Thread: Reminder about traction

Flirting With The Redline

Reminder about traction

Any of you who've read Proficient Motorcycling may remember the little bit on page 116 where Mr. Hough talks about the surprising lack of traction on bricks when they're wet. I had a first-hand reminder about it on my bicycle this weekend. I turned off the pavement onto the wet bricks, at a pretty reasonable speed (I thought), and as I started to turn in the other direction to go around UNC's Old Well, I felt my rear wheel slip then disappear right out from under me. My bike went one way and I went the other, sliding several feet face-down on the wet bricks.

Fortunately, the bricks that caused my fall were slippery enough that I glided over them, suffering only had minor cuts and bruises, and the bicycle required minimal adjustments before it was back in shape. It certainly served as a good reminder, though...slow way the heck down, and keep your two-wheeler as upright as possible in wet conditions!

FAF
    AKA: fireandforget
    2002 V-Star Silverado

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MotoMan's Avatar
    Good reminder! It is amazing how slippery that stuff is. Unfortunately no one takes that into account when they lay it down. Cages slip on the stuff too, ya know? I think road/sidewalk construction guidelines need to be revamped to account for such things. I promise you they aren't accounted for now.
    Jeff

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable in their apparent disinclination to do so.
    -- Douglas Adams

Happiness is not a goal to be pursued - it is the by-product of a balanced and purposeful life.
    -- Unknown

The value of life should not be determined by the geographical and political borders that surround it.
    -- Me

My ride: 2006 ZZR-600

patman3d
    Good reminder. Since it's so slippery, I wonder why some roads are left paved using only bricks.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MotoMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patman3d
    Good reminder. Since it's so slippery, I wonder why some roads are left paved using only bricks.
    'cause people think it looks pretty and honestly don't think about how slippery it is for anything on two wheels. I promise you before I started riding I never even considered how slippery bricks, paint stripes, etc. were. Now that I ride I am fully aware. It's all about education. Those who do know. Those who don't, don't.
    Jeff

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable in their apparent disinclination to do so.
    -- Douglas Adams

Happiness is not a goal to be pursued - it is the by-product of a balanced and purposeful life.
    -- Unknown

The value of life should not be determined by the geographical and political borders that surround it.
    -- Me

My ride: 2006 ZZR-600

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Some places still have cobblestones! Slippery and bumpy!

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Bricks are not only slippery when they're wet, but also when they're dusty or dirty. This is especially true of painted stripes (in parking lots, crosswalks, etc.)

If you've gone for more than a couple weeks without a good rain and you're in a relatively urban area, all the invisible microscopic flotsam and jetsam that accumulates on it can make for a dangerous surface, as well.

Pat
    "Small talk is small in every way until you try to get around it."