to your size, build, inseam etc that will affect how you "fit" on a bike. Also check out the Suzuki GS500...The Suzuki Bandit 600 is a stretch as a beginner's bike, but you have some experience so it might be fine...I have one and fit on it pretty well...comfortable for long days..The Katana 600 is essentially the same engine in a sportier package. Also check out the "adventure" bikes like the BMW F650 and the Suzuki VStrom 650 (Vstrom's are pretty new, so still pricey for a first bike) .... you could probably find a 5-6 yr old f650 for 4K or so. Dual sports like Kawi's KLR650 are essentially street legal dirtbikes and are quite tall...but I know you're looking for sporty...

Just go do some sitting...while nothing on two wheels is designed for our height, you'll find several bikes that you can ride fairly comfortably.

But if Michael Jordan can ride a Ducati Desmosedici there's hope for the rest of us tall folks
    http://www.crash.net/uk/en/feature_v...cid=6&fid=6285
    07 Triumph Tiger 1050

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MarcS's Avatar
    I'm 6'2" and about 190 and started on a Ninja 250 -- the bike is a bit small, but suspension is a bigger concern which can be rectified with a SV650 rear shock and stiffer springs/higher weight oil up front. Remember, this isn't your last bike, it's your first... and a bigger sportbike will be worse; the Ninja 500 is smaller than the 250. The SV650 is nice, but may be a bit much for a newbie; I think your idea of getting an older 250 to learn on is the best; then you can probably sell it for close to what you paid, and get something a little bigger if that's what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by NIN
    hello to everyone...

i've been looking into getting a bike for a while now... like most guys my age (23), of course my dream is to have a sport bike. i only have experience riding dirt bikes 3 or 4 times a year since i was about 15. also, i am planning to take the msf course in the near future (my boss is an instructor on base).

after doing a lot of research on the internet and talking to some experienced riders, i am definitely going to start with a used "beginner's" bike (hoping to shoot for about 5-10 yrs old). i have a couple options that i've been considering so far and i am looking forward to suggestions. please feel free to comment!

since i'm 6'3" and about 190, would a ninja 250r be uncomfortable for me? seems like lots of 250 cc bikes are geared toward shorter people. so, maybe could i slip into the gray area and try a ninja 500r or a suzuki sv650? i would definitely prefer a more sporty look, but i am open to suggestions!

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not to steer anyone from one site to another, but an old BB.com thread has been recreated, with pictures of bike fit. Check out the bike fit for tall guys thread over on BaB
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline Triumph's Avatar
    I'm 6' and some change, and I feel (and look) small on my 250. 6'3 is a stretch for that thing, but certainly doable. But if the other option is a big honking sport bike...you'd be better off dealing with the cramped 250 for 6 months.
    Blaine
    2001 Yamaha YZF 600R
    1998 KLR 650
    1999 BMW R1100 RT Police
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 - Sold
    http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bfroesch.../sig_image.jpg

Unlike the SV650 the Ninja500 is a perfect beginer bike. Also look at the GS500F/E (The F is the new fully faired model, the E is the old naked bike). If your thinking of buying used dont forget the Seca II.

I own a SecaII and it fits me just fine with significant room to spare and Im 5'9" 150lbs. I was recently at the IMS show and sat on the Ninja250/500 and the GS500. The GS felt the largest about the same as my SecaII.

BTW where in Ohio are you from?
    "Aqaba is over there, it's only a matter of going." -Lawrence
    Question 13: How slow is Greg White?
    Current: 07 V-Strom 650 Blue (DL650K7)
    Year Zero

toma nova
    I'm also 6'3" and 190. My 250 fits me better than an EX500 - my knees don't fit under the tank cut-outs on the 500.

I do look a little big on the 250, but when I'm riding it, I'm having so much fun that I don't care how I look!

Check out ninja250.net for tons of info.

NIN

Thumbs up

thanks for all the replies and suggestions. i definitely will be looking more into all of these bikes and probably more specifically, the gs500, ex500 and seca II. however, i still haven't given up on the idea of getting a ninja 250 for a season or so (just like several of you mentioned). i guess a lot is going to depend on the msf course and my finances when i'm ready to buy.

marcs - is it relatively easy to mod the suspension like you mentioned?

asp125 - thanks for the link, it's a good article.

nova - thanks for the link... looks like plenty of info on there and i'll be reading most of it i'm sure.

allan - nice to see a fellow nin fan on here! i'm originally from the dayton area (and will be going back soon) but i am stationed in georgia right now.

If the Ninja250 fits you, I would not give up on it either. I have never owned one but it has a large following here. Go to the dealer and sit on each and see what fits you best.
    "Aqaba is over there, it's only a matter of going." -Lawrence
    Question 13: How slow is Greg White?
    Current: 07 V-Strom 650 Blue (DL650K7)
    Year Zero

NIN
    stopped by the kawasaki dealer on my way home from work tonight... i sat on the 250 and 500. both were good but i liked the feel of the 250 better than the 500. they had two '05s that were marked at $3299... with the msrp at 2999, isn't that a little high? anyway, i'll probably check in to one somewhere around 98 - 00 for a little better price and just throw down cash.

i hate having the itch and not being able to scratch it.....