Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Counter Steering

Counter Steering

Hi Ya'll

So Im just about in my second week of riding. After work today I decided to take a ride around the lake . I wasn't going crazy, but I leaned and ended up dragging my kick stand on the ground, pushing me back up and straight. [was a little shookin' up] Anyway, coming back around I started playing with the counter steering technique, which I only half learned in the MSF course. It seemed that the the lean and turn had much more power and "tightness". My question is:

Do I keep my body above the bike, keeping the center of gravity straight down.
    Or
    As close to the Bike as possible, keeping my body aligned with the lean.

Of course being a n00b I sure there is some other answer. Im trying not to kill myself, maybe I need to slow down?

Mikey

I just lean with the bike with the exception of tight radius turns, such as in a parking lot. Then I will counterweight the footpeg to carry out the full lock turn.

Tom
    2006 Honda VTX1300S

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Since you are dragging hard parts, move your upper body towards the inside rearview mirror in the direction of the turn. Just a slight upper body lean into the turn will help the bike turn and reduce your lean angle for a given speed/radius.

Being new to riding, you may be subconsiously leaning away from the turn. This is a bad habit that all new riders do at first. It causes the bike to use more lean angle, and may also explain why you are dragging hard parts.

Also make sure you are keeping your head up and looking through the turn. Looking down or just a short distance in front of the bike, will cause you to turn early, forcing you to take a bad line through the turn, and requiring a harder lean on the last part of the curve.
    Eyes up, look ahead and keep practicing the slow-look-lean-roll technique taught in the MSF.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Yep. What Larry says.

You want to at least have a straight line from the wheels up through your head, if not have your body to the inside of the turn.

It's easy to feel like you're leaning too much. It might be a good idea to have someone observe your technique as you practice, or even snap a few digital pics so you can see if it looks the same wa it fieels. Hint: it's going to feel like you're heeled over like a MotoGP racer with your inside knee hovering just above the pavement when you've got a lot oflean angle to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! MikeInSLC's Avatar
    If what you dragged was really your kickstand, also make sure that it is retracting into its normal place properly...most bikes store the kickstand up "high and tight" enough that several other things should touch down first.

+1 to what they said...no leaning out of the turn...i.e. being "crossed up" ...
    07 Triumph Tiger 1050

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MotoMan's Avatar
    +1 to all of the above. Lean your upper body into the turn. Pretend like you're trying to kiss your mirror.

BUT, keep your weight off the handle bars while doing this. You might have a tendency to lean onto the bars as you're leaning. You want as little weight on the bars as possible, otherwise you'll interfere with the overall natural stability of the bike. Support your weight by squeezing your legs into the tank and using your lower back.

That's all there is to it.
    Jeff

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable in their apparent disinclination to do so.
    -- Douglas Adams

Happiness is not a goal to be pursued - it is the by-product of a balanced and purposeful life.
    -- Unknown

The value of life should not be determined by the geographical and political borders that surround it.
    -- Me

My ride: 2006 ZZR-600

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! aprilmaybe's Avatar
    Chances are you can always lean more.

Since you are in LA, Keep an eye on this site....
    http://www.skillzdays.com/

The site is new but he has been running parking lot practices for a while. It has been massively beneficial to my riding.
    09 Triumph Bonneville - work perk / 04 Ducati Monster - street / 01 Suzuki SV650 - track / 08 Aprilia Tuono - his

SoCal riders check out -- www.socal-letsride.com
    Pink Cars and Stars - Tumlr

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MotoMan's Avatar
    Thanks for that link April. Looks worthwhile.
    Jeff

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable in their apparent disinclination to do so.
    -- Douglas Adams

Happiness is not a goal to be pursued - it is the by-product of a balanced and purposeful life.
    -- Unknown

The value of life should not be determined by the geographical and political borders that surround it.
    -- Me

My ride: 2006 ZZR-600

Thanks

Sweet,
    Yeah I was trying to lean the bike and shift my weight opposite the turn this morning. Doesnt work well at all, the bike popped back up straight, right in the middle of a turn. I will definitely be kissing the inside mirror from this point on. Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I started riding, I sit in my office staring out the window all day. Not gettting much done, just clock watching waiting to get back on my bike.
    Mikey
    82' 750 sabre

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broshat
    Since I started riding, I sit in my office staring out the window all day. Not gettting much done, just clock watching waiting to get back on my bike.

+100
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650