Thread: Ride to Acton and back

Ride to Acton and back

It was Friday the 25th of November, it was after lunch at 12:30 pm, I got on the Yamaha 1100 and started out toward the 60 Freeway from Hacienda Heights, CA. As usual I was deciding where to go as I rode along, testing if I felt up to a longer trip or just a short ride. Decided to head out for a longer trip out to the Palmdale area. It's freeway all the way but it does put on miles and should be an adventure. Sure enough it was.

Heading up the 605 to the 210 Freeway was a breeze and on the 210 heading west, traffic slowed down and here I am behind a van and a couple sport bikes go zipping by in between the lanes and I feel sort of dorky just limping along with the rest of traffic instead of manuvering down the middle of the lanes. After a couple miles it picks up speed and we get going again so no big problem. Those in-between lanes look so narrow.

My 1100 Silverado feels so wide that I have started feeding it only low calorie gas and exercize it as much as possible but it has not gotten any thinner. May have to resort to mechanosuction, which is like liposuction only using a hammer and grinder to make it thinner.

NOw I am on the 14 freeway the Antelope Valley freeway and it really gets going. Speeds of 80 mph just barely keep up with traffic. It's a lot of steady uphill on the 14 and some slight wind but everything going along great. Have to watch my rear view mirrors as I always worry about changing lanes at 70 mph into a lane where someone is going 85 mph, which could be a bad idea. There a sign says 28 miles to Palmdale and with 100 miles on the trip meter means I should get gas soon, but usually have another 20-30 miles before reserve. Suddenly twist the throttle and nothing happening, OH-OH, where's my gas? Check to right lane and move over as I reach for the reserve switch, flick it over and power starts coming back on. First time ever using the reserve switch while underway like that, quite a moment there, but back on track. Now I am way out on the road and not many exits before Palmdale but I press on. After about 10 miles the Acton Rd exit comes up and there are gas stations so I pull off and get gas. 3.3 gallons for fill-up and it's 31 mpg this leg of trip. At this point decide to stop at McD's get a drink and get ready to ride back.

Get back on the 14 headed west and suddenly the road widens from 2 to three lanes. I was just deciding to move over to the new far right lane, when a car zips around me on the far right lane doing a good 85 mph misses me by just a foot or so and keeps on going. If I had moved over just a bit more would have been toast for sure. Again Check the mirrors, check the mirrors. I even put on a little dot mirror on the right mirror but did that after I got back. Hind sight is great in many ways.

The trip back was uneventful and fast with traffic moving along nicely. Many riders complain about the stock seats on the Yamaha 1100 but with the Firstgear overpants it was never uncomfortable or tiring. Filled up near home and calculate I got 42 mpg on the return leg. 94 miles one way from Acton fill-up, for a total of 198 miles this trip.

That's the story. If you read this far you should get a reward, but that's it. Thanks for reading, I had fun doing it and being able to write about it as well.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 13,900 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Good job, not everyone recognizes it the first time they hit reserve. And now you know that the type of riding and conditions can vary your gas mileage quite a bit.

On the mirrors... an addendum... HEAD CHECK! Always do a head check! Your mirrors can only tell you "NO, don't go now!" they don't tell you "YES, it's safe." For that you need to turn your head and look.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Absolutely correct about the head check and I generally do it but forgot to mention it. Even so, good reminder all around about checking the mirrors but also crank the head around and eyeball the road to your side just to make sure.

The mileage surprised me as it really varied depending on road and wind conditions. I had hit reserve once before on the 650 and had to pullover to figure out what happened, but that was on a side street with little traffic so I knew what to respond to from that.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 13,900 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

Sounds like you had a good ride- and are braver in heavy traffic than I am! I still prefer 'back roads' or state highways- don't think I'm ever going to be 'into' Interstate riding!

I usually flip to reserve around when I know it should happen- guess I better not count on that!