Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Position

Lane Position

There was a post in another thread that made me think about lane position. I'm going to post my thoughts, and let everyone shoot them down.

As a rule, I vary my lane position depending on the circumstances. If I am moving with traffic, or slower, I stay in the right lane, usually in the left track. If a car looks particularly squirrelly next to me, I’ll either speed up or back down…usually back off it a bit. I may move to the center of the lane, but I try to avoid “inviting” them over. The same is true of on/off ramps. I’ll stay in the right lane, but I kind of treat them like dogs. I back off a bit and gauge the traffic around me…then I gas it to get past quickly.

If I am moving faster than the flow, I’ll ride in the left lane in the right track. If someone wants to go faster than I am, I move a lane over to the right. On a two-lane road, I pull over to let them past me. Seldom do I ride in the left track.

Naturally, I adjust position for curves to get outside-inside-outside (delayed apex if I can’t see through the curve) without leaning into the other lane.

At stops, where I am depends on traffic, and even the type of vehicle in front of me…for example, if there’s a truck or vehicle with no back window or rearview, I position myself so I can see the driver’s side mirror, and so I have an escape route. If it’s a car with a back window and a rearview mirror, I stay centered, but pointing a little to the side, far enough back that I can shoot the gap if I need to.

Anyway…your thoughts.
    Regards,
    Collin

2005 Kawasaki EN500C (SOLD)
    1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian (SOLD)

M.I.T.G.C. #30
    (late bloomer)

It's always good to have a plan. It's important to think some of these scenarios through while you're off the bike, because they will come a little easier, more naturally, when you're on the bike. Keep thinking and analyzing different situations and visualize your reactions so they're relatively familiar to you when it's real time.

Pat
    "Small talk is small in every way until you try to get around it."

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I do a lot of the same things you do. I dont know if it's right or not, but....I do. LOL

The only difference is that I will use the left track of a lane in an attempt to make myself visible in the drivers' side mirror. I also vary my lane position a lot, in accordance to how I feel I need to make myself visible, or if I have a car on my left or right that I think I need to be away from. LOL

The only time this is different is if I"m riding staggered with H. Then, of course, I dont ride around the lane too much. Unless I'm tailgunning, then I ride wherever the heck I wanna--if I need to. LOL After hearing dalan's crash story, tho, that's in the back of my mind and I dont run too much all over the lane while staggered.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B
    I do a lot of the same things you do. I dont know if it's right or not, but....I do. LOL

The only difference is that I will use the left track of a lane in an attempt to make myself visible in the drivers' side mirror.

Are you talking about in the left lane of multiples, or on a two-lane? I just realized my post wasn't clear enough. I kind of move around some when in the left lane, but I favor the right track. I do move over as you mentioned, Missy, to make sure I enter the field of vision of the driver's left mirror...I just don't cruise in that track. I don't know why...just feels like I'm inviting someone to share. And I don't like sharing.

On a two-lane, I do favor the left track and the center. Like you said...feels more visible.

In formation, I keep the stagger, though probably not as close as some would prefer. I also don't maintain the stagger in the twisty bits.

I still need a lot of practice, beginner that I am.
    Regards,
    Collin

2005 Kawasaki EN500C (SOLD)
    1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian (SOLD)

M.I.T.G.C. #30
    (late bloomer)

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Sounds good to me Caddie.

As always there's the caveat to adjust lane postion as needed to maximize visiblility to other vehicles... which of those is more threatening varies as you go... sometimes you move to make yourself more visible to the guy waiting to pull out of driveway, sometimes for the potential left-turner, etc.

Missy, I don't worry too much about being in the mirror view of the vehicle directly in front of me. About the only thing they can do that's threatening is suddenly hitting the brakes, which I should be ready for anyway with proper following distance. Caddies strategy of being in the right track of the left lane, or the left track of the right lane makes you more visible in the side (or rear-view) mirror of vehicles in the adjacent lane. Those are the ones likely to cut you off.
    Related... On lane ownership... If you divide the lane into three tracks, where I generally ride is right on the line that divides the center track from one of the side tracks, rather than in the center of one of the tracks. It gives me some of the advantage of being to one side, but a little more to the center to claim more "ownership" from both sides.

In formation... In the real twisty bits the leader should be signaling for single file and everyone should be expanding their spacing to 2 sec. (Which is essentially the same spacing to the bike directly in front of you, 1 sec. between bikes in a stagger is 2 sec. to the bike directly in front of you). For mellower curves you should try to maintain your lane position, however a major point to the staggered formation is so that you can use the whole lane anytime you need to without clipping the bike in front or behind.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!

Stay out of cage blind spots

I also try to remember to keep out of cage blind spots, irregardless of which part of the lane you ride. I've seen cops position their full size Crown Victorias in driver's blind spots and then pull them over for speeding. It's pretty funny to see this happen, because the siren comes on loud and seemingly out of nowhere.

Don't even mention the blind spots of trucks/buses.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    I am with you TorontoBoy & in my area of central B.C., Cdn four lanes are pretty rare compared to the twisty up & down two lane ones we have here in the Cdn Rockie Mtns. I think there are more lanes in some of the larger cities like Vancouver. Still I spend most of my riding on the hwys & not the triple or even larger lanes that are not here.

Some yrs ago they used he tall clay banks & twisty roads from Penticton to my home town as being the most dangerous in B.C., though I loved wheeling the bikes into & out of those bends. Unfortunately they made it a four lane stretch so now the fun of riding is no longer there.

Funny thing is they have just as many accidents & same number loose control & take a dip into the Okanagan Lake or go into the rock walls of some of the Mtns. I guess with four lanes then more traffic can go along it.
    Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you!!!!!!

Divacycle
    I'm glad to see subvets comments on riding staggered when there are more than 1 rider (s). I see it ALL the time where 2 riders are riding side by side in the lane or the back rider on top of the front rider with no space cushion between them. I cant help think to myself what would happen if one of them had to suddently swerve or stop....disaster.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! remy_marathe's Avatar
    I'll usually default to the left-hand track of a lane, unless I'm
    - avoiding obstacles/rough patches
    - setting up for a turn
    - feel the need to bob over for a moment and let somebody on the lane to my right know I'm there.

Caddie's post has me thinking now about the following scenario: Let's say you're in packed, speedy traffic, on a four-lane highway, riding in the left-hand lane. The left lane's moving faster, so sometimes cars on the right lane will try to merge into the fast lane.

In the right track of the left-hand lane, you are more likely to be spotted by the cars to your right. This means they're less likely to go darting into the space you occupy, thus avoiding potential collisions. However, if they still manage to not see you and go for your lane, you're RIGHT THERE when they start moving in, and the gap ahead of you (in this case, the lane split on your right) has already been closed by the merging cager. You need to swerve to the left at least as quickly as the cage on your right is closing before you can do anything else, or brake hard and hope the cage behind you will spot your taillight.

In the left track, you're more likely to have people move in on you from the right for having not seen you. On the other hand, when they do, you might have time to split the lane ahead of you (in this case, the left split or shoulder), lay on the horn to stop the approach before he's fully crossed the line, or brake. Given that you're on the left track, you're directly in front of the zoned-out stare of the cager behind you, so there's a chance he'll see your brake light and do the same in time to not hit you from behind if you choose to brake.

It seems like it comes down to a question of, do you maximize your visibility to others first, or maximize your ability to avoid them when you prove invisible? For me, visibility is secondary to maintaining open escape routes, when they happen to conflict. Of course, I'm on a quiet little bike and surrounded by space cadets here.
    *squeak* ... *squeak* ... *squeak* ....
    '98 Suzuki GS500E, a.k.a. "Orange Sonya"
    15,000 miles since 2005, not all of them safe or well executed.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    It's possible to do both. No one answer is right in all circumstances, you have to balance the risks/benefits constantly.

If you're in the left hand lane you should be passing those in the lane to your right, so...
    as you approach use the right side of your lane for the visibility, when you get close enough that your space cushion becomes more important than visibility, move left until you've gotten past. Then you can move back to the right position as you approach the next car.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.