Thread: Should have done it right the first time...

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! azpenguin's Avatar

Should have done it right the first time...

I use a G4 Mac with OS X, and my wife uses the old PC. (Gateway, 400mhz Celeron, 160mb RAM.) I had replaced the original drive with a 40 gig hard disk with a Red Hat 9 Linux installation... and the disk decided to crash. But I still had the old 10 gig hard disk, and I re-installed, along with its old OEM copy of Windows 98, since we found the manual with the product keycode. Heck, she's just using it for the web and e-mail.
    Bad move.
    I've had Windows on there this time all of two weeks. The computer has already required several reboots, and of course there's the matter of keeping the anti-virus, firewalls, spyware scanners, etc. running on the machine. Firefox was installed, or course. I just re-formatted the entire drive and I'm installing Suse Linux 9.2 on it right now. Installation is going to take a couple of hours. And it's already late (actually, now it's really early.)
    I had been Windows free for close to a year now. I've been using OS X and Linux. Once you use those products, and then go back to Windows, you realize what utter crap Windows is. It's ugly, you've gotta stay on top of your system, and (I know XP is better, but I've heard plenty of horror stories) it's flat out unstable. You don't reboot OS X or Linux often. The graphical enviroments are sleek and smooth. I can run 1024x268 on my 17" monitor in Linux - in Windows it looks bad. And with Windows it feels like you've gotta put a condom over your network cable to get online safely.
    Actually, I'll really do it right in a few months - I have taken a liking to Linux, but in a few months I'm replacing the PC with a Mac Mini. I like to use my computers, not maintain them.

AntiNazi
    meh, xp is stable... i run 24/7 100% cpu folding@home. rarely reboot. i hate microsoft as much as the next guy but dude, apple is a rip off just as much if not more than M$...

I also think XP is stable,but maintenance is the trick,I keep it clean/ watch what I put in her and she always does the trick,and the only problems I have is me,I could screw up a crowbar,,,Rick
    Don't do as I do,,Do whats right

AntiNazi
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGERRICK
    I also think XP is stable,but maintenance is the trick,I keep it clean/ watch what I put in her and she always does the trick,and the only problems I have is me,I could screw up a crowbar,,,Rick
    it doesnt actually take that much maintenance, its more like just paying attention to what you are installing. and using anything but ie (which you have done). i have definately seen some systems (mine and parents friends) that are totally trashed with spy/adware. all in all, ie is the biggest screw up that M$ has ever pulled off... why in the hell would they integrate it so much as to put the ENTIRE installation at risk...

It's not a matter of hating Microsoft, it's simply a matter of product preference. (MS Office is actually a far better program on the Mac than it is on PC. Especially since they can't tie all the stuff into the operationg system like they can on PCs.) For me, Windows is the worst choice available. By the way, how do you find Apple to be a rip-off? It's nice to have a system that "just works." Also, I'm learning my way through the graphic arts field, so Mac is the system of choice.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Squelch's Avatar
    Macs are pretty expensive, especially since you can't just build your own Mac. Now that they have the Mini out, I'm hoping that more folks will start using Macs, and they'll all get cheaper. I have seven computers in my house. There is one Powerbook running OS X 10.3.7, one old 1.13 GHz running Linux, one 2.4GHz running Windows Server 2003, one Toshiba laptop running XP Home, and the other four run XP Pro. The Server has been on and running for a little over a month now, and all I do to it is periodically check for updates, and update my antivirus software. I've had plenty of Windows machines with various versions of the OS that I've kept running for weeks and weeks, with no problems.

The Powerbook is my primary computer, and I love it. But even it is not infallible. Right now, for instance, there's something wrong with Quicktime, and it won't open at all. I don't even know how to uninstall it and reinstall it. I don't know where the system files are, or anything like that. If it were one of my XP machines, I know exactly where to find the program files, how to fix the registry, and I could have had it fixed within an hour. And even if I couldn't figure it out, there are about five hundred thousand forums out there with helpful suggestions, etc. But since I am new to Macs, I haven't got a clue. And there's very little support, unless I want to pay Apple a whole lot more money. So that's one thing in Windows's favor.

I will get another Powerbook when it's time to move up from this one. But I will always have at least a few Windows machines in the house...
    Talk less, ride more.

AntiNazi
    Quote Originally Posted by azpenguin
    It's not a matter of hating Microsoft, it's simply a matter of product preference. (MS Office is actually a far better program on the Mac than it is on PC. Especially since they can't tie all the stuff into the operationg system like they can on PCs.) For me, Windows is the worst choice available. By the way, how do you find Apple to be a rip-off? It's nice to have a system that "just works." Also, I'm learning my way through the graphic arts field, so Mac is the system of choice.
    price to performance is how i find apple a ripoff... great it just works... well... my pc works too... i should hope their product works, seems like thats the expectation of EVERY product....

as far as graphics goes. imo i think its just tradition. if someone ported final cut and whatever other programs used to pc, it would be just as good if not better and the machine would be cheaper...

Your PC works... My PC works too. Oh, wait, plugging in a USB thumb drive? Hold on, need drivers. Install drivers and reboot. Wait, plugging in a scanner? Need drivers. Install drivers, reboot. Now you need to install some bloated software. Reboot again. Another security bulletin from Microsoft... wait, gotta put the latest patches in. Reboot again. Plugging in my USB Zip drive - wait, more drivers and another reboot. You start to get the idea. I've had my eMac for two years and have had to do zero maintenance to it. No reboots after installing software. And when you plug accessories into it, they work. The only device I've needed to install drivers for was a printer.
    Price to performance - we can both throw benchmarks around that prove our respective sides. The problem with trying to compare pricing is that prices are rarely compared apples-to-apples. (No pun intended.) Once you start comparing actual comparable setups, the price differences disappear in a hurry. A great column on this - http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...nges/index.php (yes, it's written by a Mac user, but the points made are valid.)
    Most of the programs used for graphics are already ported to PC. Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator - they're all on PC. But it's more than tradition. Designers want to work, not maintain their computers. We have more Macs than PCs where I work. I believe we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 Macs. (Newspapers use a bunch of 'em.) The IT department's PC people are always running around like crazy fixing things. The Mac IT people... well, they end up helping the PC people most of the time. Otherwise they really don't have a lot to do, because the Macs "just work."