Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Price A Bike

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yep that was one of my earlier columns. Sadly it wasnt archived but I have it somewhere...

On a related note here's one of my former columns on the same topic of buying/selling:

http://web.archive.org/web/200407040...marily0304.htm

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MarcS's Avatar
    Shadow, presuming you own the copyright, you ought to just go ahead and post that in another thread in this forum.
    Ia! Ia! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fh'tagn!

Blog Entries
    Consider it done.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! HotFix's Avatar
    I always enjoyed your writing SS. I remember reading some of the articles on the old site - made me want to get a bike and try the sport out!

Flirting With The Redline JohnBryer's Avatar
    I don't see after market add-on's listed here.

For instance, I've got over $4K in extra stuff on my FJR. What is reasonable to expect for these things? If buying used, I'd certainly pay more for a Wilber's or Ohlin's suspension, but would everyone else?
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

Blog Entries
    KBB has the 05 FJR1300 (standard/non-ABS model) listed at $9210. Would you pay $13,210 for one with $4K of extra goods on it? What's a new one go for again? I like a backrest and saddlebags on a cruiser, but not for the full retail price of ones I didn't have any part of in the selection process. The extras are the enticements in the overall deal. You might like the Ohlins suspension upgrade but would you still pay extra for the rest of the stuff you may not like/care for? The thing is you've personalized the bike according to YOUR likings, so unless you get really lucky and find someone that has your same exact tastes the entire package isn't going to overwhelm them completely, and even if you do happen to find the buyer that likes all the goods they're still not going to shell out $4K over KBB for it. They may agree to something slightly over KBB, but on the other hand you'd be a fool to let the bike go for well under KBB with all the bells and whistles too. This is where it all gets tricky, and why I often recommend removing the goods/replacing with stockers and selling the goodies separately to make up the difference, or use that ploy for the bargain hunters that want to pay far less than the asking price: if they want a stock bike price, sell them a stock bike.

It might work for Harleys only because somewhere out there is a RUB that's too ignorant to pay attention to the details and quick to part with his cash...even so those $25K custom Harley classifieds last for weeks and months at a time before they finally sell, and the ad often gets edited a few times along the way. But the serious rider knows he can pick up that used softail in near-stock guise for $15K and add what he wants for far less than the extra $10K of the custom one that has lingered in the classifieds for the last two months. I don't know what the rates are in your area but here it's $40/week for three lines, so those ads that linger for two months cost the seller another $320 (price of a set of drag pipes) assuming it stays within the three lines ruling...something else to consider.
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 04-24-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline Newrider's Avatar
    ...All I know is after looking at NADA and some of the ads on Craigslist, somebody's smokin' something,and I'd say it's the sellers of alot of these bikes.. I know people are gonna try to get hooked up cause of gas, but gimme a break...or , share with the group...
    2009 Harley Davidson 883 Custom

Blog Entries
    NADA tends to be low. KBB is what dealers go by, although an unsrupulous dealer will try to buy at NADA and sell at KBB. The general rule has always been private party sales should fall somewhere between KBB wholesale and retail.

All in all, seller motivation is what drives the final figure. Some folks want to sell their bike, others NEED to sell their bike, and some are simply "dropping a line" to see if anyone bites (such as "wife wants me to sell, so I'll price it high --- if it sells then that's good, if not I can ride it some more"). The ones that are desparate to get out of their bike are the ones most likely to wheel and deal.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline Newrider's Avatar
    Cool...will look up Kelly blue book on some...
    2009 Harley Davidson 883 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Finally, consider timing. During the off season (when temperatures are regularly below 55 or so), prices drop significantly. Ultimately this is up to the buyer, seller, and area.
    I wonder if the price of Harleys drop right after the event is Sturgis is over....