Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First aid - helmet removal

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    If an accident victim is unconscious/NOT BREATHING, and they're wearing a full face helmet, then you've got to get the helmet off in order to do rescue breathing. THAT is the ONLY case where the helmet should be removed. If the victim is moaning in pain, then chances are they're breathing. Leave the helmet on.

It takes two people to do it properly (one keeping the spine aligned, the other to do the helmet removal).

"He was moving around and moaning in pain, until we took off his helmet."

P
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou

I know this is an old thread but wanted to put this out! I took a CPR class for my security at Universal Studios. I was also an EMT for six years and am suprised at what is being taugt (kinda irked).

It is no longer the 15 to 2 ratio now you just pump. Not even rescue breaths during actual CPR!

But, what got me the most they don't train the jaw thrust anymore. Don't think it is necessary. I talked with the instructor who is also a FF/P and asked about it and we went over it for the other students in the class. I as a motorcyclist and EMT suggested it and he said sure it could save a life. I'm glad he was receptive to it!

Another thing that I always have to bring up in the class that wasn't even brought up in my EMT is placement of AED pads if the person has a pacemaker/defibrillator. At the time I was 21 going through EMT school so I definately didn't look like a heart patient. I asked the instructor it took us two weeks to find the answer. If the person has an AICD don't place the pads because they already have one. If you can't tell place the pad for the upper part on the back will do just as good! If you place it on the device it can short circuit it and kill that person. AND NEVER EVER PUT IT ON A CONSCIOUS PERSON! Don't ask me how I know because it was quite painful!

Okay enough EMT Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by lionlady View Post
    If an accident victim is unconscious/NOT BREATHING, and they're wearing a full face helmet, then you've got to get the helmet off in order to do rescue breathing. THAT is the ONLY case where the helmet should be removed. If the victim is moaning in pain, then chances are they're breathing. Leave the helmet on.

It takes two people to do it properly (one keeping the spine aligned, the other to do the helmet removal).

"He was moving around and moaning in pain, until we took off his helmet."

P
    Also wanted to add, regarding helmet removal. Keep track of the rider's helmet!!

If the victim removes their own helmet. KEEP IT NEARBY and with the rider. The EMTs/Docs will want to see it for clues as to where/how hard the victim hit anything.

P
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! megaira's Avatar
    Finally read this and honestly it scares the bejesus out of me. It's good to know, on my end, what not to do - but while I think it's a great idea and it sure as hell can't hurt, I have absolutely no faith that a panicked bystander would read a sticker on my helmet before paralyzing/killing me. lol Sad huh?

<---cynical

The guys at Cycle Gear showed this to me, The "Helmet Eject System" I am going to get one. I have been researching it and it seems pretty sound and EMT's are trained and or are training for this device now. They as well as Hospitals will be looking for this when a crash victim arrives. Here is a YouTube video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JBoh...1606F8&index=0

Thoughts?

Take care and ride safe!!

John
    I have only one weapon...

And I do not fight fair...

And if life throws me Lemons, I do not make Lemonade..

I throw them back...

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    That's actually pretty neat. I wonder how it holds up under day to day use.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
    That's actually pretty neat. I wonder how it holds up under day to day use.
    lol that's a good one, if it is used day to day, then they should not be riding motorcycles.
    Last edited by Eagalicious; 12-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    I have only one weapon...

And I do not fight fair...

And if life throws me Lemons, I do not make Lemonade..

I throw them back...

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    HA! You got me there, how about "How it holds up in a helmet worn every day."

Someone who actually used it daily needs an intervention.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Okay. Someone just posted a link to this awesome helmet removal video (from the UK) on twowheelfemales.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWiw0HFpDo

Not sure how to embed, so I posted the link. They leave out two helpful tips: An unconscious person's head is HEAVY, and a rolled up shirt, etc is VERY useful to aid in supporting the head once helmet is removed.

P

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Just wanted to comment here that best practice in auto racing (my really expensive hobby) is to bust out the P-Touch label maker and type up some nice labels with your name, blood type, and insurance info, then stick them to your helmet somewhere on the outside. For racing, we use the outside of the car that we are closest too (left for LHD, right for RHD). The P-Touch labels are quite waterproof and windproof, and you can get a lot of info on them.

I was looking at my motorrad helmet, you could even get the inverse labels and put them on the upper edge of the visor (facing out) where it overlaps the helmet body.