Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: starting the process

  1. #1
    Flirting With The Redline mbossman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    877

    starting the process

    of moving from my current ride (03 V-Star 1100 classic) up to a Luxury tourer.

    So, I went to the local BMW dealer and availed myself of their offer to test drive a K1200LT.

    Came away from it with a mixed bag of thoughts:
    on the plus side:
    - Smooth (mostly see downsides)
    - Extremely well balanced
    - Quick
    - Handles like a sportbike
    - Solid
    - Riding position (but with reservations, see downsides)
    - Lots of neat toys (wife liked lighted mirror in the trunk and the electric center stand)

    Downsides
    - need to be quick out of 1st gear into 2nd (running it up to 30 in 1st and then shifting is almost like downshifting - big jerk..probably better off jumping right to 3rd)
    - grips - too skinny. I like beefier grip
    - leg ergos - (this is what killed me on this bike) as I sat on the bike, my knees were pressed up against the fairing, no matter where on the seat I sat (forward or backward). not the most comfortable.
    - Control location - feet didn't fall naturally on the shift lever, had to point my toes to get under the shift lever...strangely tho, no problems with the brake lever.
    - Seat - wife didn't really care for the passenger seat. felt it was too stiff for her.

    Things that surprised me:
    - pegs for the passenger - would have thought boards would have been standard.
    - electric up and down on the windshield (that's cool, never encountered that before)
    - no obvious place to lock helmets.

    Overall - nice, but for $22K the niggling little issues get magnified. IMHO, for that kind of coin it should fit pretty much dead on...this was off a bit (especially with the legs). So I have to rate this as a nice bike....but not for me.

    the quest continues.

    Next up: Honda Goldwing, Yamaha Royal Star Venture and ??? (fishing for suggestions here)

    (oh yeah - i don't mean to turn this into a "convince Matt of the wonders of whatever bike I am talking about that is your favorite". this is just a list of my impressions. take it for what it's worth.)
    Politics, your bag? Come here...all view points welcomed.

    Stop complaining! 98% of the people don't care about your problems and the other 2% are happy you have 'em.

  2. #2
    Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    13,512
    The wing is nice, no doubts there, but also give the ST1300 a shot. I ride the ST1100 and love it. The ST1300 is not quite as bulky as the Wing, nor as farkle laden, but it's a damn fine touring bike. Fast, nimble, all that. So, I'd check out the ST1300 while you're also looking at the Wings ...

    Just my two cents ...
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

    2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

    * If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided


  3. #3
    Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! Big Daddy C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,335
    It you liked the Beemer, but it wasn't just perfect, you'll sit on the Wing and fall in love. Nothing else is close. And if you think the BMW had loads of gizmos, wait until you see a fully dressed wing. Cinder will have to expound on the details.

    You could also check out the HD tourers, If you want it tricked out I would say an Ultraglide, but you can pick up an Electraglide for on 15K of so. Kawasaki makes FI Nomad touring bike which is nice in that vein. Victory is making a tourer with their 100 Ci engine and more of a custom chop look too. I like their Ness inspired styling.

    Umm... hmm.. I can't think of anything else for now...

    BDC

  4. #4
    Flirting With The Redline mbossman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    877
    Clair and BDC,

    thanks for the comments, I'll check into those otions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy C
    Victory is making a tourer with their 100 Ci engine and more of a custom chop look too.

    as to the Victory, i sat on one at the Fall Bike week in MB with the wife...if we were any closer together we would have needed a hotel room...was a tad cramped.
    Politics, your bag? Come here...all view points welcomed.

    Stop complaining! 98% of the people don't care about your problems and the other 2% are happy you have 'em.

  5. #5
    Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Cinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Barrie, Ont.
    Posts
    4,671
    http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/artic...LT/splash.html

    Did someone call? First off, I've never driven the Wing. I don't have the experience. But I've ridden on the back of it for 6 years now. Weeks at a time, 1000 mile days. Have I ever complained? Nope. The above link is an article comparing the BMW K1200LT to the Honda Goldwing 1800. Since you've now ridden the Beemer you should be able to relate well to the article. BDC is right though, there are other models that attempt to be like the Wing, but aren't. The Harleys, Ventures, etc are close but not quite. The Beemer is the only direct competition. The article will sort out the differences far better than I can. The bike is smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, spacious (both for people and your stuff) and well farkled.

    Our Wing is an older 1500cc model. The 1800's are an improvement over ours. They feel sportier. I haven't been on the back of one yet but my hubby has ridden one and loved it. I don't want to appear to "convince you of my favourite" too much as, I agree, you are right, everyone has their own personal likes/dislikes/comforts etc. But, since my hubby is a motorcycle mechanic, has worked for Honda, Yamaha, BMW and Harley he has ridden most of the bikes you and others have listed. The fact that he has the Wing clearly tells you which bike has left the best impression on him. Both as a rider and as a mechanic. He's not home yet but if you''d like more info on the Wing just post the question and I'll get you an answer.

    Note; in the linked article prices and models compared are Canadian. Prices are less of course in US $$. Also, some model features may be different. We get less "versions" of the GoldWing. But, the ones we do get are optioned out.
    Last edited by Cinder; 04-17-2006 at 06:13 PM.
    2005 Yamaha Majesty & 1987 Honda CBX250-Hers
    1989 Honda GB500, 1982 Yamaha RD350LC, 1984 Honda CX650E & 2002 Kawasaki W650-His
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing-Ours, 2-up

    "Catnuts! Get A Thong On Your Chicken!"-Bugguts, March 2006...

  6. #6
    Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! Big Daddy C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,335
    Originally Posted by mbossman2

    as to the Victory, i sat on one at the Fall Bike week in MB with the wife...if we were any closer together we would have needed a hotel room...was a tad cramped.
    I didn't say it was spacious, I just said the styling was cool.....

    Some people like to be that close to their sig. others and like the up close and personal feeling. Personally, when my sig. other rode pillion and leaned on me up close just right I kinda liked it.....

    It sounds like with what you described and you priorities, you'll have a Wing in the garage soon. Update us after your ride and let us know how it goes.

    BDC

  7. #7
    Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West siiide
    Posts
    28,335
    Blog Entries
    1
    Or... you could get completely farkled out: http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?t=5996
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

    "I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

  8. #8
    Did you adjust the seat on the Beemer?
    When I test sat on one at a show they adjusted the seat height and postiton for the 'rider'. It made a bunch of difference with the controls and knee clearance.
    I wish there was a dealer closer by, I would love to try one out for real.

    mark.
    '03 Honda Silverwing ABS
    It's right turn on red AFTER stop!

    I see a light at the end of the tunnel, it is the end of the tunnel on fire.

  9. #9
    Flirting With The Redline mbossman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    877
    actually, no I didn't (didn't know that it could, but being short legged --> 6'2" with a 30" inseam, I am not sure that I can go much farther up). Although it might make a difference, I am not sure that it will address the other issues that I have with the bike, but, seeing the dealer is on the way to and from lots of places, I'll stop in again.
    Politics, your bag? Come here...all view points welcomed.

    Stop complaining! 98% of the people don't care about your problems and the other 2% are happy you have 'em.

  10. #10
    Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! Big Daddy C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,335
    I didn't see your sig there mbossman...

    Join me, and we can end this destructive conflict and rule the galaxy as father and son!

    IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •